Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, what's life without the union like?

ReputationRep:
    The same as it was with the Union.
    Except at The Bobbin on a Monday, drinks are cheap, and you can get the free bus to Tiger.
    Goooooood times.

ReputationRep:
    There's a free bus now?! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    There's a free bus now?! :eek:
    TBF, what use is a free bus to somewhere? It's a free bus home that you want.

ReputationRep:
    OOOH

I walked past the now dearly departed union today and they've put up a new sign saying "Fitzpatrick's Irish Bar", the door was open and they were repainting!

Hot Irish barmen FTW.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    OOOH

I walked past the now dearly departed union today and they've put up a new sign saying "Fitzpatrick's Irish Bar", the door was open and they were repainting!

Hot Irish barmen FTW.

ReputationRep:
    Fitzpatricks? :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    Eugh

ReputationRep:
    I'm 99% sure it said Fitzpatrick's. It did look a beautiful shiny (i.e. new) sign.
    Although they haven't taken the "To Let" sign down yet. It's only a matter of time before someone adds the "I" in between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    I'm 99% sure it said Fitzpatrick's. It did look a beautiful shiny (i.e. new) sign.
    Although they haven't taken the "To Let" sign down yet. It's only a matter of time before someone adds the "I" in between.
    Yeah... it was advertised on the radio this morning.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen this sign too...

Made me laugh.

Fitzpatricks....Jeeee I wonder if that's Irish, oh wait, it says Irish Bar underneath..just to confirm, haha.

Anyway I bet it's ***** You heard it here first!!

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ Yeah I'm just imagining the union but more expensive... and called fitzpatricks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielj315)
    ^^^ Yeah I'm just imagining the union but more expensive... and called fitzpatricks.
    With the bar staff in green hats.

ReputationRep:
    Duncan MacKay, AUSA president, is really committed to trying to get a new union sorted, but he fighting against so many things. Namely:

1. A large amount of apathy about the SA in general. Nobody particuarly seems to understand how much they do, and how much influence they have at the uni.
    2. The uni is refusing to give the SA a premises anywhere on campus, to run by itself. The Hub is not owned or run by the SA, this is done by Campus Services. The SA has asked about taking over where buchart is once the sports centre is up and running, but they've said no. They asked about king's pavillion as well, but that is apperently getting turned into an art gallery WTF? The other thing is that kings has a lot of residents, and they might not appriciate a loud union near by. There is also argumants about how king's is always prioritised over foresterhill. Frankly, I think the FH peeps need to get over it. Sorry.
    3. The memory of the littlejohn st union, as it was crap. It was all the same, and it needs to have different areas. At a SA council meeting last semester, it was suggested that a new union shouldn't be opened for 4 years, so that all the current students have gone and no one can remember the old one, and thus won't have preconceptions about the new one.
    4. A premises in town would have to be one in a current building, as there is no space in town I can think of to build a whole new one. Premises in town will cost a lot of money.
    5. BTW, the SA budet is £1.4 million. Consider that the refurb of the Hub cost £8million. They'll have to raise a lot of funds to get the union we deserve. I think it is worth being sure what we want and need out of our union before we go ahead and do it.

If you have a suggestion about all this, then email Duncan, he'll be happy to hear from you. And get involved, not least go to the AGM on 26th Feb 09. One thing I can't stand, people who complain but never do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ketisfolk)
    Duncan MacKay, AUSA president, is really committed to trying to get a new union sorted, but he fighting against so many things. Namely:

1. A large amount of apathy about the SA in general. Nobody particuarly seems to understand how much they do, and how much influence they have at the uni.
    2. The uni is refusing to give the SA a premises anywhere on campus, to run by itself. The Hub is not owned or run by the SA, this is done by Campus Services. The SA has asked about taking over where buchart is once the sports centre is up and running, but they've said no. They asked about king's pavillion as well, but that is apperently getting turned into an art gallery WTF? The other thing is that kings has a lot of residents, and they might not appriciate a loud union near by. There is also argumants about how king's is always prioritised over foresterhill. Frankly, I think the FH peeps need to get over it. Sorry.
    3. The memory of the littlejohn st union, as it was crap. It was all the same, and it needs to have different areas. At a SA council meeting last semester, it was suggested that a new union shouldn't be opened for 4 years, so that all the current students have gone and no one can remember the old one, and thus won't have preconceptions about the new one.
    4. A premises in town would have to be one in a current building, as there is no space in town I can think of to build a whole new one. Premises in town will cost a lot of money.
    5. BTW, the SA budet is £1.4 million. Consider that the refurb of the Hub cost £8million. They'll have to raise a lot of funds to get the union we deserve. I think it is worth being sure what we want and need out of our union before we go ahead and do it.

If you have a suggestion about all this, then email Duncan, he'll be happy to hear from you. And get involved, not least go to the AGM on 26th Feb 09. One thing I can't stand, people who complain but never do anything about it.

Ooh good post! :yes:

It seems Sin has sort of become the new union, in that people meet there before going elsewhere.

I don't see anything happening soon, but it's sad that this year's freshers probably won't have a union.

I still maintain that The Hub is like a union in many respects, but there's no bar/club aspect to it.

ReputationRep:
    Good post, but I'm going to pick at some points...

(Original post by ketisfolk)

The SA at Aberdeen uni has an attitude problem. For some reason it doesn't matter who is running it, but it always comes across as this elitist club that only certain people can join.

