Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am having a problem with these 2 questions. the answer is provided in bold but i don't understand it. why is the base the ionised one and why can we conclude it is yellow ??

Methyl red is a common acid-base indicator. It has a Ka equal to 6.3 x 10–6. Its unionised form is red and its anionic form is yellow. What color would a methyl red solution have at
    pH = 7.8?

Correct Answer: yellow
    ([Base]/[Acid]) = 10(pH – pKa)
    = 2.6
    > 1
    [Base] > [Acid]
    Ionised > unioinised (anionic)

Question 2. Also I don't understand the answer in bold for this next question, where has the [10/(100 + 10)] come from
    Appreciate your help. I'm slightly confused thanks!

What is the percentage dissociation of glycine if the solution has a pH = 8.60 and a pKa = 9.60?

Correct Answer: 9 %
    [Base]/[Acid] = 10(pH – pKa)
    = 10(8.60 – 9.60)
    = 0.1 = 10/100
    % Dissociation = [10/(100 + 10)] × 100
    = 9 %
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by groovyangel2008)
    I am having a problem with these 2 questions. the answer is provided in bold but i don't understand it. why is the base the ionised one and why can we conclude it is yellow ??

Methyl red is a common acid-base indicator. It has a Ka equal to 6.3 x 10–6. Its unionised form is red and its anionic form is yellow. What color would a methyl red solution have at
    pH = 7.8?

Correct Answer: yellow
    ([Base]/[Acid]) = 10(pH – pKa)
    = 2.6
    > 1
    [Base] > [Acid]
    Ionised > unioinised (anionic)

Question 2. Also I don't understand the answer in bold for this next question, where has the [10/(100 + 10)] come from
    Appreciate your help. I'm slightly confused thanks!

What is the percentage dissociation of glycine if the solution has a pH = 8.60 and a pKa = 9.60?

Correct Answer: 9 %
    [Base]/[Acid] = 10(pH – pKa)
    = 10(8.60 – 9.60)
    = 0.1 = 10/100
    % Dissociation = [10/(100 + 10)] × 100
    = 9 %
    Indicators have pH = pKa at the midpoint because there is equal concentration of both forms.

Because Ka = [H+][A-]/[HA]

therefore if [A-]=[HA] then ka = [H+]

So if Ka equal to 6.3 x 10–6 then pKa = 5.2
    Therefore at pH 7.8 it has gone into the basic colour - i.e. yellow

you take it from here...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.