The Student Room Group

Smoking..Moodswings?

My boyfriend started smoking over the summer and he is smoking more and more as time goes on. Since he started smoking his attitude and moods have changed drastically. He's gone from being happy and carefree to having a really bad temper and moodswings. He can go from being really happy to angry in seconds. I'm not a smoker and i dislike smoking (the smell etc.) I've compromised with him and said I don't mind him smoking with friends and stuff just as long as he doesn't inflict it on me. Last week we were spending the evening together and he left me on my own to go and smoke with his friends. I was a bit upset because it was my last night with him but when i confronted him he got really angry and it ended up with me apologising to keep the peace. He handed uni work in late last week and when he got back he stormed into the house and just exploded swearing and shouting. I thought maybe it was only me noticing it, but other people are mentioning it too. I was at his house a little while ago and he argued with his parents everyday i was there, swearing at them and everything. He never used to be like this :frown: Could smoking cause drastic moodswings and change in character like this? Or is it just coincidence that the temper and stuff started the same time as he took up smoking? Also does anyone have any ideas of how i can confront him? Sorry for the long post, thanks x
Reply 1
Erm no, smoking chills you out, unless he is trying to quit he won't be having adverse emotions from it, if anything smoking is the antithesis to this sort of behaviour
Reply 2
No.
A coincidence im afraid (although not having a fag when he wants one could be stressing him some of the time..)

PS. L-O-V-E your sig! :biggrin: <3 Seth
Reply 4
I don't think smoking would be the cause of this, no. The more likely explanation is that he's having some difficulties and as a result is displaying some symptoms - with mood swings, smoking, swearing at parents etc. being part of that.

When the moment is right, have a chat with him about how he is - don't focus on the smoking, see what's going through his mind at the moment and making him behave as he is doing.
Reply 5
But its all worth it because it's cool.

P.s i hate you because of that crappy sig and that crappy show.
Reply 6
No, smoking doesn't do anything like that.

Latest

Trending

Trending