The Student Room Group

OCR A Biology A level textbook recommendation

Hi, I'm going to be doing OCR A biology next year and was wondering if anyone can recommend me a book I can use to revise from,make notes that will get me an A/A* (ik you have yo do exam questions after ). If anyone achieved that could you tell me which book you used and how you made your notes, I dont want to waste money on books that dont contain everything in the spec.
My school wants us to buy the OCR endorsed book but I feel like it has extra content but I'm not sure.

(My school also do OCR A chem so if u have recommendations on that lmk)
Thank you!
(edited 1 year ago)
For OCR A Chemistry, you should get the OCR endorsed textbook.
Calculations in AS/A- Level Chemistry by Jim Clarke is a book I would highly recommend.
Original post by shrey1118
For OCR A Chemistry, you should get the OCR endorsed textbook.
Calculations in AS/A- Level Chemistry by Jim Clarke is a book I would highly recommend.

So would you make notes from the OCR endorsed book and would you get high results with it with exam questions of course. What are some helpful websites for OCR biology
Yes notes from the OCR endorsed book are very helpful! Also you don't have to stick to OCR A only for exam questions, other exam boards are equally helpful. I didn't do Biology for A-Levels so I'm not sure sorry.
Original post by shrey1118
Yes notes from the OCR endorsed book are very helpful! Also you don't have to stick to OCR A only for exam questions, other exam boards are equally helpful. I didn't do Biology for A-Levels so I'm not sure sorry.

Do you recommend cgp ocr A chemistry student book?
Some helpful websites for OCR A Biology is a YouTube channel called BioRach. She goes through very difficult concepts in the spec, and flags the specification points in the title of her videos.

I used her for pretty much everything that needed a bit more elaboration. I wouldn’t recommend the CGP book, get the OCR A endorsed book. It has everything that you need to know. If you think that you’re going to learn “unnecessary” information, refer to the spec whilst reading the text book. This will aid in you having accuracy with your revision.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
i got As during mocks idk how fr
I used the OCR textbook the school gave us
maths for alevel biology cgp guide (i have an online copy if u want, private message since the file size is too large to be attached)
savemyexams for practical questions and notes

also it's how u use them too
use the online ocr spec to check ur writing notes on info u ACC need and not extra things
i would create a word document and create like 50 questions per topic and write my answers, mark to see how much i knew and clear the answers for the next time i wanted to test myself on that topic which was RLLY useful before a test
every lesson make notes just so u can create those questions ^ and skim
Heya! Personally, when I did bio and chem a-levels, I mostly relied on the book provided by my school. However, I found that the book was missing details or wasn't explaining the material properly so I resorted to online resources which helped me out much more and alongside Youtube videos. If you want some recommendations, do check out Study Mind free resources with tons of free past papers for bio and chem separated by topic and revision notes :smile:

For Youtube videos, I would recommend this Youtube channel that goes over ocr bio and chem in great detail! I would also recommend just going through different resources and seeing what suits you the best! There are tons of free resources out there!
Hope this helps and good luck! Let me know if you need any more help!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya! Personally, when I did bio and chem a-levels, I mostly relied on the book provided by my school. However, I found that the book was missing details or wasn't explaining the material properly so I resorted to online resources which helped me out much more and alongside Youtube videos. If you want some recommendations, do check out Study Mind free resources with tons of free past papers for bio and chem separated by topic and revision notes :smile:

For Youtube videos, I would recommend this Youtube channel that goes over ocr bio and chem in great detail! I would also recommend just going through different resources and seeing what suits you the best! There are tons of free resources out there!

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you so much for your help!
Original post by StudyMind

Milena G.
UCL PFE
Study Mind

i vouch for using studymind for past papers, they helped me massively in developing exam technique. lifesavers fr

Quick Reply

Latest