:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Good I'm glad we've got this sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Good I'm glad we've got this sorted.
    Me too. I was a bit worried for a minute there

ReputationRep:
    Is your union still open now? I live over from it and I only saw it busy during freshers week. Not a peep since.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest its always empty, any way why treck all the way there when there is the wateringhole/ bobin for first years and people living near campus and all the other bars in town for anyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unconvinced)
    to be honest its always empty, any way why treck all the way there when there is the wateringhole/ bobin for first years and people living near campus and all the other bars in town for anyone else
    It's not really a "treck" though, is it? Jump off number 20, cross road, order drink. lol

ReputationRep:
    lol true but its not got anything worth making that extra journey when there are other places just as good closer by. Its a shame because the union was really good during freshers week but since then i've only been a few times and with a few exceptions (halloween was really good) it was pretty dead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unconvinced)
    lol true but its not got anything worth making that extra journey when there are other places just as good closer by. Its a shame because the union was really good during freshers week but since then i've only been a few times and with a few exceptions (halloween was really good) it was pretty dead
    If you've only been a few times, how do you know?

ReputationRep:
    How many times does it take to get the message?

ReputationRep:
    They have different events every night :yes: And tbh, the Union does grow on you. I couldn't stand it at first but after a few months I started to enjoy time spent there.

Didn't they say they were closing the Union last year too? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    They have different events every night :yes: And tbh, the Union does grow on you. I couldn't stand it at first but after a few months I started to enjoy time spent there.

Didn't they say they were closing the Union last year too? :confused:
    Yup. They convinced the uni to renew the lease at the last minute.

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the problem is that Sin opened right next door, which is cheaper. Also, they do those vodka slush puppies, which a lot of people seem to enjoy

It is a shame about the union, but as someone else said, there's the Watering Hole for Hillhead, and the Bobbin for everyone else. It's just in the wrong place I think - a bar at King's would do well though, I think - would get societies meeting there, possibly if the Hub's downstairs bit was open 'til late and served alcohol that would be good

Also, if the union was more like RGU's, with a couple of different bars and a dance bit as well (I don't think I'm imagining the last part ) I think that would make it more appealing as well.

ReputationRep:
    What have you got against vodka slush puppies :hmmm:

They'll never close the Union. It'll be another last minute job.

ReputationRep:
    What have you got against vodka slush puppies :hmmm:

They'll never close the Union. It'll be another last minute job.
    Hmmm... I wouldn't be so sure. There's very little cash available and it's running at a large loss. I think that the only way forward (and not ideal) will be in a collaboration with RGU.

ReputationRep:
    Not having a separate Union for such a historic uni is pretty unthinkable though. Go forth and propose your plans for the Hole, however pish they may be!

ReputationRep:
    Go forth and propose your plans for the Hole, however pish they may be!
    Read that again

ReputationRep:
    The Hub is the union? All it needs is a licence to sell alcohol. :yep:

I heard the actual union is closing in January/March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperBrain)
    The Hub is the union? All it needs is a licence to sell alcohol. :yep:

I heard the actual union is closing in January/March.
    The hub is not the union. The hub does have a licence to sell alcohol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.