The Student Room Group

seeing a GP about chronic pain

i’m going into year 13 next year (currently on my summer break) and i’ve had issues with chronic pain since year 11, with frequent (now painkiller-resistant) headaches and migraines since childhood. i’ve kept my chronic pain under wraps really, not seeing a GP or teacher about it, since it feeds into my mental health issues and my family doesn’t really care much about my increasing pain and fatigue (and they don’t know about my bad mental health, which is a result of a complicated and traumatic childhood that they refuse to acknowledge; i’ve had to go undiagnosed as a result because it’s not safe for them to know and they have access to all of my medical records).

i’m also worried about how i’ll talk to my GP about my pain what if it gets written off as all “in my head”? i’m a black, muslim, teenage girl and if my symptoms aren’t serious enough, will i just get sent home with paracetamol and a doctor who thinks i’ve wasted their time? i have dull, aching, constant pain all over my body, from my fingers to my toes, i can’t be touched without it hurting, i’m so exhausted i can barely move most days, i have a headache on most days too and anything sugary instantly induces a migraine, i get random shooting pelvic pains and going out to run errands for my family leaves me incapacitated for the rest of the day because my pain and fatigue just gets worse with activity. i can’t bend over without my lower back feeling stiff and sore but everyone thinks i’m being selfish and lazy. i have good days but even those days involve a degree of pain.

as i’ve mentioned, although i’m over 16, my parents can still access my records without needing my consent. i can’t talk about my crippling depression, what could possibly be PTSD, or anything that makes my physical pain worse. i look perfectly fine on my UCAS form but my mental health and chronic pain & fatigue get in the way of my studies so much, i feel like i’m so close to giving up but i just don’t know what to do. i can’t sleep because of the pain but i have to push through the day because i’m also a young carer.

how can i get my GP to take my chronic pain seriously? should i mention my mental health issues to them, despite the fact that it’s probably going to make my home situation worse? how can i somehow get this down as an extenuating circumstance in time for the October UCAS deadline? i’m really sorry for the long post but i just feel hopeless. i don’t want to diagnose myself with anything, but i’m tired of not knowing what’s wrong with me.
Your parents can't access your medical records-that would be against patient confidentiality
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
i’m going into year 13 next year (currently on my summer break) and i’ve had issues with chronic pain since year 11, with frequent (now painkiller-resistant) headaches and migraines since childhood. i’ve kept my chronic pain under wraps really, not seeing a GP or teacher about it, since it feeds into my mental health issues and my family doesn’t really care much about my increasing pain and fatigue (and they don’t know about my bad mental health, which is a result of a complicated and traumatic childhood that they refuse to acknowledge; i’ve had to go undiagnosed as a result because it’s not safe for them to know and they have access to all of my medical records).

i’m also worried about how i’ll talk to my GP about my pain what if it gets written off as all “in my head”? i’m a black, muslim, teenage girl and if my symptoms aren’t serious enough, will i just get sent home with paracetamol and a doctor who thinks i’ve wasted their time? i have dull, aching, constant pain all over my body, from my fingers to my toes, i can’t be touched without it hurting, i’m so exhausted i can barely move most days, i have a headache on most days too and anything sugary instantly induces a migraine, i get random shooting pelvic pains and going out to run errands for my family leaves me incapacitated for the rest of the day because my pain and fatigue just gets worse with activity. i can’t bend over without my lower back feeling stiff and sore but everyone thinks i’m being selfish and lazy. i have good days but even those days involve a degree of pain.

as i’ve mentioned, although i’m over 16, my parents can still access my records without needing my consent. i can’t talk about my crippling depression, what could possibly be PTSD, or anything that makes my physical pain worse. i look perfectly fine on my UCAS form but my mental health and chronic pain & fatigue get in the way of my studies so much, i feel like i’m so close to giving up but i just don’t know what to do. i can’t sleep because of the pain but i have to push through the day because i’m also a young carer.

how can i get my GP to take my chronic pain seriously? should i mention my mental health issues to them, despite the fact that it’s probably going to make my home situation worse? how can i somehow get this down as an extenuating circumstance in time for the October UCAS deadline? i’m really sorry for the long post but i just feel hopeless. i don’t want to diagnose myself with anything, but i’m tired of not knowing what’s wrong with me.

I'm in my late twenties and still haven't spoken to a doctor about my chronic pain, so I understand the anxiety. I feel like there's not much they can offer me, though they may be able to help you with your migraines and headaches. Some doctors can be very unsympathetic and dismissive which really doesn't help, but there are some great doctors! Your best option is simply to speak to a doctor. If they're dismissive, it sucks and doesn't feel good, but nothing's stopping you from seeing another doctor for support. Sometimes it takes time to find a good doctor. I'd imagine if you told the doctor how it's all affecting you, how long it's been affecting you etc., they'll take you seriously and want to help you. :smile:
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Your parents can't access your medical records-that would be against patient confidentiality

They can if they work in the surgery. Mine did after I saw my GP about my MH. They are not supposed to do it but nothing happened to my parent when they looked up my records.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS

i was made to sign a consent form, giving them my “consent” to see my medical records when i turned 16 and so my Patient Access account is still linked to that of my parents.
They can if they work in the surgery. Mine did after I saw my GP about my MH. They are not supposed to do it but nothing happened to my parent when they looked up my records.

i’m really sorry you had to deal with that :/
i was made to sign a consent form, giving them my “consent” to see my medical records when i turned 16 and so my Patient Access account is still linked to that of my parents.

I that case, you can contact your surgery and say you no longer consent to this.

Hey,

I am sorry what you have gone through but i recommend you to go see and see gp cuz it can be a serious medical condition and your parents cannot see your medical history without your permission.

You can withdraw consent at any time:smile:
Reply 9
Original post by -Eirlys-
I'm in my late twenties and still haven't spoken to a doctor about my chronic pain, so I understand the anxiety. I feel like there's not much they can offer me, though they may be able to help you with your migraines and headaches. Some doctors can be very unsympathetic and dismissive which really doesn't help, but there are some great doctors! Your best option is simply to speak to a doctor. If they're dismissive, it sucks and doesn't feel good, but nothing's stopping you from seeing another doctor for support. Sometimes it takes time to find a good doctor. I'd imagine if you told the doctor how it's all affecting you, how long it's been affecting you etc., they'll take you seriously and want to help you. :smile:

Yeah its rather hit and mioss unfortunately. I got lucky in my GP is very helpful, to a point, with it and has sent me for every scan/test she can think of to find out what is causing it :rolleyes: The supposed expert neurologist was just a **** though to the point i yelled at him :lol:Agree with the bit about seeing a doctor though, if theyre an ass just find another one etc. eventually youll find a useful one. If you have an idea about your condition you can even look them up by specialty to specifically book an appointment with them.
Other than that though, especially with chronic pain, theres not too much they can do bar experiment with painkillers to see what works. I imagine an SSRI or something like gabapentin would be their first port of call from what you described (or just apap :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest