Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by lessthanthree)
    define normal.

Homosexuality is no longer listed as a deviation from social norms from a diagnostic point of view.

Ergo, that can only remain your opinion, and not fact.
    I didn't say "social norms"

Define normal:

Biology. Functioning or occurring in a natural way; lacking observable abnormalities or deficiencies.

(Original post by lessthanthree)
    Homosexuality is no longer defined as abnormal in accordance with the definitions of abnormality set by the APA, BPA etc etc. That's the way practicioners are defining normality, and it is therefore the definition that we live by.
    No, it's the definition you live by.

The APA, BPA are operating to enhance the well-being of political correctness. As such, they've concocted their own distorted and subjective view of "normal"
    However, if they've decided that homosexuality is normal, one would conclude that pedophilia is normal too.

That would therefore mean that it's only encapsulted in your subjective veiw of normality, and not one that we are generally forced to live by in everyday life.
    What the APA should be teaching is......yes, homosexuality is abnormal, but so is autism, down syndrome, albinism and numerous others. However, they should not be discriminated against, should be given equal opportunity and accepted into society for what they are.

(Original post by Douglas)
    No, it's the definition you live by.

The APA, BPA are operating to enhance the well-being of political correctness. As such, they've concocted their own distorted and subjective view of "normal"
    However, if they've decided that homosexuality is normal, one would conclude that pedophilia is normal too.

What the APA should be teaching is......yes, homosexuality is abnormal, but so is autism, down syndrome, albinism and numerous others. However, they should not be discriminated against, should be given equal opportunity and accepted into society for what they are.
    You equate homosexuality and paedophilia, good lord...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)

Took the words right out of my mouth...But anyway back on topic. Don't Christian groups like the above in the USA have anything better to do with their time?

Think i just answered my own question.

(Original post by foolfarian)
    If you're asking if homosexuality and pedophilia are abnormalities, then yes, I equate them in that sense only.

Let me ask you.....Do you think homosexuality is normal??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    People do complain.

I think that they are right about sponge bob. It's always seemed gay to me, and I think that Focus on the Family is right to try to keep kids from it.
    yes, i can see the enormous psychological damage spongebob could inflict.

ReputationRep:
    tsk, tsk
    much ado about nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    That the Christian groups are seeing something that just ain't there. As usual.
    I believe they are expressing the opinion that, Spongebob is a character that is a recognised homosexual icon and that, in the context of this video, it is an effort to use a childs innocence to promote a political message. I happen to believe that the message that homosexuality should be accepted, is a good one, but Family groups are within their rights to object that this message come from the television and minority groups rather than the family of the child itself.

ReputationRep:
    Ive only seen bits and pieces of this show- I never picked up the gay thing. I thought the whole show was just a big acid trip- The flowers in the sky and living in mushroom houses. All I could think of when seeing this show was, "Man, these people are obviously on drugs'. My little bro would watch it and I would always refer to it as the 'acid' cartoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    My little bro would watch it and I would always refer to it as the 'acid' cartoon.
    I've seen it briefly...it kinda reminded me of Ren and Stimpy...WHICH RANKS AS A CLASSIC .... (for me)

Douglas: It could be argued that Homosexuality is normal in the genetic spectrum of humanity, as it counters any overpopulation problems...would India or China have the same problems if half the population was gay?

So, in a nutshell, I think that the occurance of homosexuality is completely normal, and actually part of god's design.

Now , I personally think that Focus on the family is paranoid, but honestly as long as we just let them shout, everyone can see thier point of view, and judge for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    If you're asking if homosexuality and pedophilia are abnormalities, then yes, I equate them in that sense only.

Let me ask you.....Do you think homosexuality is normal??
    You're obviously defining normal as 'a state of being that is experienced by the majority', in which case no one is normal. We all have something that sets us apart - I am not normal because most people like tomato ketchup and I don't, but I wouldn't expect an American pressure group to start telling TV companies to stop promoting the disliking of ketchup.

As I'm sure your teachers told you in infants' school, the thing that makes us all normal is that we have 'abnormalities'. We are all the same because we are different.

ReputationRep:
    For 'normal', read 'right'. Then reassess your answer.

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with GLBT people? (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgendered) I swear...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.