Turn on thread page Beta

why don't girls these days like being called ''birds''? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    'bird' is hardly a derogatory name for a woman, get over it.
    any pet name is derogatory if you don't the person. it's belittling and disrespectful. and no i won't 'get over it'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    any pet name is derogatory if you don't the person. it's belittling and disrespectful. and no i won't 'get over it'.
    No it's not. Where i'm from bird translates directly into woman, the words are interchangeable. It's not about giving you a pet name or anything, bird is just what women are called. Very rarely will anyone refer to a woman as a bird as a name, it's not like calling someone toots or something. You must have an easy life if this is the sort of thing that keeps you awake at night.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind, but we aren't actually a bird in the liternal sense as we don't have wings. Plus birds can be both female and male so...

Where did it originate for females to be called 'birds' ?

ReputationRep:
    i dont really like it when my guys friends (bf) use it to address a girl. They normally use it on pretty girls. they call the not so attractive ones cows or *****es. It seems like they have no respect for the girls.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not. Where i'm from bird translates directly into woman, the words are interchangeable. It's not about giving you a pet name or anything, bird is just what women are called. Very rarely will anyone refer to a woman as a bird as a name, it's not like calling someone toots or something. You must have an easy life if this is the sort of thing that keeps you awake at night.
    doesn't keep me awake. it's just the kind of thing that's going to result in a guy getting hurt if he dares to call me by anything other than the terms i've just listed.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't keep me awake. it's just the kind of thing that's going to result in a guy getting hurt if he dares to call me by anything other than the terms i've just listed.
    I see you're one of those girls:rolleyes:. In Yorkshire some bar maids have taken their managers to court because customers have called them 'luv', a term used for hundreds of years. It's just pathetic really.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it would matter what you would call them, they will find something to be offended at regardless.

A lot of the time the enormous list of requirements that British or American females stipulate, isnt in reality proportionate with what they actually have to offer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it was similar to how guys don't like being called "pieces of ****".

ReputationRep:
    I see you're one of those girls:rolleyes:. In Yorkshire some bar maids have taken their managers to court because customers have called them 'luv', a term used for hundreds of years. It's just pathetic really.
    no, im not a girl, im a woman. i don't see why i should settle for being called something i don't like when it's no more difficult for people to call you something respectful. I'm sure black men or working class men wouldn't appreciate being called 'boy' by someone upper class (or just white in the former case) because it's derogatory even if it's not out and out offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Because it is objectifying and rude. Seriously, call me by my name. There is no comparable term for 'man'.

ReputationRep:
    The thought process would go further in that some girls would think you are calling them a crow. In that case, no wonder they don't like it. I've never been called one. Funnily enough I get sweetheart or sweetie a lot, something to do with sweets, which is weird because I don't think myself sweet...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe "sweetheart" should also be banned.

If you get called sweetheart then clearly you're one fat tosser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    How come? As far as i can tell, it carries no intentional sexist connotations and in no way demeans women's abilities. It is just an affection term for women. I've always used it personally but on tsr i've noticed a lot of you don't like it. What is your reasoning?
    These days? I don't think girls ever liked being called "birds". Firstly, us girls don't have wings so we're not birds. Secondly, it just sounds a bit cheap really. You wouldn't expect a nice gentleman to refer to females as birds. When I think of a lad saying the word bird in reference to a female, I always picture a really chavvy lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poshtotty)
    These days? I don't think girls ever liked being called "birds". Firstly, us girls don't have wings so we're not birds. Secondly, it just sounds a bit cheap really. You wouldn't expect a nice gentleman to refer to females as birds. When I think of a lad saying the word bird in reference to a female, I always picture a really chavvy lad.
    well i get the term from my dad and he certainly isn't a chav. i think you're in denial girl

ReputationRep:
    Some girls would find it degrading, i'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    well for a start; most birds smell, they have lice, and they crap on the floor of their own home.
    :rofl:
    this

ReputationRep:
    You are fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    kklol - the hariest and fattest of all the trolls.Since Sophie3 Piss off.
    you missed the bit in bold

ReputationRep:
    no, im not a girl, im a woman. i don't see why i should settle for being called something i don't like when it's no more difficult for people to call you something respectful. I'm sure black men or working class men wouldn't appreciate being called 'boy' by someone upper class (or just white in the former case) because it's derogatory even if it's not out and out offensive.
    Definitions of derogatory on the Web:
    derogative: expressive of low opinion; "derogatory comments"; "disparaging remarks about the new house"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

So there you go, it's how it's said rather than what is said. Bird is the same as woman, just like bloke is for man. If these sorts of things bother you even when they aren't said in mallice then you need to get a life, and fast! The way you're behaving I think being called a bird should be the least of your worries.

ReputationRep:
    Definitions of derogatory on the Web:
    derogative: expressive of low opinion; "derogatory comments"; "disparaging remarks about the new house"
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

So there you go, it's how it's said rather than what is said. Bird is the same as woman, just like bloke is for man. If these sorts of things bother you even when they aren't said in mallice then you need to get a life, and fast! The way you're behaving I think being called a bird should be the least of your worries.
    I know what derogatory means and i know how i feel when someone calls me something i dont like. I don't think it's a lot to ask. Not like it matters a whole lot, im unlikely to be friends with or date guys who use terms like 'birds'.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.