The Student Room Group

Dentistry v medicine

If I was to apply for both medicine and dentistry in 2023 can someone tell me the timeline by which I would become a proffesional in each career pathway i.e. becoming a junior dr takes 6 years then as an f1 you earn around 20k. So can someone decribe the pay and timeline of both careers as well as why you would pick medicine or dentistry. Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

No this is just backround info for me to find out the timescales and pay in more detail I am intending to do work experience soon in both proffesions as I am still undecided in which I want to go for I thought originally medicine was the one for me but dentistry looks good aswel hence why I intend to actually do work experience in both settings.
Btw thanks to you and @GANFYD for all you r support with the ucat and medical school route
Oh lol I guessed the figure. Also can I ask if I were to go through medical school and become a GP could I make my own practise as I have wanted to establish my own chain of gp practises in both the UK abroad would that be possible?
also for you personally why did u choose medicine?
You could always do both and become an OMFS :tongue:

Takes about 20 years to become a consultant that way though, give or take...
Bit of a cop out really! Do two degrees, two sets of foundation training, plus then core training, and you might not even get into the higher specialty training anyway :eek:

Might be a worse picture than neurosurgery really :redface:
As above, decide once you complete work experience in both and take time to reflect on them. UCAS won’t stop you from applying to both medicine and dentistry but be prepared to be rejected from dentistry with a medicine personal statement and vice versa.
Once you do work experience in both you’ll be able to decide which career to go for, they’re not interchangeable.
Reply 9
Original post by Rohan007best
Oh lol I guessed the figure. Also can I ask if I were to go through medical school and become a GP could I make my own practise as I have wanted to establish my own chain of gp practises in both the UK abroad would that be possible?

You are highly unlikely to be able to establish a new chain of GP Practices under the current NHS system, as most contracts are already awarded, and they are unlikely to suddenly create a whole set of new ones, but who knows where primary care might be heading in the future. As pointed out, you can certainly become a Partner in a chain of Practices, so have your say in how they are run etc
i am a student whos struggling which path to take however i will tell you some of what i plan to do so that perhaps someone here could help.

in the future i 100% want to convert my skill in whatever field into a active business, whether its opening clinics, practises etc. these also dont have to be in the uk btw before you say the nhs can ruin this.
and i will be completely honest i want to make the most money possible. i ofc love the medical field and caring and helping others i think its a really positive environment but also i understand how the world works and how much money is around and what i can make out of that. i hope dont sound selfish by saying this but making the most money is a big factor.
again i know medicine isnt a get rich quick scheme with all the debts etc and the horrible starting wages but i understand how i can still expand from them as i get more experience.
so by saying this should i do medicine or denistry? or essentially which one am i more likely to make a business out of?
Original post by zynnjah123
i am a student whos struggling which path to take however i will tell you some of what i plan to do so that perhaps someone here could help.

in the future i 100% want to convert my skill in whatever field into a active business, whether its opening clinics, practises etc. these also dont have to be in the uk btw before you say the nhs can ruin this.
and i will be completely honest i want to make the most money possible. i ofc love the medical field and caring and helping others i think its a really positive environment but also i understand how the world works and how much money is around and what i can make out of that. i hope dont sound selfish by saying this but making the most money is a big factor.
again i know medicine isnt a get rich quick scheme with all the debts etc and the horrible starting wages but i understand how i can still expand from them as i get more experience.
so by saying this should i do medicine or denistry? or essentially which one am i more likely to make a business out of?

Do you want to be a doctor or a dentist? As do the one that leads to the career choice you would be happiest in - you have many years work ahead of you
Original post by GANFYD
Do you want to be a doctor or a dentist? As do the one that leads to the career choice you would be happiest in - you have many years work ahead of you

i feel i will be the happy in both im just wondering which one has more opportunity for business
i feel i will be the happy in both im just wondering which one has more opportunity for business

You can run a business in either career, but they are entirely different. Have you done some work experience? Why do you think you would be happy with both?
Hi I've called and emailed so many colleges for resits but they are saying they can't take me as they only get funding for anyone 16-19 and I turn 19 in october what should I do?

If your number 1 priority is money, there are easier ways of making money than medicine or dentistry.

You don’t need to do either to start and expand a business. If business and money are your biggest career goals, you’re looking at the wrong professions.
how do u pay ur local colleges to sit exams?
i am willing to pay but i have 0 clue how to pay the colleges and also they are speaking about tuition fees when I just need to sit the exams and don't really need the tuition
Oh ok lol I thought the school would have contacted me about exam fees if they accepted me I assume they thought they would be paying for everything based on what they told me.

Quick Reply

Latest