Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered whether anyone knows if the people interviewing have both personal statement and reference infront of them as they grill you? thanks

ReputationRep:
    They have the opportunity to do so, and many will.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that.hope they do in some ways ,as in retrospect think my reference was stronger than my personal statement??!

ReputationRep:
    er yes they have everything you sent them in front them: at least that was the case for international interviews

ReputationRep:
    yes,i saw that in my interview and also in the cambridge interview podcast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_sandman)
    Just wondered whether anyone knows if the people interviewing have both personal statement and reference infront of them as they grill you? thanks
    That is what is normal. They will have your whole UCAS form in the interview; if nothing else, it will remind them what your name is.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and if you have sent in any written work it's likely that they'll have that there too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had part of my PS quoted back at me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I had part of my reference quoted back to me. Problem is, it was wrong. My form tutor had messed it up :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Properly attributed and referenced, I hope. We must smash the evil zits of the international plagiarism conspiracy with the iron whip of firm resolve!

DtS
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Derek_the_Sheep)
    Properly attributed and referenced, I hope. We must smash the evil zits of the international plagiarism conspiracy with the iron whip of firm resolve!
    Sounds painful... and not terribly effective.

ReputationRep:
    I told my referee I'd ordered some books, which I still haven't read yet, but, having just seen my reference the other day she'd put something like 'xxxxx has emersed himself in these books blah blah blah'. I didn't even want them included. How am I going to explain to the interviewer (irrelevent actually as I'm expecting the dreaded rejection letter any day now) that the reference was wrong? The books only just arrived a week ago. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I told my referee I'd ordered some books, which I still haven't read yet, but, having just seen my reference the other day she'd put something like 'xxxxx has emersed himself in these books blah blah blah'. I didn't even want them included. How am I going to explain to the interviewer (irrelevent actually as I'm expecting the dreaded rejection letter any day now) that the reference was wrong? The books only just arrived a week ago. :mad:

We are all very sympathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just try hard to finish reading them or as much as you can from now until your interview day/rejection letter. I have the opposite problem - I've read the books in my PS more than once and yet I have a lot of trouble remembering anything in them. But luckily, I've applied for maths, not history :p:.

ReputationRep:
    A condescending "moderator". What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    For crying out loud. READ them.
    How are you supposed to get through your weekly Oxford workload if a month doesn't seem enough? Don't say anything about school, please, some of us have full time jobs and other classes.

If anything, what your referee did can only help you. Provided you do your bit and read. Historians do that all the time you know.

P.S. I am assuming you're not talking 20 books here. Would she have room to mention them in her reference? If you're talking 5 or less, I can't think what you're complaining about.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: ...and do stop whingeing. Really.

DtS

ReputationRep:
    A condescending "moderator". What a joke.
    I assure I was not being condescending.

ReputationRep:
    You have a list of about 50 books on your account page, I just looked?

ReputationRep:
    I ordered my reference and my teacher claimed that I had read books on random, pretty darn obscure historical topics which I have never heard about...don't know what I'm going to do about that. If I hadn't ordered my reference I'd be screwed anyway. Also it's kind of annoying as he didn't mention books on areas that I HAVE read on

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.