Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me Myself I)
    I think I probably agree with SF.

AUSA (in my opinion) seem to have a very low profile around the university compared to others that I've visited, and I've never really felt all that connected with them or their plans. Even at election time you just see pictures of smiling people, no mention of their ideas on how to make the place better - I'd be interested to know how many students actually vote in elections, and out of that number, how many actually know what they're voting for (although I appreciate the last part of that is impossible to survey).
    It's not a huge turnout, even though all the voting is done online. If I remember correctly, it's around 20-30%. People know who they are voting for - their mates. That's the extent of it I'm afraid. If you have a mate running, you vote for them. If you don't then you don't vote.

ReputationRep:
    By the time your at the Union you may as well go somewhere better in town. I didnt think it was all that bad until I went to Dundee and a few other unions which really make our Union seem god awful.
    Looks like we'll just have to find somewhere else to start nights out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    It's not a huge turnout, even though all the voting is done online. If I remember correctly, it's around 20-30%. People know who they are voting for - their mates. That's the extent of it I'm afraid. If you have a mate running, you vote for them. If you don't then you don't vote.
    I vote!

I have no idea who the people are, but I try to find out what they're standing for and vote for who I think would be best. Maybe I'm silly, but the SA committee decide so much, there should really be more publicity and suchlike to get the idea across to students, and make it seem like the done thing rather than something only friends of the candidates and idiots do.

Hmph. These things annoy me - it could all be done so much better, but I don't know who has the responsibility for sorting out how...

ReputationRep:
    I vote!

I have no idea who the people are, but I try to find out what they're standing for and vote for who I think would be best. Maybe I'm silly, but the SA committee decide so much, there should really be more publicity and suchlike to get the idea across to students, and make it seem like the done thing rather than something only friends of the candidates and idiots do.

Hmph. These things annoy me - it could all be done so much better, but I don't know who has the responsibility for sorting out how...
    Couldn't agree more.

ReputationRep:
    Er, it seems to me the obvious way to change things like that is to run for an AUSA Exec office. If Dundee's Students' Association is anything to go by, they give you a sabbatical year for most posts and pay you pretty decently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Er, it seems to me the obvious way to change things like that is to run for an AUSA Exec office. If Dundee's Students' Association is anything to go by, they give you a sabbatical year for most posts and pay you pretty decently.
    They do that here as well, I think the pay is around £12,500, but don't quote me on that.

I really don't want to spend more years than I have to in Aberdeen though. I know that sounds hypocritical, but atm my boyfriend is way down south, and my ideal career means doing 3 years of post-grad in England, so if things stay as they are, then I'll be leaving Aberdeen in June 2010.

ReputationRep:
    They do that here as well, I think the pay is around £12,500, but don't quote me on that.
    Well, when I set up to run at Dundee, it was sometime like 17,000. Which was pretty respectable considering they managed to swing it so you didn't have to pay council tax either.

I really don't want to spend more years than I have to in Aberdeen though. I know that sounds hypocritical, but atm my boyfriend is way down south, and my ideal career means doing 3 years of post-grad in England, so if things stay as they are, then I'll be leaving Aberdeen in June 2010.
    Fair dos.

ReputationRep:
    £17,000 is pretty reasonable!

I don't know... I feel bad complaining about the SA when I don't actually want to do the job myself, but at the end of the day, they're supposed to be providing a service to a very fast-growing university with high ambitions, and they just seem to be failing miserably at keeping up

ReputationRep:
    Just in case you didn't know, the Union is due to close its doors on the 28th November.

Hopefully they will be getting something up and running sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats soon, I thought it was closing at christmas!

ReputationRep:
    I think some people from the uni need to go down to Dundee to see how it's done! I love their Hub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd1989)
    I think some people from the uni need to go down to Dundee to see how it's done! I love their Hub.
    *Sigh*
    *Misses*

I complained about it all the time. The post-11pm entry charge, the completely unnecessary security staff at all hours of the day, the modern furnishings, the destruction of the debates chamber, getting told off by said security staff for taking drinks on the dancefloor and putting one's feet on the footstools (I mean really...), taking chips off the menu in Air and replacing them with mediocre potato wedges, the Air Bar being a complete misnomer since they failed to build the big Air-y balcony they had planned...

But still, good times.

ReputationRep:
    You complain whatever the weather

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine if we are getting a new union, the SA will be visiting other unions to see how it's done.
    Well, let's hope so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    So, time's ticking away and nothing new has been announced?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to the last night of the union tomorrow?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=45615811756

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperBrain)
    Anyone else going to the last night of the union tomorrow?

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=45615811756
    :shock:

OMG

ReputationRep:
    ******* disgrace!

ReputationRep:
    Sad to see it go. I had...1 good time in there.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I can't go, it's my friend's birthday

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2009

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.