The Student Room Group

English language 2022 "rescue mission" English Language

Hello, I have been stressing out about this lately . So for question 5 in paper 1 language , for the rescue mission prompt , I talked about a poor , cold beggar who dies and goes to heaven . In heaven, he looks younger , is warmer and escaped the avarice of humanity? So could you argue that God saved him , therefore it is a rescue mission? (I also linked in salvation)

I feel like I didnt follow the prompt at all . How many Marks would I lose ?
Original post by DavidAma123
Hello, I have been stressing out about this lately . So for question 5 in paper 1 language , for the rescue mission prompt , I talked about a poor , cold beggar who dies and goes to heaven . In heaven, he looks younger , is warmer and escaped the avarice of humanity? So could you argue that God saved him , therefore it is a rescue mission? (I also linked in salvation)

I feel like I didnt follow the prompt at all . How many Marks would I lose ?

It depends, did you mention much about his previous life? The examiner is trying to see how good you are at creative writing and how well you can structure your response, the prompt is key in regards to what you talk about but it doesn't exactly say that you need to write about the dangerous situation he was in - remember it's a life saving situation - so you could talk about the rescue in a lot of detail and I'm sure the examiner would be fine. If you didn't mention much about the danger he was in you probably would lose a couple of marks but remember it's a 40 marker so you're bound to have got most of the marks, also you've got the rest of the paper plus language paper 2, so don't stress!
Original post by sjwhiten06
It depends, did you mention much about his previous life? The examiner is trying to see how good you are at creative writing and how well you can structure your response, the prompt is key in regards to what you talk about but it doesn't exactly say that you need to write about the dangerous situation he was in - remember it's a life saving situation - so you could talk about the rescue in a lot of detail and I'm sure the examiner would be fine. If you didn't mention much about the danger he was in you probably would lose a couple of marks but remember it's a 40 marker so you're bound to have got most of the marks, also you've got the rest of the paper plus language paper 2, so don't stress!

So for the story , I talked about how he is a young, cold beggar . I also analysed the weather . Then I tried to exaggerate his situation by talking about how his face had wrinkles due to his situation , in order to bring across compassion from the reader. I then described how after he died , he saw a white kind of tunnel ending with a portal , in which he saw his reflection and was shook since all his wrinkles were gone and he looked much younger. Then , I talked about what was beyond the portal (heaven). I talked about birds and thr bright sunshine in order to juxtapose the previous bleak scenery on earth. Then to wrap it all up , he speaks to God , which tells him hoe he endured avarice of humanity for a long time and how he also suffered a lot , and do to this he will be rewarded. I then ended with the poor man saying Thank you. (I also remember writing in the word 'salvatio')
Original post by DavidAma123
So for the story , I talked about how he is a young, cold beggar . I also analysed the weather . Then I tried to exaggerate his situation by talking about how his face had wrinkles due to his situation , in order to bring across compassion from the reader. I then described how after he died , he saw a white kind of tunnel ending with a portal , in which he saw his reflection and was shook since all his wrinkles were gone and he looked much younger. Then , I talked about what was beyond the portal (heaven). I talked about birds and thr bright sunshine in order to juxtapose the previous bleak scenery on earth. Then to wrap it all up , he speaks to God , which tells him hoe he endured avarice of humanity for a long time and how he also suffered a lot , and do to this he will be rewarded. I then ended with the poor man saying Thank you. (I also remember writing in the word 'salvatio')

That should be fine, you've mentioned how he was suffering but I'm not sure if it would be classed as 'life saving' as that was what the prompt said - however as I said earlier, they're analysing your ability to write creatively, so if you've written in an engaging style and included a lot of good vocabulary, you should be fine. I know a lot of people wrote about a priest and I'm not sure if they followed the prompt either but you're probably going to be alright.
Original post by sjwhiten06
That should be fine, you've mentioned how he was suffering but I'm not sure if it would be classed as 'life saving' as that was what the prompt said - however as I said earlier, they're analysing your ability to write creatively, so if you've written in an engaging style and included a lot of good vocabulary, you should be fine. I know a lot of people wrote about a priest and I'm not sure if they followed the prompt either but you're probably going to be alright.

How many marks do you think I can lose as a maximum for not following the prompt , but the story is filled with techniques and a variety of punctuation?

Quick Reply

Latest