Kings is the main campus and therefore should be prioritised. Unfortunately, as you say, there are a lot of residential areas in and around Kings. This is why they have in the past been turned down licences to run a Union there.

It would cost a lot more to build one anyway.
    The hub didn't have a refurb - it was purpose built from the ground up.

In my experience emailing the presidents does not even get a reply.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to sound extremely stupid here, but since when did we have a new AUSA president?! I thought the elections were usually around March-ish, and I thought it was Angela someone-or-other? Have I completely missed elections without even noticing?!

The main problem for me is (as amply demonstrated above) that I have no idea who runs AUSA, or even what it is that they have responsibility for. I know they have a shiny new website, which is great, but I can't find who the president is for the life of me, and most of what I can find is out of date contact details for societies that don't appear to exist anymore

I don't mean to sound so harsh, since I'm sure that AUSA do the best job they can, but it's difficult to be very kind to them since I really don't know what it is they're supposed to do.

Come election time, you just see posters saying 'vote for A.N. Other', with no clue as to what they might be like as an officer, apart from a photo.

Also, it does come off a bit like an exclusive club, which I think deters people from voicing their opinions - I've e-mailed people with suggestions and offers of help on several occasions over the last 2.5 years, and heard nothing back.

On a separate note: are they supposed to help with job hunting/volunteer work finding/flat hunting? At various points I've had my name down on all these e-mail lists, and never heard anything back from them. From my experience of flat hunting, AUSA seems to have a smaller database of private landlords than the university accommodation office, who are really only supposed to deal with university halls. (although this experience was over a year ago, so things may hopefully have changed, especially with the advent of the new website).

Sorry if this all sounds very negative, but I've had a pretty poor experience with the University in general (including AUSA and the academic stuff) but I'm more than happy to help come up with suggestions for possible new unions/ways to improve AUSA in general, and help implement any feasible suggestions if anyone knows of a way to do this.

Until then, I'll carry on targeting graduates for money towards the new library, etc!

ReputationRep:
    First of all, Silly Fencer:

The SA at Aberdeen uni has an attitude problem. For some reason it doesn't matter who is running it, but it always comes across as this elitist club that only certain people can join.

In my experience emailing the presidents does not even get a reply.
    The SA is far from being an elitist club, it's just that the people in it are very enthusiastic to change things and so contect with each other on that level, which can make it seem cliquey. But seriously, we're very approachable. I email the VP and president and I do get a reply. When and what have you been emailing about?

The hub didn't have a refurb - it was purpose built from the ground up.
    The hub was a refurb. They gutted the central refectory and built the new stuff inside it. See link: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/central/vcampus/kings/ref.shtml

I agree with your other points.

Secondly Me Myself I:

'm going to sound extremely stupid here, but since when did we have a new AUSA president?! I thought the elections were usually around March-ish, and I thought it was Angela someone-or-other? Have I completely missed elections without even noticing?!
    You are right, the president last year(07/08) was Angela Fraser. This year it's Duncan MacKay. You somehow managed to miss all this, and I can't work out how, there was as many posters as ever... Anyway, next elections are in April, I believe. Try and remember to vote

The main problem for me is (as amply demonstrated above) that I have no idea who runs AUSA, or even what it is that they have responsibility for. I know they have a shiny new website, which is great, but I can't find who the president is for the life of me, and most of what I can find is out of date contact details for societies that don't appear to exist anymore
    Have you been on the website recently? Yes, some bits are neglected, I'll admit, but the societies listing is the most up to date it's ever been in recent times. Another way to get in touch with societies is to leave them a note in their pidgeon hole in the societies room in the Hub, 1st floor.
    Details of the current sabbatical officers can be found here:AUSA Exec Ctte

Also, it does come off a bit like an exclusive club, which I think deters people from voicing their opinions - I've e-mailed people with suggestions and offers of help on several occasions over the last 2.5 years, and heard nothing back.
    As with Silly Fencer, who and what have you been emailing about?

On a separate note: are they supposed to help with job hunting/volunteer work finding/flat hunting? At various points I've had my name down on all these e-mail lists, and never heard anything back from them. From my experience of flat hunting, AUSA seems to have a smaller database of private landlords than the university accommodation office, who are really only supposed to deal with university halls. (although this experience was over a year ago, so things may hopefully have changed, especially with the advent of the new website).
    #

The AUSA don't technically have to help students do anything except be represented regarding any issues affecting us on campus and on a local and national level as well. But any good trade union (and that is what AUSA is) will put on extra services for their members, and AUSA's includes joblink, for displaying vacancies, a volunteering database and 'dirty weekenders' for halping out every so often, and yes, there is a flat hunting database, which I was looking at recently and it seemed better stocked than ever. There is a lack of housing available in Aberdeen anyway though, bear that in mind. The details of all this are available on the website, though the links on the left hand side.

Until then, I'll carry on targeting graduates for money towards the new library, etc!
    Are you involved with the alumni phonecalls then I take it? Also, I'm not convinced about the new library, but that's a whole other point.

Anyway, to sum up, I think this years SA team is the most pro-active for a few years, and they are really trying to sort things out. I'm sorry if it seems inaccessable to people, I'm going to try and see what can be done about that.

ReputationRep:
    The SA seems very elitist. As someone who worked with the SA for Fresher's, it just looked like an exclusive club. It's not about what you know, it's who you know.

I want to know what the Rector is going to do about it, seeing as it was his main campaigning point.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 19, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.