The Student Room Group

Help with pilobolus fungi question

How is the carbon cycle affected by pilobolus fungi?
Thank you!
@AnimalLoverSimba

Hi sorry nobody has helped u for so long! DW, here comes Sheldon to your rescue! :colondollar:

If you are doing A levels, then this Q is just testing ur knowledge on the C cycle i.e. ignore the genus name "Pilobolus" - it is ONLY there to scare you!

If at uni, yes then it might matter to know about the specific type of fungus, yeah?

Ok, first for A level biology:-
Fungi cause putrefaction [rotting] agreed? So ask yourself what is used to do this and what is produced? You will defo have seen mould on your mum's stale bread [sorry not meant as an insult to mum - just happens sometimes!]. The process that occurs is some kind of fermentation isn't it? So probably something pretty "yucky" might be released we can work out like lactic acid or alcohol [ok some people might think alcohol is not yucky lol - I am not bothered as I look after my fitness so drink v little].

So in your answer you just say v concisely may be in point form to grab your marks:-
------ rotting food + dead plants/animals
------ carbon from carbohydrates, fat, etc released by action of fungus as alcohol/lactic acid
------ animals like dogs & pigs who will eat anything consume this putrefied matter
------ carbon released into atmosphere as CO2
------ carbon enters roots of new plants as carbonate
------ more carbohydrate produced by photosynthesis

If at uni doing bioscience or botany [even Sheldon had to look this up in his grandpa's massive volumes of Britannica :colondollar:]:-

QUOTE: "Pilobolus has to pass through the GI tracts of grazing animals as part of their life cycle. Because the animals avoid foraging near their excrement [unlike dogs], the fungi use a squirt-gun mechanism to disperse their spores up to 3 metres (10 feet) away from the parent fungus and onto uncontaminated vegetation. The ballistic discharge, thought to reach speeds of up to 50 mph, is accomplished by the release of highly pressurized fluids . The sporangia are equipped with a sticky mucus ring that adheres to vegetation when wetted by the propelling fluids. Once eaten, the spores pass through the digestive tract intact and are deposited into a fresh substrate of dung, thus perpetuating the asexual life cycle".

Good luck & be safe!
M
Thank you, Sheldon!

By any chance do you watch Big Bang Theory?
Original post by AnimalLoverSimba
Thank you, Sheldon!

By any chance do you watch Big Bang Theory?

No probs - my pleasure and tysm for the rep!

Not only do I watch BBT - I am in it lol! :colondollar: - the series is so funny - great fun!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending