Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok - Have a 1.8 mk3 VW golf GL.

Last night was driving home, up a hill, foot nearly all the way down on the gas.

As I reached the crest of the hill, the accelerator pedal jammed down... pretty dangerous..

Had to obviously declutch, roll the car to the side of the road and switch it all off. - Hazards came on, I got out and managed to un-jam the pedal somewhat, and I limped the car home.

Now, obviously this is a pretty dangerous thing to be going wrong with a car, is there anything I can do myself to stop this happening again? - without taking it to the garage (I don't mind getting my hands dirty).

ReputationRep:
    sue them!

ReputationRep:
    It's in the garage now.

My baby

ReputationRep:
    dont put the pedal that for down in future. theres a limit to full throttle. bending the pedal back aint gonna give you more power. its not a serious problem because its only going to get stuck on when your at full throttle anyway. besides you can always dip the clutch/force it into neutral/turn engine off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    It's in the garage now.

My baby
    kind of put an end to your own thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob)
    kind of put an end to your own thread
    Yes, I need it for tomorrow - so if people weren't going to be super quick in replying... I had no choice but to run it down to the mechanic.

I so wish I could afford something brand new and reliable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I need it for tomorrow - so if people weren't going to be super quick in replying... I had no choice but to run it down to the mechanic.

I so wish I could afford something brand new and reliable.
    Brand new cars are not always reliable. Do you know what it stuck on, maybe the car mat?

ReputationRep:
    Ok - Have a 1.8 mk3 VW golf GL.

Last night was driving home, up a hill, foot nearly all the way down on the gas.

As I reached the crest of the hill, the accelerator pedal jammed down... pretty dangerous..

Had to obviously declutch, roll the car to the side of the road and switch it all off. - Hazards came on, I got out and managed to un-jam the pedal somewhat, and I limped the car home.

Now, obviously this is a pretty dangerous thing to be going wrong with a car, is there anything I can do myself to stop this happening again? - without taking it to the garage (I don't mind getting my hands dirty).
    Service your car :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Might've been something wrong with the throttle cable, although when that happened to my car (fortunately while stopped in a car park) the pedal moved fine, but engine was stuck at full throttle because the cable was frayed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeb375)
    Might've been something wrong with the throttle cable, although when that happened to my car (fortunately while stopped in a car park) the pedal moved fine, but engine was stuck at full throttle because the cable was frayed.
    This is what my mechanic said would more than likely be the problem. Hasn't phoned me back about it yet though.

ReputationRep:
    Sticky throttle cable is the obvious place to look. One of our tractors does it, but we've never done anything about it as it never goes on the road. Its never caused a problem yet. In a car though, its a bit different!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.