The Student Room Group

PG diploma

Whats the difference between postgraduate diploma and masters qualification? is PG Dip any less than a masters in terms of future employment options? Do you get a proper graduation ceremony for a diploma?
Original post by Amarah Mohmd
Whats the difference between postgraduate diploma and masters qualification? is PG Dip any less than a masters in terms of future employment options? Do you get a proper graduation ceremony for a diploma?

My understanding of taught masters degrees is that they consist of 120 credits of taught courses, plus a 60-credit dissertation. If you pass the taught part, but fail (or choose not to do) the dissertation component, than you can be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip). (This is, of course, subject to the university's regulations -- this might not be universal.)

Some universities might offer a course as a standalone PGDip without the option to do a masters degree in that discipline.

An employer's view might vary -- some might specifically want a master's qualification; others might want a postgrad qualification of some type (but not necessarily a master's); some might just want a degree at bachelor level or above.

Whether you get to attend a graduation ceremony is likely to depend on the specific university's policies.
Original post by martin7
My understanding of taught masters degrees is that they consist of 120 credits of taught courses, plus a 60-credit dissertation. If you pass the taught part, but fail (or choose not to do) the dissertation component, than you can be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma (PGDip). (This is, of course, subject to the university's regulations -- this might not be universal.)

Some universities might offer a course as a standalone PGDip without the option to do a masters degree in that discipline.

An employer's view might vary -- some might specifically want a master's qualification; others might want a postgrad qualification of some type (but not necessarily a master's); some might just want a degree at bachelor level or above.

Whether you get to attend a graduation ceremony is likely to depend on the specific university's policies.

it is my dream to study at a top university like UCL or Imperial but the tuition fees for a masters is really high which I think my parents won't be able to afford as an international student so I m confused whether I should do a masters at a not so prestigious uni or do a PG diploma at a top uni (as the fees for diplomas is lower than that of masters)
My university doesn’t demand a dissertation for certain masters (and it’s only 30 credits of the 180)

Think the diploma is where you fail to pass all 180 credits though at mine.
it is my dream to study at a top university like UCL or Imperial but the tuition fees for a masters is really high which I think my parents won't be able to afford as an international student so I m confused whether I should do a masters at a not so prestigious uni or do a PG diploma at a top uni (as the fees for diplomas is lower than that of masters)
Original post by Catherine1973
My university doesn’t demand a dissertation for certain masters (and it’s only 30 credits of the 180)

Think the diploma is where you fail to pass all 180 credits though at mine.
Actually I checked and my llm does offer a part time 120 credit option for a pg diploma

I can’t imagine it’s as well regarded as doing an actual masters. Probably fine in more professional based masters who want you to learn stuff over the academics
So a pg in law offered by say university of law is fine if you want to get those law subject exams done. Adding a dissertation won’t suddenly make that more prestigious, that’s just to get access to funding loans.
so should I do a PG diploma at UCL/IMPERIAL or a masters at lets say Middlesex University? In other words, should I consider qualification more than the university??
Original post by Catherine1973
Actually I checked and my llm does offer a part time 120 credit option for a pg diploma

I can’t imagine it’s as well regarded as doing an actual masters. Probably fine in more professional based masters who want you to learn stuff over the academics
So a pg in law offered by say university of law is fine if you want to get those law subject exams done. Adding a dissertation won’t suddenly make that more prestigious, that’s just to get access to funding loans.
so should I do a PG diploma at UCL/IMPERIAL or a masters at lets say Middlesex University? In other words, should I consider qualification more than the university??

A post-grad diploma is about half /two thirds of a Masters degree. It is very rarely a standalone qualification for employment in the UK, mostly it's what you might be awarded if you fail a Masters. There's no relative balance between award and university, it's always better to have a Masters than a post grad diploma. A post grad diploma is very unlikely to help you professionally in the UK, unless it is to prove an interest in a relevant section of an existing career.

Hello, Amarah Mohmd
Thank you for your question, my name is Rebecca I am a Student Ambassador for Middlesex University. In terms of doing a PG Dip in Law at Middlesex University there is an option to apply for this on our website see the web page here https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/law

You will need to apply here https://misis.mdx.ac.uk/mislve/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon

We also offer scholarships https://www.mdx.ac.uk/study-with-us/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries

And unitemps has part time student jobs https://www.unitemps.com/

I hope this helps if you have any more questions feel free to message me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending