The Student Room Group

EPQ

I am starting an EPQ in September and I know very little about what it is or what I have to do could anyone tell me a bit about what it is? Also has anyone got any suggestions on what topic I could base it on as I have no clue?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

See here for everything you need to know about the EPQ.
Do it on something u like. Basically u have to write a 5000 word essay on a topic of ur choice or 1000 word essay with a project (eg: a painting)
Original post by Roxibox123
Do it on something u like. Basically u have to write a 5000 word essay on a topic of ur choice or 1000 word essay with a project (eg: a painting)

thing is I don't really have any interests in anything so it's impossible to think of a topic
Original post by DataVenia
See here for everything you need to know about the EPQ.

Thank you!
Original post by tay_thompsonxo
thing is I don't really have any interests in anything so it's impossible to think of a topic

What A levels are you taking?
Original post by kaorimiyazono
What A levels are you taking?

criminology and business (I hate both)
criminology and business (I hate both)

A criminology EPQ could be really interesting although it doesn't help that you hate it. I don't know a whole lot about criminology so I can't give you any specific advice but I have a feeling that it would be easier to come up with an evaluation style question about criminology than business.

If you don't like the idea of writing 5000 words about either of your A levels, do you have any hobbies? Maybe you can do an EPQ based on one of those. Music, sport, drama, writing, art, film etc.
U could literally do it on anything. I know my friends sister liked sleeping so she did hers on sleep
A criminology EPQ could be really interesting although it doesn't help that you hate it. I don't know a whole lot about criminology so I can't give you any specific advice but I have a feeling that it would be easier to come up with an evaluation style question about criminology than business.

If you don't like the idea of writing 5000 words about either of your A levels, do you have any hobbies? Maybe you can do an EPQ based on one of those. Music, sport, drama, writing, art, film etc.

Yeah I really hate both my a-levels. No unfortunately I don't have any hobbies either, I don't like the law regarding education and how you have to be in full time education till your 18 not 16 as i hate college with a passion so i was thinking i could do it about that but idk wether thats good/appropriate.
That's good. It would be really good to see like how other people view it too
U could literally do it on anything. I know my friends sister liked sleeping so she did hers on sleep

ok, thank you. I like sleep too lol
That's good. It would be really good to see like how other people view it too

yeah maybe I'll do that. Thank you for your help
I am starting an EPQ in September and I know very little about what it is or what I have to do could anyone tell me a bit about what it is? Also has anyone got any suggestions on what topic I could base it on as I have no clue?
Thanks

dont pick epq, if you have other choices i would suggest choosing something else. it will be the death of you
Original post by Lauraxavier1
dont pick epq, if you have other choices i would suggest choosing something else. it will be the death of you

oh no why? have you done one yourself?
unfortunately my only other option was to do a 1yr alevel course but all the ones my college offer are rubbish and don't interest me in the slightest. My fav teacher said to give the EPQ a go and if I don't like it we will sort it. Is it alot of work? as I'm already failing the 2 alevels im doing and they are so much work.
oh no why? have you done one yourself?
unfortunately my only other option was to do a 1yr alevel course but all the ones my college offer are rubbish and don't interest me in the slightest. My fav teacher said to give the EPQ a go and if I don't like it we will sort it. Is it alot of work? as I'm already failing the 2 alevels im doing and they are so much work.

I did the EPQ and I think I was the only person who loved it purely because I picked a Q on a topic I really enjoy. Some people foudn it interesting. others were indifferent to it and others hated it. It is a lot of work but it doesn't feel like it if you don't procrastinate (and if you like researching your Q).

Yeah I really hate both my a-levels. No unfortunately I don't have any hobbies either, I don't like the law regarding education and how you have to be in full time education till your 18 not 16 as i hate college with a passion so i was thinking i could do it about that but idk wether thats good/appropriate.

Yeah you could do it on the education system and why you think it's bad (although remember to include the other side of the argument). Also, idk if this is helpful at all or not, but apprenticeships are an alternative to college.
I did the EPQ and I think I was the only person who loved it purely because I picked a Q on a topic I really enjoy. Some people foudn it interesting. others were indifferent to it and others hated it. It is a lot of work but it doesn't feel like it if you don't procrastinate (and if you like researching your Q).

Yeah you could do it on the education system and why you think it's bad (although remember to include the other side of the argument). Also, idk if this is helpful at all or not, but apprenticeships are an alternative to college.

oh I'm getting the impression that I' gonna hate it but I'll give it a go. thank you, i have looked into apprenticeships and continue to do so but most of them in my area are hairdressing which i have zero interest in
...i have looked into apprenticeships and continue to do so but most of them in my area are hairdressing which i have zero interest in

Have you looked at what's on offer via https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk?
Original post by DataVenia
Have you looked at what's on offer via https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk?

yeah but they are options for after college if not going to uni
oh I'm getting the impression that I' gonna hate it but I'll give it a go. thank you, i have looked into apprenticeships and continue to do so but most of them in my area are hairdressing which i have zero interest in

Good luck with it! If you're gonna hate it either way at least try and find an easy question that lets you present two or 3 opposing views in detail and allows you to draw a conclusion backed up by evidence. It'll make it more bearable.
I hope you find something you like :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest