Turn on thread page Beta

Really random, and excruciatingly painful cramps in calf watch

ReputationRep:
    Now, I know muscle cramps are a perfectly normal thing, and everyone gets them, but this is getting quite ridiculous, and I want to know if its normal.
    Basicly, relitively often I get woken up by the most agonising pain in my calf, always the same one, only ever when I'm asleep, and its always terrible. Like crying, near to screaming out, hard to breathe kinda pain..which lasts several minutes.
    If it had just happened once, I wouldn't be fussed, but the fact that is occurs reasonably regularly, and always in the same leg whilst I'm asleep...I dunno what I'm actually expecting anyone to say tbh..Anyone had any experience of this?

ReputationRep:
    i think i get this, but i dont get it regularly, just every so often. Does it kind of feel like the muscles trapped but someones pulling it out? Cos thats kind of what i get but its hard to explain. I dont know how to get rid of it though

ReputationRep:
    I can't describe the pain..other than it is totally hellish and I want rid of it. Actually, It kinda feels like the muscle is too big for the skin, like its expanding and is going to explode :| ish...thats the best way I can explain it

ReputationRep:
    U're either sleepin in a weird position or u have a build up of lactic acid, when that happens just massage ur leg give it 5 min and u'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    This is quite common in adolescents.

http://rrjmd.home.att.net/illnesses/legcramps.htm

ReputationRep:
    i get this..... i literally wake up and start screaming because of it, excruciating pain really like no other!!!

there called night cramps and are, apparently, relativly common (although i've only ever know my dad and i to get them).

it happens when the muscle is already in a contracted state, it then spasms, contracting even further....hence causing the pain!!!!

no one really knows the cause of it, but some believe its to do with dehydration and salt/vitamin inbalances.

i stopped putting extra salt on things (i never put it on my vegs or in my cooking anymore) and that seems to help. i still get them occasionally but not quite as offten.

hope this helps a little

ReputationRep:
    that happens to me all the time but i don' think there's anything you can do to get rid of it. it is really painful but mine only lasts about a min but then i can't walk properly for quite a while after, i can still feel it. but it won't kill and its not like it comes everyday so iam not too bothered about it. i've had it for years now.

ReputationRep:
    I get this but it's not when I'm sleeping. It normally occurs when i'm like sitting in a position with my legs stretched out for long periods of time. Afterwards, I try to move them to one side or put them on the floor and feels like my legs are about to break off.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I can still feel slight pain in my calf this morning, ugh.
    Ohh, less salt eh? I do tend to over salt things.....this is an interesting idea

ReputationRep:
    i hardly eat salt so that can't be the only cause

ReputationRep:
    Oh goody. I can continue to give myself coronary heart disease then. yay salt

ReputationRep:
    Read it's down to salt imbalance/dehydration too so maybe taking a large glass of water to bed would help ase the cramps.

It is horrible when first thing you wake up to in the morning is a searing pain in your calf or thigh.

ReputationRep:
    this happens to me sometimes... not on a regular basis though, and in different places

sometimes ii get it in my foot, or calf, once i got it near my chest and i thought i was having a heart attack :rolleyes:

but usually if u massage it, it goes away... the pain is so agonising... but that's the only advice i have, haven't found anything else that works much

ReputationRep:
    Massage eh...I'll try that next time. Usually im too busy writhing in pain and clawing at the sheets to think "oh, massage will help this pain"

ReputationRep:
    I get it too ouchhh

ReputationRep:
    I get it too! I tried to explain it to my parents and they just looked at me as though I was mad- nice to know I'm not the only one.
    Hmm too much salt, I'll try drinking more before I go to bed.
    Erugh just thinking about it makes my legs hurt!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...n.id-4150.html

Basically, stretch, eat more nutrients & drink more water.

I get them all the time but mostly when I have been disobeying my dietary intolerance. So it definitely has to do with vitamins in my case!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarCAZm)
    I can't describe the pain..other than it is totally hellish and I want rid of it. Actually, It kinda feels like the muscle is too big for the skin, like its expanding and is going to explode :| ish...thats the best way I can explain it
    yeah I get this sometimes, but only every so often. It's absolutely agonising for a few minutes. I think it's the position you've slept in or something. I find the best way of dealing with it is not to try to move it AT ALL. like keep ridiculously still and it is a bit less painful.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sarCAZm)
    Now, I know muscle cramps are a perfectly normal thing, and everyone gets them, but this is getting quite ridiculous, and I want to know if its normal.
    Basicly, relitively often I get woken up by the most agonising pain in my calf, always the same one, only ever when I'm asleep, and its always terrible. Like crying, near to screaming out, hard to breathe kinda pain..which lasts several minutes.
    If it had just happened once, I wouldn't be fussed, but the fact that is occurs reasonably regularly, and always in the same leg whilst I'm asleep...I dunno what I'm actually expecting anyone to say tbh..Anyone had any experience of this?
    I get this, I've even been to the doc and he says just to put deep heat on it.

Deep heat does seem to work, but it's not the most ideal solution, try stretching the muscle before you go to bed

ReputationRep:
    I get this too, but it generally happens when I've been wearing heels that day and/or stretch in bed.. You can stop the pain straight away if you pull your foot up (hard to explain) so you are stretching your calf muscle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.