Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theorangecab)
    He allegedly killed his father and his father's friend - in some ways it makes it worse. I put allegedly since seriously, an 8 year old's confession? Considering how the police could have easily scared the boy into confessing, I have to say I'm not entirely convinced that he killed his father/friend.

Either way, the kid's going to need help/psychiatric attention after what he's gone through/all that's happened whether he's guilty or not.
    If in his confession he made it clear that it was premeditated though it means there was a reason and he did do it. Also the police are going to make an 8 year old pretty much the last suspect in their minds - he must have done something to make it pretty clear it was him.

I don't think he should get away with this, murder of a parent is one of the sickest things imaginable in my book, and I believe he should never be let out of jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    I don't think he should get away with this, murder of a parent is one of the sickest things imaginable in my book, and I believe he should never be let out of jail.
    That's awful. You think an eight year old should be completely responsible, in an adult sense of the word, for all their actions? This child needs help, not to be shut away in prison for his entire life; he has not committed a crime in the same way an adult has committed a crime. Of course he 'shouldn't get away with it', but being locked up forever doesn't seem like a particularly good solution either.

So if an eight year old steels a pot of jam because he overheard his mum talking the other day about how she had ran out of jam but couldn't really afford to spend money on more jam, and this eight year old sort of misinterrpreted it and was worrying that this meant mum didn't have any money and couldn't afford things and was sad about it, and he didn't really fully understand the adult consequences of stealing (because, he's not an adult), he should get arrested for shoplifting?

ReputationRep:
    If in his confession he made it clear that it was premeditated though it means there was a reason and he did do it. Also the police are going to make an 8 year old pretty much the last suspect in their minds - he must have done something to make it pretty clear it was him.

Yeah, I'm just finding it hard to believe that an 8 year old could commit premeditated murder on his own father. I don't know what to say.

Just a side fact, Arizona has death row.

ReputationRep:
    He should be locked up for life - it doesn't matter if he's a child or not.
    No need to investigate the circumstances then. No need for a trial.

You could save the US tax payers a fortune.

I think there are situations where the boy's actions might have been the best possible choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    That's awful. You think an eight year old should be completely responsible, in an adult sense of the word, for all their actions? This child needs help, not to be shut away in prison for his entire life; he has not committed a crime in the same way an adult has committed a crime. Of course he 'shouldn't get away with it', but being locked up forever doesn't seem like a particularly good solution either.

So if an eight year old steels a pot of jam because he overheard his mum talking the other day about how she had ran out of jam but couldn't really afford to spend money on more jam, and this eight year old sort of misinterrpreted it and was worrying that this meant mum didn't have any money and couldn't afford things and was sad about it, and he didn't really fully understand the adult consequences of stealing (because, he's not an adult), he should get arrested for shoplifting?
    It's not stealing jam for an altruistic reason though, is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnd)
    No need to investigate the circumstances then. No need for a trial.

You could save the US tax payers a fortune.

I think there are situations where the boy's actions might have been the best possible choice.
    Like what exactly? I find it despicable that children can do nothing wrong in today's society. In schools, a child can pull a teachers hair/punch him/her etc and if the teacher were to firmly remove the person they would get done for child abuse. They are not the precious angels we all want to feel sympathetic for. Killing what sounds like a loving father, and his innocent friend signifies someone seriously sick with the ability to kill in cold blood.

ReputationRep:
    Very tragic - an obvious lesson here is NOT to allow guns in the hands of children, or to assume they can be trained to understand the ramifications at that age; though I think that goes for a large portion of the adult population as well. It''s time for America to grow out of it''s romantic fascination with guns - they add nothing to a civilized society.

This is so sad. An 8 year old''s mind is so immature, and generally speaking children that young still believe in fantasy, like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. It has been proven with scientific studies of that areas of the brain dealing with reasoning are not fully developed until age 25. That child is not an adult and should not be charged as one.

Why the 8 year-old would think of hurting his father?? Something does not add up . . the neighbors are saying that the Romero family was wonderful. If the boy had problems, it would have been noticed by his teachers or his community before now.

ReputationRep:
    It's not stealing jam for an altruistic reason though, is it?
    He's stealing jam to please his mother. Whether that's altrusitic or not doesn't really matter. What's your point? The point I was making is that a child doesn't really understand things in the same way as an adult does, so I don't think they should be treated as one. Whereas you seem to think they should. Do you think he should get arrested for shoplifting?

ReputationRep:
    He's stealing jam to please his mother. Whether that's altrusitic or not doesn't really matter. What's your point? The point I was making is that a child doesn't really understand things in the same way as an adult does, so I don't think they should be treated as one. Whereas you seem to think they should. Do you think he should get arrested for shoplifting?
    An adult would not be charged for stealing a pot of jam. I know loads of people who have stolen carious things from supermarkets and none of them have been charged, just banned from the shop in question. So this could make sense. If however the boy planned a jewel heist then yes he should be treated like an adult would be, but he couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Like what exactly? ... Killing what sounds like a loving father, and his innocent friend signifies someone seriously sick with the ability to kill in cold blood.
    Well, if he was a loving father that's one thing but the video said the possibility of child abuse was being investigated.

How is a small boy supposed to deal with two adult child abusers.

I'm not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.

ReputationRep:
    I am wondering if there is any tape of the confession, surely at 8 if he did kill them and was asked of the reason, he would tell dont you think? and i think handcuffs were extreme for an 8 year old.

ReputationRep:

here here

ReputationRep:
    An adult would not be charged for stealing a pot of jam. I know loads of people who have stolen carious things from supermarkets and none of them have been charged, just banned from the shop in question. So this could make sense. If however the boy planned a jewel heist then yes he should be treated like an adult would be, but he couldn't do it.
    Okay, so a jewel heist then. As a child, you might have some fantasy where you watch a jewel heist on TV, and think it would be really cool to do one. You might act it out with your friends in the playground. That's healthy, normal childhood fantasising and play. Clearly, if a child brings this into reality and actually plans a jewel heist then this child has mental health issues. Just comprehending the idea that a child is capable of carrying out a jewel heist (or a double murder) is extremely difficult as it goes against all our experiences and knowledge of what a child can actually do. So that suggests there is something clearly 'wrong' with this child in his way of thinking. You said yourself in another post that this child is 'seriously sick' - yes, he is seriously sick, in a mental way. He didn't meticulously plan it in the same sense as a non-seriously sick adult might meticulously plan a jewel heist. With your posts, I'm imagining you seriously imagining these gangstar children in suits in a basement office, Eastenders-stylee, going: "yeah blud, meet at 9pm, you have the getaway car ready etc." and you thinking these children are of the same 'evilness' and worthiness of punishment as adults doing the same thing - do you think at the trial of this eight year old they should even been spoken to like an adult? Should he be considered mad if he ***** himself and asks for mummy? Because an adult might be but a child wouldn't.

I'm off out now so I'm not ignoring whatever response you might give, so you know

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so a jewel heist then. As a child, you might have some fantasy where you watch a jewel heist on TV, and think it would be really cool to do one. You might act it out with your friends in the playground. That's healthy, normal childhood fantasising and play. Clearly, if a child brings this into reality and actually plans a jewel heist then this child has mental health issues. Just comprehending the idea that a child is capable of carrying out a jewel heist (or a double murder) is extremely difficult as it goes against all our experiences and knowledge of what a child can actually do. So that suggests there is something clearly 'wrong' with this child in his way of thinking. You said yourself in another post that this child is 'seriously sick' - yes, he is seriously sick, in a mental way. He didn't meticulously plan it in the same sense as a non-seriously sick adult might meticulously plan a jewel heist. With your posts, I'm imagining you seriously imagining these gangstar children in suits in a basement office, Eastenders-stylee, going: "yeah blud, meet at 9pm, you have the getaway car ready etc." and you thinking these children are of the same 'evilness' and worthiness of punishment as adults doing the same thing - do you think at the trial of this eight year old they shouldn't even been spoken to like an adult? Should he be considered mad if he ***** himself and asks for mummy? Because an adult might be but a child wouldn't.

