The Student Room Group

MSc Risk & Financial Engineering (Imperial) vs MSc Stats & Comp. Finance (York)

I have 2 offers: MSc Risk Management & Financial Engineering from Imperial College and MSc Statistics & Computational Finance from York Uni.

Which is better for a career in derivatives trading, market making, prop shop trading, financial intermediation and quantitative finance in general?

I am aware imperials brand name is obviously stronger, but I believe the programme at York to be more mathematically rigorous whereas Imperials MSc is taught by the business school and NOT the dept of mathematics.

Finally considering all other career paths OUTSIDE of quantitative finance, which is the stronger programme with regards to employability? In this case would I be right in thinking Imperial due to its way stronger reputation?

Please help, Thanks a lot.
Original post by palfanc
I have 2 offers: MSc Risk Management & Financial Engineering from Imperial College and MSc Statistics & Computational Finance from York Uni.

Which is better for a career in derivatives trading, market making, prop shop trading, financial intermediation and quantitative finance in general?

I am aware imperials brand name is obviously stronger, but I believe the programme at York to be more mathematically rigorous whereas Imperials MSc is taught by the business school and NOT the dept of mathematics.

Finally considering all other career paths OUTSIDE of quantitative finance, which is the stronger programme with regards to employability? In this case would I be right in thinking Imperial due to its way stronger reputation?

Please help, Thanks a lot.

You mentioned "but I believe the programme at York to be more mathematically rigorous whereas Imperials MSc is taught by the business school and NOT the dept of mathematics", is this based on an opinion or actual fact? Look though the taught modules at Imperial, and see which course is better.

I'll be applying for Financial Technology 2023/2024 at Imperial, and initally I was put off as I too wanted the MSc to be more mathematicaly rigorous

Quick Reply

Latest