The Student Room Group

Oxford Math GCSEs

Hello, I know this is a frequent on this forum, but it has become my deciding factor between Oxford and Cambridge for Maths.

My GCSEs: 9 in Maths, 8 in Further Maths, 9 in Food Science, 8 Geog, 7 CS, 7 all sciences, 6 lant 5 lit.

I will be applying with my a-level results if that makes a difference.

Will my GCSEs hinder my application significantly?
I applied to Oxford biology (which didn't have any entrance exams) with five 9s, three 8s, and two 7s and was rejected without an interview. Some people with worse GCSEs than this were given an interview. My predicted A-Level grades were 3 A*s and an A.

The point is none of us know. They don't just take into account your GCSEs but a range of different factors.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by crashcody
Hello, I know this is a frequent on this forum, but it has become my deciding factor between Oxford and Cambridge for Maths.

My GCSEs: 9 in Maths, 8 in Further Maths, 9 in Food Science, 8 Geog, 7 CS, 7 all sciences, 6 lant 5 lit.

I will be applying with my a-level results if that makes a difference.

Will my GCSEs hinder my application significantly?

I don’t believe your GCSE’s will hinder your application significantly.

Yes, Oxford and Cambridge look at GCSE results, but it seems you got the best grades in the right subjects, so I expect they would look favourably on that.

Another deciding factor is entrance exams. Oxford has MAT, which assesses only the year 12 content of A level maths and Cambridge has STEP, which is a whole lot more. Afaik, most people who get an offer for Oxford get around 70% on the MAT, but idk about STEP.

Also look at what each course offers. You should be able to find this out using the respective websites.

GCSE results, quite frankly, are not a good way of deciding which of these unis to go for.
Apparently last year oxford didn't look at any GCSE grades. Not sure if it's true but if it is I'm guessing it's cuz of the teacher predicted grades. I know Cambridge do look at it but they pay way more attention to your entrance exams, interview and of course alevels predicted grades.
Reply 4
The MAT will be much more important for Oxford than GCSEs. Cambridge interview a fairly high proportion of applicants so good performance there will be most important.
Reply 5
Original post by TypicalNerd
I don’t believe your GCSE’s will hinder your application significantly.

Yes, Oxford and Cambridge look at GCSE results, but it seems you got the best grades in the right subjects, so I expect they would look favourably on that.

Another deciding factor is entrance exams. Oxford has MAT, which assesses only the year 12 content of A level maths and Cambridge has STEP, which is a whole lot more. Afaik, most people who get an offer for Oxford get around 70% on the MAT, but idk about STEP.

Also look at what each course offers. You should be able to find this out using the respective websites.

GCSE results, quite frankly, are not a good way of deciding which of these unis to go for.

Yes, don’t worry haha I have looked at the entrance exams. I am leaning more towards the STEP, as although it’s harder I feel like I would be able to perform better due to the style of content.

My only fear is that because Cambridge is considered ‘the best’ is that my colleagues would be literal Math demi-gods. I am not especially gifted in Maths, I just love it lol

Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
The MAT will be much more important for Oxford than GCSEs. Cambridge interview a fairly high proportion of applicants so good performance there will be most important.

Original post by Jannet2ester
Apparently last year oxford didn't look at any GCSE grades. Not sure if it's true but if it is I'm guessing it's cuz of the teacher predicted grades. I know Cambridge do look at it but they pay way more attention to your entrance exams, interview and of course alevels predicted grades.

General admisssions info about both Oxford and Cambridge here -https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Oxford_or_Cambridge_(aka_Oxbridge)
Original post by crashcody
Yes, don’t worry haha I have looked at the entrance exams. I am leaning more towards the STEP, as although it’s harder I feel like I would be able to perform better due to the style of content.

My only fear is that because Cambridge is considered ‘the best’ is that my colleagues would be literal Math demi-gods. I am not especially gifted in Maths, I just love it lol

Remember 50% of Maths offer holders miss the STEP requirement.

Quick Reply