I'm off out now so I'm ignoring whatever response you might give, so you know
    lol bro I said children wouldn't be able to do a jewel heist. They can be sick ******* are kill adults though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmmmm this is interesting.

I believe, he should be treated in a psychaitric unit as his punishment, and then...they should discuss with him and the parents once he is better and in a better mental state what his punishment should be. What hes done is wrong...and should not be overlooked because hes innocent, at 8 most children know right from wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnd)
    Well, if he was a loving father that's one thing but the video said the possibility of child abuse was being investigated.

How is a small boy supposed to deal with two adult child abusers.

I'm not saying that's what happened but it's a possibility.
    Ahh, "child abuse" - that old chestnut. So a psychopathic child kills two most probably innocent adults and people immediately shout child abuse.
    Thus is the nature of the concept of a "child".

ReputationRep:
    Like what exactly? I find it despicable that children can do nothing wrong in today's society. In schools, a child can pull a teachers hair/punch him/her etc and if the teacher were to firmly remove the person they would get done for child abuse. They are not the precious angels we all want to feel sympathetic for. Killing what sounds like a loving father, and his innocent friend signifies someone seriously sick with the ability to kill in cold blood.
    You're definitely missing something here.

Firstly, your point about teachers/child abuse is wrong. Within the law (at least, in the UK), if a teacher is attacked by a student then they can use reasonable force to remove them.
    Secondly, no-one is calling this poor boy a "precious angel". We're not denying that what he did (if he did it) is dreadful. We're simply holding back on passing an opinion until we know the full facts.
    The fact that his father "sounds" like he was loving DOES NOT mean that he was. Surely that's how child-abusers work? By pretending to be lovely so that no-one suspects them of such a terrible crime.

theorangecab - I agree, he surely will need so much psychiatric care now. It's just very distressing.
    Also, in Arizona an eight-year old can be tried as an adult?! That's dreadful! At eight, children don't even has a full vocabulary, let alone anywhere near a full understanding of the ramifications of their actions! Surely that can't be right?

ReputationRep:
    lol bro I said children wouldn't be able to do a jewel heist. They can be sick ******* are kill adults though.
    Well you said children couldn't do a jewel heist, but most people would say that a child couldn't murder their parents. I'm likening the idea of a child carrying out a jewel heist to be like a child carrying out a planned double murder. The idea that a child has an adult motive behind carrying out this double-murder and therefore being treated like an adult is as ridiculous as thinking that these suited gansta children messing about have real adult-motives behind carrying out a jewel heist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice)
    You're definitely missing something here.

Firstly, your point about teachers/child abuse is wrong. Within the law (at least, in the UK), if a teacher is attacked by a student then they can use reasonable force to remove them.
    Secondly, no-one is calling this poor boy a "precious angel". We're not denying that what he did (if he did it) is dreadful. We're simply holding back on passing an opinion until we know the full facts.
    The fact that his father "sounds" like he was loving DOES NOT mean that he was. Surely that's how child-abusers work? By pretending to be lovely so that no-one suspects them of such a terrible crime.

theorangecab - I agree, he surely will need so much psychiatric care now. It's just very distressing.
    Also, in Arizona an eight-year old can be tried as an adult?! That's dreadful! At eight, children don't even has a full vocabulary, let alone anywhere near a full understanding of the ramifications of their actions! Surely that can't be right?
    I somehow think murdering someone is far worse than child abuse.

The point of prison is to protect society not to punish. Ergo he should kept in a mental hopsital until they determine he is not a danger to society (if that ever occurs.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.