The Student Room Group

Better universites to study law

I just wanna know ur perception about top 5-10 universities to study law after Oxbridge. I can't go there for some reasons and I wanna peak the best option as possible, preferably outside London cuz its f*cking expensive
Original post by JessBefer
I just wanna know ur perception about top 5-10 universities to study law after Oxbridge. I can't go there for some reasons and I wanna peak the best option as possible, preferably outside London cuz its f*cking expensive

There’s more than ranking that helps decide which university to go to. You can look at the modules and law courses each potential university offers and look to see if they have a year in industry/work (40 week placement) as this will make you more employable than others. Also look at graduate prospects - this is the percentage of students that went onto work or further study within 15 months, this can help make up your mind.
Original post by JessBefer

Hiya

I didn't apply to Oxbridge either and wanted to be outside London due to financial reasons as well. So I applied to Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Birmingham and Kings (just because my counsellor wanted me to). Ended up receiving an offer from all but Kings and then got stuck between Durham and Bristol because both were excellent but Bristol had a little edge because it had a scholarship on offer. I didn't get that scholarship and ended up firming Durham because not only is it one of the top 7 law schools in the UK, I just really fell in love with the city. Plus I knew plenty of people going to Durham to study law as well so I figured this might be a better place to go to if everything else is almost similar.

I have had a really good experience studying law here- can't say it's perfect but don't reckon it'd be perfect in any other university either. The professors and tutors are really helpful and almost always willing to help you out with any doubts. The law societies run a plethora of events- workshops with organisations like law firms, Avokka, and The Negotiation Club (to name a few), networking dinners, competitions, mentoring schemes, guest talks and lectures etc. You get allotted an academic advisor you can approach if you feel lost or just want advice on something. With the collegiate system, you've got that additional layer of support in terms of welfare, finance and whatnot. It's rather easy to meet new people at college events and join college societies to mingle with people who share similar interests.

This was a quick gist and there are SO MANY more facilities available but feel free to drop more questions and come visit Durham on our open days in September!

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending