Turn on thread page Beta

Is it important to rest your muscles? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been going to the gym everyday, and I'm a little impatient to build up my muscles. So I've been going at it a bit hard, doing heavy sets of 8 every day. Is it important to give myself rest days and alternate which parts of my body I work out? Or is it simply a case of the more you do the better?

ReputationRep:
    Rest or theres no point in going.

Rest and nutrition are more important than exercise.

ReputationRep:
    It's essential you give your muscles rest now and then. Muscle tissue takes between 48-72 hours to develop following exercise, depending on how hard you work out, your work-out routine and how good you are naturally at getting oxygen + glucose to your muscles following exercise.

What happens to quite a few people who train excessively for 3-4 weeks on the trot is "overtraining". It's almost a medical condition associated with extreme lethargy and, adversely, muscle degeneration as you've ripped so much muscle tissue from excessive lifting that it can't regenerate to it's full capacity.

I'd say, if you can, go 3 times a week and work on different muscle groups each time, but make sure there's a slight element of overlap to keep everything toned

ReputationRep:
    Yes you should have at least 1 day in between a weight work out. Try alternating between cardio and weights.

EDIT: and a few days rest over the week

ReputationRep:
    ooh... so there is a point in resting. okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    Troll!

ReputationRep:
    If you were on a proper routine, you wouldn't be able to physically go every day and lift weights.

ReputationRep:
    You need to rest your muscles so that they can grow and repair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    but make sure there's a slight element of overlap to keep everything toned
    sorry what? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course rest is important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    make sure there's a slight element of overlap to keep everything toned
    Trying to interpret this statement in any meaningful capacity is making my head hurt.

OP, you need to rest after doing weights. If you are putting a lot of stress on the same muscle groups day after day you won't be able to lift as well and you won't give your muscles time to grow. Weightlifting on its own does not build muscle - you need to give your body the right nutrients (otherwise where does the muscle come from?) and time to repair the muscles after exercise. Rest and diet are just as important as lifting weights for muscle gain.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of diet, what would you suggest? In terms of key foods?

ReputationRep:
    Eat alot. Of everything.

Try not to junk. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hykim1)
    For building muscle, your main concerns are protein and total calories. So you want to eat lots and make sure you're eating plenty of things which are protein rich. So chicken, tuna, oats, milk, nuts, cheese etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    For building muscle, your main concerns are protein and total calories. So you want to eat lots and make sure you're eating plenty of things which are protein rich. So chicken, tuna, oats, milk, nuts, cheese etc etc.
    your carbs should be your first priority so your body has the fuel it needs to exercise and help stave off catabolism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    your carbs should be your first priority so your body has the fuel it needs to exercise and help stave off catabolism.
    Yeah, I guess I just assume that someone eating a large diet is going to be getting plenty of carbs anyway. Eat lots of pasta/rice/potatoes/whatever OP!

ReputationRep:
    To build muscle be as the male Lion is, eat a shed load of food eavery day, be active for short periods, the only allowed activities are sex, eating, more eating and training, and for the rest of the day sleep and rest looking swole and dangerous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hykim1)
    Check out the FITNESS STICKY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Yeah, I guess I just assume that someone eating a large diet is going to be getting plenty of carbs anyway. Eat lots of pasta/rice/potatoes/whatever OP!
    I'm korean so rice is pretty much my staple diet..

ReputationRep:
    muscle volume and strength are actually built up during rest. technically the muscle is "broken down" when exercised (this sounds very weird but its true.) therefore heavy muscle work + 1-2 days of rest is crucial.

but one could (and many people work like this) exercise one muscle group one day (eg leg, thighs, back) and let them rest the next day while working out another group (eg stomach, breast, shoulders). and day three different work our for arms, biceps, triceps. but EVERYDAY is probably not recommendabl for anyone.

the muscle are still considered to be rested and up-buildable during not too heavy cardiotraining.

sorry if theres funny english.. im not english.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.