Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Am currently deciding where to take my GDL next year. As I'm sure we're all aware, many MC firms (as well as others) specify where they want you to take both the GDL and the LPC.

My question is; does it really matter that much? If I don't have a TC offer, but I apply to say Nottingham, is that a major problem? Financially, I'd be much better off living in Nottingham compared to London (where I'd be studying for two years). Does this put me at a disadvantage if I were to choose to study somewhere other than BPP or CoL?

Incidentally, how do people rate Nottingham as a GDL provider? I've heard that it doesn't matter too much where you go, the quality is (largely) the same?

EDIT: Also, when are you other non-law students applying for TCs? I thought it was January onwards, but have managed to confuse myself...

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter where you do the GDL.

Though, practically, if you haven't got a TC yet then BPP and CoL have lots of careers experience in helping people get into corporate firms. I doubt this would matter that much though...

Nottingham is a highly rated law school. I beleive Alexander is currently doing the GDL there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    As I'm sure we're all aware, many MC firms (as well as others) specify where they want you to take both the GDL and the LPC.
    Wrong. I can only think of one firm which currently specifies where their future trainees do the GDL, and one more which is starting next year. (The LPC, of course, is an entirely different matter).

Yep, I'm at Nottingham. It's as highly rated as CoL/BPP, so you needn't worry about course quality. I chose Nottingham as, like you, I thought that for financial reasons it'd be utter madness to do the GDL in London, unless you're living rent-free with your parents. Even though I get £2k extra maintenance grant for when I do the LPC in London next year I'm still going to be worse off than I am in Nottingham - the money will be entirely swallowed up by increased rent and transport costs. Not looking forward to it. (Just agreeing with you here!)

There is, however, a certain practical benefit to living in London if you don't yet have a TC as it would, of course, be easier to go to interviews/open days/attend vac schemes etc., plus the careers services are probably the most geared up to City firms. On the other hand, there are quite a few people with TCs on the GDL at Nottingham who are aiming for City firms (in fact a clear majority of people here seem to be aiming at London firms of some sort) and they seem to be getting on okay. After all, it's just a train journey.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished the GDL at College of Law. Go to BPP, they are much more organised and they completely spoon-feed you. I know spoon-feeding can be bad...but the GDL is a RIDICULOUSLY tough course and some spoon-feeding is needed. So go to Bpp.

At the College of Law they expect you to do everything yourself. For example they will give you problem questions to complete but they do not always provide you with answers. They will usually give you some answers in your seminar group. However if you miss any seminars then your absolutely screwed. Everyone falls behind on the GDL at some point...and it's extremely hard to catch up.
    GO TO BPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

ReputationRep:
    I think the best bet is to go and visit and get a feel for the different institutions. Find out as much as you can about the resources and facilities offered. Also factor in how many contact hours you get and the mode of delivery - lectures, tutorials, face to face tuition vs online learning etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelic_19)
    I've just finished the GDL at College of Law. Go to BPP, they are much more organised and they completely spoon-feed you. I know spoon-feeding can be bad...but the GDL is a RIDICULOUSLY tough course and some spoon-feeding is needed. So go to Bpp.

At the College of Law they expect you to do everything yourself. For example they will give you problem questions to complete but they do not always provide you with answers. They will usually give you some answers in your seminar group. However if you miss any seminars then your absolutely screwed. Everyone falls behind on the GDL at some point...and it's extremely hard to catch up.
    GO TO BPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
    Erm the OP was actually asking whether to go to Nottingham or London; if s/he eventually decides on the latter then the classic BPP v. CoL debate can come later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexander)
    Erm the OP was actually asking whether to go to Nottingham or London; if s/he eventually decides on the latter then the classic BPP v. CoL debate can come later
    Maybe its just a gut reaction to seeing 'GDL'?! :p:

I'm not sure if I want to be in London without holding a TC if that makes sense? I couldn't justify the cost, not knowing whether I'd secure a job in the future.

