Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bringing a cat from the USA? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at going to grad school in the UK and I was wondering how hard it would be to bring my cat along when I go? I'm from the United States, California to be exact. She will be around two years old when I go. How are the policies for forign pets? She has all her shots and all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Cats are illegal in the UK due to their connections with witchcraft. She will be burnt at the stake then eaten by customs.
    Thank you for you enlightening answer. I was not aware of the illegal status of felines in the UK; I shall have to come up with a brilliant plan to sneak her past the customs officers upon entry.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea, maybe ask the uni you want to go to, or even see if theres a website about bringing pets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queenofdiamonds)
    I'm looking at going to grad school in the UK and I was wondering how hard it would be to bring my cat along when I go? I'm from the United States, California to be exact. She will be around two years old when I go. How are the policies for forign pets? She has all her shots and all that jazz.
    http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm have a look on this site

Even though your cat has had all her jabs ec she'll still need to go into quarantine, which is mainly due to the risk from rabies, most pets need to stay for at least 10 months.

Plus you've got to consider how you are going to bring your cat over etc plane travel

good luck

ReputationRep:
    As you are a resident of the United States, you should be eligible to bring your Cat into the country via the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS - providing your Cat meets the criteria) operated by DEFRA.

This does simplify matters rather substantially, and also means your Cat doesn't have to endure a lengthy (6 month) quarantine period (although again, this is dependent upon your Cat meeting the appropriate requirements). You can view more information regarding the scheme by clicking on the link below:

DEFRA - Pet Travel Scheme

If you would like any further advice, don't hesitate to contact me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! It looks like she won't have any problems meeting the standards. She's an indoor cat so I know there is no way she could ever get rabies, and she'll be micro chipped no problem. I'm so glad; I don't think I could be separated from Prudence for six months!!!

ReputationRep:
    Glad I could be of assistance

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if cats get jet lag?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by her0n)
    I wonder if cats get jet lag?
    hahaha that made me laugh!!!

the only thing is.... its expensive!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    How long will you be studying here?

I think it would be quite traumatic for a cat to have to come all this way for a while while you study. Also I don't know of any universities that would let you have a pet if you are staying on campus. A lot of privet student accomodation don't allow pets either (our land lady went as far to change our contract so that we are not allowed pets of any kind at all within her property). I know I couldn't afford to have a pet while I am away either.

It is hard but I would say 90% of us have to leave our pets behind at home.

ReputationRep:
    I would expect you would find it very hard to get rented accommodation that will allow you to keep a cat - especially a house cat. House cats aren't the norm over here whereas I get the impression in the US they are. A lot of people would consider keeping a cat indoors all the time is cruel, so be prepared to run into that response.
    If she's only 2 it's not as though she's your life-long companion. In my opinion bringing her over here would be a lot of un-necessary stress for her. I know it's hard to leave pets behind - I always say I miss my dog more than my mum when I'm at uni because I can't talk to him on the phone :p:, but it's one of those things you have to do sometimes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.