The Student Room Group

MA Essay Writing

Hello
I am studying for an MA in Creative Writing. I did a Maths undergrad degree back in the 80s.
I have been advised to look at more Masters level essays to improve my own writing but am struggling to find any. My Prof doesn't have any.
I have asked fellow students but obviously some are reluctant to share.
Does anyone know of anywhere I could look at some?
I have issues with the creative critical aspect of writing about poetry and poetics.
Thanks in advance
sleslieuk
Original post by SLESLIEUK2019
Hello
I am studying for an MA in Creative Writing. I did a Maths undergrad degree back in the 80s.
I have been advised to look at more Masters level essays to improve my own writing but am struggling to find any. My Prof doesn't have any.
I have asked fellow students but obviously some are reluctant to share.
Does anyone know of anywhere I could look at some?
I have issues with the creative critical aspect of writing about poetry and poetics.
Thanks in advance
sleslieuk

Hi @SLESLIEUK2019,

It's worth asking your university library and/or research repository if they hold any relevant MA theses from past students - very occasionally students might lodge a copy with the library, especially if it won a prize or led to the development of a published work.

If your university has a journal that publishes student work, check in past-issues of that also. At Keele, for example, our Humanities and Social Sciences department has an in-house journal and many students develop or adapt their essays for publication within that. Our Creative Writing MA students also publish a collection of their creative work each year.

It's also worth taking a look at the British Library's EThOS service: https://ethos.bl.uk/. It's a repository for PhD theses (as opposed to Masters level work) but looking over Creative Writing PhD work should give you an idea of the level and style of writing that you're aiming towards. In my experience, the jump between MA and PhD (in terms of the style and level of literary engagement required) is smaller than the jump between undergraduate and postgraduate study. Not all Creative Writing PhDs will be on there as some students do embargo their thesis (for the reasons listed above), whilst some universities (such as Oxford) have their own repositories.

As a final note, if you're seeking support for any aspect of your academic writing, it's always worth speaking with the Academic Skills team at your university. A lot of students get the impression that these services are only there to support undergraduates but they really are designed to support everyone, no matter their level of study. They can usually offer assistance with any of the technical aspects of your work, such as style, organisation/structure, and proofreading.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
This article is a good introduction to the kind of critical reflection style writing that is common on creative writing MAs.
https://www.ucd.ie/teaching/t4media/writing_your_critical_reflection.pdf
Original post by Keele Postgraduate
Hi @SLESLIEUK2019,

It's worth asking your university library and/or research repository if they hold any relevant MA theses from past students - very occasionally students might lodge a copy with the library, especially if it won a prize or led to the development of a published work.

If your university has a journal that publishes student work, check in past-issues of that also. At Keele, for example, our Humanities and Social Sciences department has an in-house journal and many students develop or adapt their essays for publication within that. Our Creative Writing MA students also publish a collection of their creative work each year.

It's also worth taking a look at the British Library's EThOS service: https://ethos.bl.uk/. It's a repository for PhD theses (as opposed to Masters level work) but looking over Creative Writing PhD work should give you an idea of the level and style of writing that you're aiming towards. In my experience, the jump between MA and PhD (in terms of the style and level of literary engagement required) is smaller than the jump between undergraduate and postgraduate study. Not all Creative Writing PhDs will be on there as some students do embargo their thesis (for the reasons listed above), whilst some universities (such as Oxford) have their own repositories.

As a final note, if you're seeking support for any aspect of your academic writing, it's always worth speaking with the Academic Skills team at your university. A lot of students get the impression that these services are only there to support undergraduates but they really are designed to support everyone, no matter their level of study. They can usually offer assistance with any of the technical aspects of your work, such as style, organisation/structure, and proofreading.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:

Hi Amy
I really appreciate your response. Really helpful.
Best wishes
Sarah
Original post by cheadle
This article is a good introduction to the kind of critical reflection style writing that is common on creative writing MAs.
https://www.ucd.ie/teaching/t4media/writing_your_critical_reflection.pdf

Brilliant - thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending