Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im doing A2 English lit at the moment, and I will be studying Lyrical Ballads by William Wordsworth,it is penguin- poetry first editions to be precise. now Im starting to do the prepration of this collection,get to know basic gist of this
    Can anyone tell me what is this about?Or what are the poems in this collection,name them if you can please.I havent got the book yet,I want to have a look through online.And something like few themes,styles etc,and how many are there?If some of you guys have done this before or at the moment know anything about this.

Thanks ever so much in advance

ReputationRep:
    The poems comprise a variety of themes actually, with pantheism (panamoralism perhaps?) being the most cited.

You find stuff like motherhood, the plight of the rural poor, the innocence of childhood, the natural, the super natural etc etc all being commented upon throughout the collection.

ReputationRep:
    So basically do your work for you?
    I have plenty of my own thanks
    I'm sure you could find out more about it if you researched online yourself. The internet is a wonderful thing.

ReputationRep:
    No I dont want people to do work for me
    I just want to know what are the poems in this collection or you could possibly give me a link?
    So I can start to have a look

ReputationRep:
    Google is your friend.
    Failing that, buy the book.

ReputationRep:
    What about Coleridge ?

Poor guy leaving him out, The Ancient Mariner is quite epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    What about Coleridge ?

Poor guy leaving him out, The Ancient Mariner is quite epic.
    If I could, I'd leave The Ancient Mariner out too. Epic is the right word. If by epic, you mean looooooong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna May)
    If I could, I'd leave The Ancient Mariner out too. Epic is the right word. If by epic, you mean looooooong.
    WW actually wanted to do that in later editions, he felt it didn't fit with the collection - which in some ways it doesn't and it is very very long and dull/epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    WW actually wanted to do that in later editions, he felt it didn't fit with the collection - which in some ways it doesn't and it is very very long and dull/epic.
    It does feel very out of place, I'd agree. Here's a collection of poems set in the lovely countryside, and here's one about a cursed psailor who makes a poor chap miss his son's wedding just so he can give grave warnings.

Although, in terms of having a pattern and a rhyme scheme, it's probably the poem that sounds most like the ones Wordsworth wrote.

I got a U in the exam though, so to be honest, I would leave all the poems out and forget the book altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Could you guys just tell me the names please?poems' names

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Could you guys just tell me the names please?poems' names
    Are you serious ? It is literally 10 seconds of google searching. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrical_Ballads you will be studying the 1800 edition vol 1 so the list of poems is under that sub-heading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Are you serious ? It is literally 10 seconds of google searching. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyrical_Ballads you will be studying the 1800 edition vol 1 so the list of poems is under that sub-heading.
    oh Im rubbish,thanks for your help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.