The Student Room Group

Things to pack

pack
(edited 1 year ago)
Consider how much if any cooking will be done. Some colleges have limited kitchen space and with 3meals a day available in hall or canteen at subsidised prices only thing son used were cereal, milk, bowl and spoon plus plate for odd takeaway.
Mimi fridge and two lamps also provided at Wadham.
Love that you think going to Oxford requires different stuff to going to any other uni
Note that appliances like minifridges, kettles, and fans may not be allowed or be required to undergo PAT before being signed off to be used by the college. Also fairy lights might be banned (a lot of unis have just banned them altogether I think) so do check that. As above a lot of the kitchen stuff may be unnecessary and you may even not have much opportunity to use it.

Generally I would recommend bringing less rather than more for any uni - it's usually easy to get things cheaply when you first start if you do forget anything, and better than hauling a household's worth of stuff there and finding you don't have space or need for it (and then having to take ti all back at the end of every term!).

For Oxbridge in particular though it seems like a lot of things are often already available in the college rooms :smile: As above see what is actually provided in the room's furnishing too - you may find a lamp or mirror unnecessary as there could already be one there for example! Also at the least you will also have access to a bathroom which presumably will have a mirror.
Original post by girl_in_black
Love that you think going to Oxford requires different stuff to going to any other uni

To be fair it might, but more in the sense of needing to bring less stuff since most colleges have and kind of necessitate having a "catered" experience due to limited "self catering" facilities.

Also subfusc is a requirement for exams at Oxford apparently so it would actually be mandatory for all students to have at least one somewhat formal outfit that meets those requirements to sit their exams (bizarrely). Oxbridge in general also tend to have a lot of opportunities for formals and so may be more likely for students to want/need formal attire for those as well anyway outside of Oxford's subfusc requirement.
Original post by artful_lounger

Also subfusc is a requirement for exams at Oxford apparently so it would actually be mandatory for all students to have at least one somewhat formal outfit that meets those requirements to sit their exams (bizarrely). Oxbridge in general also tend to have a lot of opportunities for formals and so may be more likely for students to want/need formal attire for those as well anyway outside of Oxford's subfusc requirement.

I'm well aware. But that is one minor point on their list.
Original post by aaq1
Things to pack

Documents and Papers
* Passport
* Driving License
* Acceptance letter
* Student Finance documents
* Debit card(s)
* Discount cards
* Gym membership

Bathroom
* Bath towel (1-2)
* Hand towel
* Dressing gown/Nightdress
* Toiletries - Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Shampoo
* Wash-bag
* Flip-flops
* Hairbrush/comb
* Hairdryer
* Nail-cutters
* Plasters
* Razor and blades
* Painkillers/medication
* Laundry-bag

Electronics
* Phone
* Laptop
* Headphones
* EarPods
* Watch
* Kindle
* Chargers
* Speaker
* Laptop stand
* Multi-socket adaptor

Kitchen
* Cutlery - Knives, forks, spoons and teaspoons
* Plate
* Bowl
* Mugs
* Glass
* Knife
* Scissors
* Tupperwares
* Bottle opener
* Chopping board
* Kitchen tongs
* Big spoon/ladle
* Frying pan
* Saucepan with lid
* Colander
* Measuring jug
* Can opener
* Tea towels (2-3)
* Fairy Liquid
* Washing up brush/J-cloths

Bedroom
* Bedding - 2 sets
* Sheets
* Pillow
* Duvet
* Blanket
* Mattress protector
* Rug
* Hangers for clothes
* Reusable shopping bag/laundry bag
* Washing powder
* Mirror
* Lamp
* Fan - portable
* Earplugs
* Clothes airer/horse
* Pictures of family/friends
* Pushpins
* Glasses
* Sunglasses
* Kettle
* Surface cleaning wipes
* Door coat hooks

Clothes
* Face-mask
* Outerwear
* Jeans
* T-shirts
* Shorts
* Underwear
* Vests
* Underpants
* Socks
* Coat
* Pyjamas
* Formal clothes
* Smart shoes
* Trainers
* Slippers/warm socks
* Shopping bag
* Gym/swimming gear

Stationary/Studying
* Pens/pencils/Ruler/Rubber/Pencil sharpener
* Scissors, stapler and staples
* Highlighters
* Writing paper/Notepad
* Folder(s)
* Diary/planner
* Post-it notes
* Calculator
* Textbooks

Other
* Mini-fridge
* Backpack
* Umbrella
* Fairy-lights battery-powered
* Any decorations
* Flute
* KeepCup for hot drinks
* Pack of cards
* Snacks
* Yoga Mat
* Reusable water bottle
* Reed diffuser / Febreze
* Extension lead(s)
* Bike, helmet and D-lock

Far too much stuff - most beds have protectors so check what is provided. There are shops near all unis if you find you need anything. Kitchen stuff is far too much as there isn't much storage in many Oxford college 'kitchens'.

Check what electrical appliances are allowed and they'll need PAT testing.
I'm well aware. But that is one minor point on their list.

But that is a specific example of "different stuff to going to any other uni" that Oxford requires :confused:
Good luck bringing all that in one car
Original post by aaq1
I think people have misunderstood. It is not what one person can take - it is a list of common items that I picked on internet and other sources. People can customise to their needs. I suspect individually the list of items will be much smaller - especially if living within a college. Private renting it could be even longer list.

You are right about the private renting.Son barely fitted in the car that year!:biggrin:Re bedding it is Reminded me re bedding ,check on size of bed as we have had all sorts between both kids.
Original post by aaq1
it is neither stated nor intended - but you are free to draw your inferences

It is literally the title of this thread
It is literally the title of this thread

No it's not and even if it was it is different often even between colleges. Is this thread impacting on your life in some way?

Quick Reply

Latest