How are you finding Nottingham Alexander, the city I mean? Are you in private accommodation? Easy to find? I'm guessing the answer to this will be 'yes', but have you found people (tutors included) easy to get on with? I'm *fairly* sure Notts will be my top choice. It sounds depressing, but if we ONLY talk about finances, I don't really have any other option (unless I secure a TC this cycle...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssk2)
    How are you finding Nottingham Alexander, the city I mean? Are you in private accommodation? Easy to find? I'm guessing the answer to this will be 'yes', but have you found people (tutors included) easy to get on with? I'm *fairly* sure Notts will be my top choice. It sounds depressing, but if we ONLY talk about finances, I don't really have any other option (unless I secure a TC this cycle...).
    Hello! I'm living in Goldsmith Court, the private student halls on the same street as the law school. The up side is that it's very convenient, sociable (there are plenty of other law school people here), and just generally very easy -- you just fill in a form, send off a deposit, and you've got your accommodation, and then no worries about bills or anything once you're here.

The downsides are that it is quite expensive, the bedrooms are small, the people in the accommodation office are uninterested (although there is new management just in who sound a bit better!), and there are quite a few Trent freshers living in the building (although the individual flats are usually segregated), some of whom regularly trash the place and make too much noise.

You have the option of being put in contact with other law school people to rent a private house, but if you find yourself not liking the people you end up with you might end up feeling a bit isolated. On balance, I'd probably say if you're coming to Nottingham afresh and on your own you'd be best off going for Goldsmith Ct.

In general, the law school's very sociable, lots of people come here without knowing anyone and are keen to make friends. Big night out every Thursday generally (the end of the week).

ReputationRep:
    certain firms are looking to make students do the GDL and a specific institution come 2009 (i.e. this coming year). my firm (herbies) will be doing this and, from what i've heard, a number of other firms who do the city consortium LPC at BPP, are planning on sending their GDLers there come '09.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silence)
    certain firms are looking to make students do the GDL and a specific institution come 2009 (i.e. this coming year). my firm (herbies) will be doing this and, from what i've heard, a number of other firms who do the city consortium LPC at BPP, are planning on sending their GDLers there come '09.
    Yes, I'd heard this about Herbies, and I know Slaughters has done it since last year. Do you know the reasoning behind it? It seems completely unnecessary to me. Does it have to be BPP London or can it be any branch?

There are loads of reasons why it doesn't make any sense, anyway: lots of non-law applicants don't get their training contract offers until a matter of weeks before they start the GDL, by which time they may well have accepted a place (and arranged accommodation) somewhere other than BPP. What would they do in that instance? Presumably they'd have to let the person go elsewhere. Not to mention the many who apply while on the GDL. As for the reasoning behind it, it can't really be in order to have their future trainees close at hand, as analogous final-year law students will be at universities all over the country. And I can't really imagine the GDL could be 'tailored' for a firm.

All-in-all it just seems unnecessary, and I'd certainly be a tad annoyed to be dictated to in that way.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite pleased that I'm doing the GDL at exactly the same place that I'll be doing the LPC (CoL Moorgate). They seem to have tailored the course slightly to prepare those planning to do corporate route LPCs- for example they teach us the basics of Company Law even though it's not technically on the syllabus. If someone gets an offer too late to apply to the appropriate law school, I'm sure it's not a problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'd heard this about Herbies, and I know Slaughters has done it since last year. Do you know the reasoning behind it? It seems completely unnecessary to me. Does it have to be BPP London or can it be any branch?
    Its because they strike a deal with a provider which gets them discounts if they send all trainees there, and they can use the firms' own precedents and paperwork to make starting the TC much easier.

To be honest though, who cares? I mean, if you have a tC with a firm that specifies, they'll be paying your fees, giving you a massive amount of money as a maintenance grant, and employing you for 2 years min. Hardly seems fair to then moan about where they send you to study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy1)
    Its because they strike a deal with a provider which gets them discounts if they send all trainees there, and they can use the firms' own precedents and paperwork to make starting the TC much easier.
    You don't use any precedents or paperwork on the GDL - it's an academic course, supposed to be equivalent to a law degree. As for discounts on fees, firstly the fees of providers outside London are a fair bit lower anyway (potentially lower than the discounted London price), secondly it'd be negated by London weighting of the maintenance grant (most firms give £1k extra at least), and thirdly by the standards of a City law firm's budget for graduate development it'd be a negligible amount of money saved anyway.

As I said before, I still can't see any real sense to it - although naelse, I'd be interested in hearing more about what you get taught on Company Law. Is it a proper course with classes etc., or is it just a couple of lectures or something?

To be honest though, who cares? I mean, if you have a tC with a firm that specifies, they'll be paying your fees, giving you a massive amount of money as a maintenance grant, and employing you for 2 years min. Hardly seems fair to then moan about where they send you to study.
    I'm not sure that's the best way of looking it. Firstly, law firms do not offer training contracts out of altruism; they offer them as they expect you to qualify, and they hope you'll then stay on and work very hard and bill loads of hours to make lots of money for the partners. Additionally, recruitment is a two-way process: obviously students want to secure TCs, but at the same time law firms want to grab the best students. If lots of good candidates offer feedback that they are displeased at being dictated to as to where they do the GDL then I would expect the law firms would listen.

ReputationRep:
    a massive amount of money as a maintenance grant,
    Not sure £7-8k would cover your living costs in London. fine if your parents live there and you can live rent free!

Does anyone know the score if you end up with a TC that specifies GDL/LPC provider and you haven't applied to that provider? Do firms have x places reserved?

ReputationRep:

I'm not sure that's the best way of looking it. Firstly, law firms do not offer training contracts out of altruism; they offer them as they expect you to qualify, and they hope you'll then stay on and work very hard and bill loads of hours to make lots of money for the partners. Additionally, recruitment is a two-way process: obviously students want to secure TCs, but at the same time law firms want to grab the best students. If lots of good candidates offer feedback that they are displeased at being dictated to as to where they do the GDL then I would expect the law firms would listen.
    Er sorry but i think you're forgetting how difficult it is to get a TC at the type of firm that specifies a GDL or LPC provider.
    Im personally very very grateful to have mine and grateful that they will pay the £11000 course fees, and so I'm not going to moan about the fact that they force me to go to Moorgate to do the LPC despite the fact that I could save myself some debt by staying at home and doing it in Birmingham.

I'm grateful that a firm who could've had any of 2000 other people offered me a TC. Clearly I just dont have your arrogance.

Also, I disagree with what you said about the money. Whilst you say savings are minimal, consider how much is spent each year by each firm on fees for GDL and LPC students. Consider it from the view of the firm. Any saving is welcomed, especially in an area where the two major providers are consistently ranked as well as each other. You may think a few thousand £ is negligable, but I'll bet the firms don't.

ReputationRep:
    Er sorry but i think you're forgetting how difficult it is to get a TC at the type of firm that specifies a GDL or LPC provider.
    Im personally very very grateful to have mine and grateful that they will pay the £11000 course fees, and so I'm not going to moan about the fact that they force me to go to Moorgate to do the LPC despite the fact that I could save myself some debt by staying at home and doing it in Birmingham.

I'm grateful that a firm who could've had any of 2000 other people offered me a TC. Clearly I just dont have your arrogance.

Also, I disagree with what you said about the money. Whilst you say savings are minimal, consider how much is spent each year by each firm on fees for GDL and LPC students. Consider it from the view of the firm. Any saving is welcomed, especially in an area where the two major providers are consistently ranked as well as each other. You may think a few thousand £ is negligable, but I'll bet the firms don't.
    Hi. I have no problems with the specified LPC, in fact I can definitely see the benefits. It's just the specified GDL which seems completely unnecessary to me. Also, I gave a couple of reasons why it seems doubtful that they'd make any bulk discount saving.

I am perfectly well aware of how difficult it is to get a TC at a City firm: my TC-hunt was probably the one dominating feature of my final year at university, and after loads of applications, interviews, and three vac schemes I finally got one three weeks before starting the GDL. It was my final 'brand in the fire' and I would have had no other way of funding the GDL otherwise, so obviously I was extremely glad and relieved to have been offered it!

I do not, however, feel 'grateful' to the firm in any ordinary sense of the word: they were not doing me a gratuitous favour by offering me a TC - it's simply an essential part of their business to take in trainees. And it is true that firms go to some trouble to woo the best candidates (I would not, incidentally, include myself in that category - as I think my difficulties in securing a TC would indicate). I hope this explanation clears up your 'arrogance' point.

(Original post by peachmelba)
    Does anyone know the score if you end up with a TC that specifies GDL/LPC provider and you haven't applied to that provider? Do firms have x places reserved?
    With the tailored LPCs I'm pretty sure they'll find you a place on their course. It'd have to be in the contracts with the providers that they have to find places for the firm's future trainees even if they miss the deadline. With the specified GDL it'd seem more difficult, as I pointed out in my post above, because the timescale would be a lot shorter and a lot of people would have signed contracts for accommodation elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside on this point, how many full-time GDL providers can you apply to when you're in your final year? Is it 3? Thanks for any info.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.