ReputationRep:
    Bird = birdbrain = derogatory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikimoto)
    Northern Ireland.
    That explains it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prettyinpunk1)
    Same as we don't call men an animal name, I can't imagine you liking it either.
    On the contrary, if a girl referred to me as a 'stallion' instead of my name, I can't say I would be exactly distraught...

ReputationRep:
    I thought only chavs say that.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't like it. Im not a bird, and I don't wish to be called one really.

There are other, nicer terms to refer to girls IMO :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Too many trolls on TSR these days. I hope your face explodes.

ReputationRep:
    Don't mind it myself. I think it's quite sweet.
    But then, I am one of the ones that likes being referred to as "the missus" and other slightly sexist names. I'm just odd.

Now stop trolling.
    :BIG FROWN:

[/thread]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    kklol - the hariest and fattest of all the trolls. Piss off.
    lol

Well It's the kind of thing you say amongst your male mates. ''That bird is fit'' or ''That chick is hot'' it's not something you should say to a woman directly. It shows how immature you are.

ReputationRep:
    I'm personally not arsed, but my boyfriend is pretty long term so if he says bird I'd just laugh. Whenever I'm talking to anyone about him, I call him my bird. I don't mean it in a serious way, it's just what I say. And when I'm talking to other people I'd something like 'How's your bird?' Lols, it's quite funny really I'd never be offended really. But, that's just me I think.

ReputationRep:
    Gash these days, always moanin about something

ReputationRep:
    because we're not birds... we don't fly and eat worms

and it sounds chavvy

would guys like to be called antelopes, or something equivilant that doesn't seem to mean anything rude...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami*)
    because we're not birds... we don't fly and eat worms

and it sounds chavvy

would guys like to be called antelopes, or something equivilant that doesn't seem to mean anything rude...?
    hey bird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farhan)
    That explains it.
    How does that explain it?

ReputationRep:
    hey bird
    :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    How come? As far as i can tell, it carries no intentional sexist connotations and in no way demeans women's abilities. It is just an affection term for women. I've always used it personally but on tsr i've noticed a lot of you don't like it. What is your reasoning?
    Same reason as blokes don't like being called cocks, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikimoto)
    How does that explain it?
    Because you've been living in the countryside most your life so you haven't been exposed to such words, innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tami*)
    :curious:
    :dry:

ReputationRep:
    :dry:
    :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    Because you've been living in the countryside most your life so you haven't been exposed to such words, innit
    No, I have heard the term used. I just don't like it. I don't think I would like it any more if I was more exposed to it.

Innit? What the hell is innit?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.