Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi there everyone. i am wanting to do an english degree after i leave sixth form at the end of next year. the thing that i'm worrying about though is that my A-levels will be in english lit (obviously), french, maths and chemistry. whenever i tell anyone what i want to do they say ' why are you doing chemistry and maths then?'. are universities going to prefer someone with A-levels in say english lit, languages and history???

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachio)
    hi there everyone. i am wanting to do an english degree after i leave sixth form at the end of next year. the thing that i'm worrying about though is that my A-levels will be in english lit (obviously), french, maths and chemistry. whenever i tell anyone what i want to do they say ' why are you doing chemistry and maths then?'. are universities going to prefer someone with A-levels in say english lit, languages and history???

thanks
    The top universities probably will. As I've said before, I know people who've been offered AAA (*exlcuding Maths*) to read History.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The top universities probably will. As I've said before, I know people who've been offered AAA (*exlcuding Maths*) to read History.
    i don't understand what you're saying. what do you mean? excuse my ignorance, please

ReputationRep:
    i don't understand what you're saying. what do you mean? excuse my ignorance, please
    I think he's trying to say unis will prefer subjects allied to English, though I'm not sure if this is true...

(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I think he's trying to say unis will prefer subjects allied to English, though I'm not sure if this is true...
    aww!! i'm screwed then!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    aww!! i'm screwed then!!
    oops that was me but somehow i unregistered myself!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    aww!! i'm screwed then!!
    Don't believe what some bod on a message board posts. Contact the universities you are interested in and ask them - it might take a day of phone calls but in the end you will have a clear idea of who would be willing to accept your a levels and which choices would be a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Don't believe what some bod on a message board posts. Contact the universities you are interested in and ask them - it might take a day of phone calls but in the end you will have a clear idea of who would be willing to accept your a levels and which choices would be a waste of time.
    thanks, i'm going to do that. cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Tek knows someone who applied with four A-levels, three allied to English and Maths. They gave that person an offer for the three allied to English and ignore Maths. This does not mean, however, that they would not have given him an offer if he had done three A-levels and one was Maths. So I'm sure universities will be happy to accept your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    On the Oxford site for English (combined, but you can work it out) it says you need Eng Lit or Lang (or combined) for 'essential', nothing in the 'recommended' section and history or a language in the 'helpful' bit. So by studying French and English Lit, you actually advanatge yourself. If you are in Y12 and drop one, drop Chemistry or Maths (I would say Chem) nd then you'll have English Lit (essential) French (a language, helps with English and always looks good) and Maths (a well-recognised and respected subject for any degree).

ReputationRep:
    On the Oxford site for English (combined, but you can work it out) it says you need Eng Lit or Lang (or combined) for 'essential', nothing in the 'recommended' section and history or a language in the 'helpful' bit. So by studying French and English Lit, you actually advanatge yourself. If you are in Y12 and drop one, drop Chemistry or Maths (I would say Chem) nd then you'll have English Lit (essential) French (a language, helps with English and always looks good) and Maths (a well-recognised and respected subject for any degree).
    This is perfectly true. However, I would personally feel more comfortable and would recommend studying 'allied' subjects.

ReputationRep:
    i am in year 12 so that's probably what i'm going to do. if i drop chem then i could take another subject to AS which will probably be history. is that a good idea or is it just a waste of time and effort??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    This is perfectly true. However, I would personally feel more comfortable and would recommend studying 'allied' subjects.
    this probably sounds really stupid but what subjects are regarded as 'allied' to english??

ReputationRep:
    i am in year 12 so that's probably what i'm going to do. if i drop chem then i could take another subject to AS which will probably be history. is that a good idea or is it just a waste of time and effort??
    To be honest, I doubt they'll care about another AS. Cambridge say

"Whilst the most popular subjects studied by our undergraduates have usually included modern languages, history and Classics, we welcome applicants with a broad range of academic backgrounds. However, we do expect a GCE A level in English Literature or English Literature & English Language."

So if you have English Lit and French, which are or are allied to English and then Maths, I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage

ReputationRep:
    this probably sounds really stupid but what subjects are regarded as 'allied' to english??
    History, Languages, Classics, etc.

ReputationRep:
    History, Languages, Classics, etc.

was that your 2000th post just then??
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Essay based subjects - subjects with essay style answers in the exams. History being the most popular/common.

Personally I'd say chem would be more use in applying for english as the coursework element will involve more writing than maths coursework (which is more about the methodology)...but then with english and french and a possible history AS (only do it if you're interested in it) you should choose whichever subject (out of chem or maths) that you feel most capable of getting a good grade in and the one which interests you most (usually the same thing).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Essay based subjects - subjects with essay style answers in the exams. History being the most popular/common.

Personally I'd say chem would be more use in applying for english as the coursework element will involve more writing than maths coursework (which is more about the methodology)...but then with english and french and a possible history AS (only do it if you're interested in it) you should choose whichever subject (out of chem or maths) that you feel most capable of getting a good grade in and the one which interests you most (usually the same thing).
    i absolutely hated gcse history so i guess there's no point taking it if its not going to give me a massive advantage!

ReputationRep:
    was that your 2000th post just then??
    Yes, I gave you my 2000th post

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I gave you my 2000th post
    i am honoured!! many thanks mighty lord huntroyde. : )

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.