Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in postgraduate studies in creative writing.
    Any suggestions on universities or colleges that focus on
    that subject are more than welcome.

ReputationRep:
    UEA is meant to have an amazing post-grad creative writing course...

ReputationRep:
    As above, the UEA creative writing course is one of the best. The Alba might know a little bit more about this though. I think the best thing to do is have a look at a few courses and look at the writers that teach on it as they are the ones that are going to be making up your course - for example I wouldn't go to Manchester because Martin Amis teaches on it and I wouldn't really want to pay money to be taught by him. So yeah, have a sniff around at who teaches on the course and see if you like their stuff first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rottcodd)
    As above, the UEA creative writing course is one of the best. The Alba might know a little bit more about this though. I think the best thing to do is have a look at a few courses and look at the writers that teach on it as they are the ones that are going to be making up your course - for example I wouldn't go to Manchester because Martin Amis teaches on it and I wouldn't really want to pay money to be taught by him. So yeah, have a sniff around at who teaches on the course and see if you like their stuff first.
    But he's hardly ever there, and they have some brilliant people, like M.J. Hyland, Conor O'Callaghan, Vona Groarke, James McAuliffe... It's a brilliant department, don't let Amis-hatred blind you - that's letting him win!

OP, there are loads of creative writing MAs out there - you'll have to do a bit of research. UEA is the best (or at least it's the hardest to get into, and has the largest number of successful alumni), but there are lots of other good ones - like Manchester and Goldsmiths. My partner teaches at the Hull one, which is good for poetry (it has Christopher Reid and Carol Rumens, among others).

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I didn't know about the others teaching there - I just picture Martin Amis lording it over eager students in a big armchair, research students fanning his rosy cheeks.

As I said, alba knows more about creating writing MAs!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.