The Student Room Group

Need Urgent Advice

Hey I have paid my initial deposit to University of Strathclyde but due to political and economic crisis my local currency has depreciated more than 35 Rupees( Pakistani currency) per pound like when I applied it was 1£= 237 rupees and now it has risen up to 1£= 275 rupees and going up each passing day. It can be checked online too. I have paid my deposit some days ago but now I believe I cannot afford it now due the significant devaluation of money. Initially I have sufficient funds both for study and living expenses but now it has lowered upto 2700£ and time for applying for visa is near. How will I arrange more money in such less time? I have sent email to university describing the situation. Will they refund my deposit? Because on their website its stated from a long time that they are reviewing their refund policy and it will be updated anytime. So its unclear. Will I get my refund? Any one!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Aesopzai
Hey I have paid my initial deposit to University of Strathclyde but due to political and economic crisis my local currency has depreciated more than 35 Rupees( Pakistani currency) per pound like when I applied it was 1£= 237 rupees and now it has risen up to 1£= 275 rupees and going up each passing day. It can be checked online too. I have paid my deposit some days ago but now I believe I cannot afford it now due the significant devaluation of money. Initially I have sufficient funds both for study and living expenses but now it has lowered upto 2700£ and time for applying for visa is near. How will I arrange more money in such less time? I have sent email to university describing the situation. Will they refund my deposit? Because on their website its stated from a long time that they are reviewing their refund policy and it will be updated anytime. So its unclear. Will I get my refund? Any one!!

I'm not certain about refunds but due to the political crisis you mention they may be more willing to give you leeway when it comes to this. However, I'd recommend not betting on that and you should really try to get an answer from your university.
Reply 2
Original post by Doomotron
I'm not certain about refunds but due to the political crisis you mention they may be more willing to give you leeway when it comes to this. However, I'd recommend not betting on that and you should really try to get an answer from your university.

Thanks dear.. uni told me they not gonna refund it as its only in 2 cases either my study visa is refused or uni withdraws my course. So I am stuck. Dont know what to do? Till this day I've lost 5k pounds in devaluation of money than it was a month ago.
Thanks dear.. uni told me they not gonna refund it as its only in 2 cases either my study visa is refused or uni withdraws my course. So I am stuck. Dont know what to do? Till this day I've lost 5k pounds in devaluation of money than it was a month ago.

Unfortunately I can't give you specific advice since I have no experience with things like this. With the university not helping, you could try the Pakistan embassy in the UK (not sure how effective that'll be) or perhaps seeing if there is a government department that could help. Maybe UCAS?
Reply 4
Original post by Doomotron
Unfortunately I can't give you specific advice since I have no experience with things like this. With the university not helping, you could try the Pakistan embassy in the UK (not sure how effective that'll be) or perhaps seeing if there is a government department that could help. Maybe UCAS?

Yes dear.. I am not going to Strathclyde now.. have lost the deposit.. however I have still two offers for university of Salford in Manchester and Glasgow caledonian university..fee is much lesser than Strathclyde, so with money left with me i can afford to pay for my study and expenses so I ll go for that i guess.. but dont know which one ll be better?Manchester or Glasgow as a city to live in with spouse and a toddler? Do u have any views on this? Thanks dear.
Yes dear.. I am not going to Strathclyde now.. have lost the deposit.. however I have still two offers for university of Salford in Manchester and Glasgow caledonian university..fee is much lesser than Strathclyde, so with money left with me i can afford to pay for my study and expenses so I ll go for that i guess.. but dont know which one ll be better?Manchester or Glasgow as a city to live in with spouse and a toddler? Do u have any views on this? Thanks dear.

Unfortunately I don't know enough here to give an opinion (although people in TSR will) but the league tables (https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?tabletype=full-table) may be useful for you. Additionally the universities should have subgroups here on TSR which you can use to ask questions.

First of all, be absolutely certain that you will recover your investment in Pakistan, because in all honesty, you couldn't be sure to recover even the value of UK fees at those universities, let alone overseas fees. You might find yourself in a very difficult situation, just like the deposit issue, but with the overall cost of completing the course, versus any hope of recovering that money through future salary. Can you leverage the right salary increase for ANY UK postgrad degree in Pakistan? You certainly can't in the UK.

They are both decent, diverse cities to live in. Both famously poor weather, Glasgow is obvs in Scotland, which is different to England, but not in a bad, way, just different. But as above, ask in the Uni specific forums on here for a more detailed view.

Btw, unless you are over 60, don't call people you don't know/love 'dear', it just isn't how the word is used :smile:
Original post by threeportdrift
First of all, be absolutely certain that you will recover your investment in Pakistan, because in all honesty, you couldn't be sure to recover even the value of UK fees at those universities, let alone overseas fees. You might find yourself in a very difficult situation, just like the deposit issue, but with the overall cost of completing the course, versus any hope of recovering that money through future salary. Can you leverage the right salary increase for ANY UK postgrad degree in Pakistan? You certainly can't in the UK.

They are both decent, diverse cities to live in. Both famously poor weather, Glasgow is obvs in Scotland, which is different to England, but not in a bad, way, just different. But as above, ask in the Uni specific forums on here for a more detailed view.

Btw, unless you are over 60, don't call people you don't know/love 'dear', it just isn't how the word is used :smile:

I didn't mind being called dear to be fair...

I've seen this usage a few times now, and it intrigues me. Do you think it comes from people learning salutations for letters, and thinking that 'Dear' can be then used to refer to an unnamed person?

I echo the sentiment about ensuring you can recover your investment.
Reply 9

Thanks a lot for your input. Its Its really helpful. Regarding the word 'dear' I was just trying to be polite. And I am 40.
Thanks a lot for your input. Its Its really helpful. Regarding the word 'dear' I was just trying to be polite. And I am 40.

That's OK, but be aware, it makes you sound very odd. It's a word that is not usually used in the context you are writing in. What subject are you studying, there may be other universities that have a stronger reputation, that then holds its value more in the professional market place?
Reply 11
That's OK, but be aware, it makes you sound very odd. It's a word that is not usually used in the context you are writing in. What subject are you studying, there may be other universities that have a stronger reputation, that then holds its value more in the professional market place?

Thanks for pointing out, otherwise I was not aware of that. Regarding my studies its MSc supply chain management and logistics. I have got offers from several universities including university of Strathclyde Glasgow, Glasgow caledonian university and university of Salford Manchester. I just can't decide which one to join. Strathclyde fee is 7k higher than the two others. Mostly people have told me that university ranking doesn't Matter in job market in UK and it's your skills and experience that matters.Some say uni ranking does matter. So I dont know which one to opt for?
Thanks for pointing out, otherwise I was not aware of that. Regarding my studies its MSc supply chain management and logistics. I have got offers from several universities including university of Strathclyde Glasgow, Glasgow caledonian university and university of Salford Manchester. I just can't decide which one to join. Strathclyde fee is 7k higher than the two others. Mostly people have told me that university ranking doesn't Matter in job market in UK and it's your skills and experience that matters.Some say uni ranking does matter. So I dont know which one to opt for?

Well the precautionary principle would suggest that if you don't know if reputation matters or not, then presume it does matter. Employers can ignore a prestigious institution if they want to, but you can't summon up a stronger degree reputation that you've got. Have you looked at what Cranfield offer in that subject area?

If you are looking for a job in the UK, then make sure it's in a shortage area where an employer is going to be able to sponsor you for any visa - if you need one.
Reply 13
Well the precautionary principle would suggest that if you don't know if reputation matters or not, then presume it does matter. Employers can ignore a prestigious institution if they want to, but you can't summon up a stronger degree reputation that you've got. Have you looked at what Cranfield offer in that subject area?

If you are looking for a job in the UK, then make sure it's in a shortage area where an employer is going to be able to sponsor you for any visa - if you need one.

That's was really helpful. Thanks a lot!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending