Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    The union was awful. Admit that and then you'll get people to talk about how bad sin is.The union was stale,had no atmosphere and no interest. At least sin,when I went, was able to a crowd going and played music that reflected the mood of the night. Electric music for electric people and on a Friday night; that is what the people wanted and that is what the people got.
    Nope. You surely started uni last year? During my first and second years the union was brilliant. Plenty party games and different promos every night, loads of people, loads of noise.

Sin is a dreary bar which serves crap drink and has no bloody soap in the toilets!! The music they play is absolutely terrible, and not one "DJ" can mix to save their life.

ReputationRep:
    The union was good and bad. I loved the times I was there in Freshers, had some of the best nights of my life including one time when we didn't leave til closing time. There are other times when I've gone in cos I don't wanna wait in the cold for a bus after work, and there's no problem with me sitting in the corner in my pizza hut uniform, reaidng a book.

We need a union on campus. King's campus. The Foresterhill lot are not a significant portion of the university, and Rosemount is close enough for most of them to come onto campus. If only they'd thought of this while building the Hub, we could have had a bar/club in the basement.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you guys seem to understand the fact that aberdeen uni is in old aberdeen, a residential area, hence no chance of getting a union there. So, the union has to be in town and since it was surrounded by other nightclubs and pubs it couldnt compete. They offered as cheap drinks as they could but could not compete with chain pubs. Entertainment nights are important for a union but when only 2 members of the student population wanted to give up time and join the entertainment committee (the year i was involved anyway) then it was hard to come up with new ideas.

I dont think it was elitist when i was there. Like i said i did not know a SINGLE person be it a volunteer or staff member when i got involved so how is that elitist?!? As for the emails, i said i used to be part of AUSA (a few years ago) and I personally sent the emails out AND received replies and comments so I know people received them. I had info stalls thoughout my year. But to say AUSA needs to go out and talk to people, they do, but is impossible to speak to all 14/15,000 students!

As for the salary. I was on £12,500 and had to pay tax, I did not have to pay council tax but I did not get free accommodation like in some unis. That is significantly less than £17/18 grand that dundee and edinburgh are on. We were one of the lowest paid out of the uk I believe.

I dont think some people on this site realise the amount of work the exec committee has to do day to day - the number of university committees that must be attended and AUSA committees to be managed, the vast number of students that must be represented and supported thoughout appeals, disciplinaries and uni compaints, freshers week to be organised, societies and sports clubs to be managed, general welfare campaigns to be run, charity events (fashion show, student show, torcher, jailbreak...), sporting events (BUSA leagues, granite city challenge, superteams), grad ball, joblink service, volunteering centre, niteline, info centre, running elections, gaudie, the radio station, class rep training... the list is huge.

Anyway, since some of you feel very stongly about how crap the AUSA is I expect you will have made some effort and put yourself forward for an exec position, incase you havent already you have until friday:
    http://www.ausa.org.uk/content/page.php?page_id=30

Committee positions will be available later on this year.

Over and out.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what freshers is going to involve without a union? I don't know anywhere in Aberdeen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LillieF)
    Does anyone know what freshers is going to involve without a union? I don't know anywhere in Aberdeen!
    Liquid, maybe some gigs at Tunnels, maybe films at vue, usually a discount thing at Codonas, Bobbin. That's what has happened for last 2 years I think...

ReputationRep:
    Well if the rumours are true, and the uni has bought over the Bobbin, then we'll be having it there I would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Sin is a dreary bar which serves crap drink and has no bloody soap in the toilets!!
    Let's face it, the natives were nicking it and mixing it with screenwash to make a delightful cocktail.

(Original post by abgrad)
    I dont think you guys seem to understand the fact that aberdeen uni is in old aberdeen, a residential area, hence no chance of getting a union there.
    Hmm, I don't see why. St Andrew's Union (which is relatively modern) is in a mixed area, plenty of people living nearby there. Admittedly, they have restrictive opening hours, but it's certainly not impossible. There are, after all, licensed premises in and around Old Aberdeen. Perhaps more significantly, there are parts of university owned land which are reasonably enough distant from residential areas to make it entirely practical. It doesn't have to be right on the High Street or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Obligatory FB protest group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=76145171030

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperBrain)
    Obligatory FB protest group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=76145171030
    Although otherwise well positioned, the Butchart is still too residential for them to be seriously suggesting it. It's unfortunate, but students' unions always bring a bit of loutish behaviour and extra noise.

ReputationRep:
    If you have read the gaudie thiis month, you'll know that Buchart is now confirmed as the union space. They said in the guadie that work will begin at the end of July, so that it is ready in time for Fresher's week, but that is definately a fool's dream. This university doesn't get things like building work done on time. It won't be licensed, but it will be ours (The Hub isn't ours - it belongs to campus services, same people that run zeste, tiki cafe etc). Well, it'll mostly be ours. They still have to give back the games hall for exams. Yeah, I realise this doesn't sound like a great arrangement at all, but I'm just pleased there will be more societies space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ketisfolk)
    If you have read the gaudie thiis month, you'll know that Buchart is now confirmed as the union space. They said in the guadie that work will begin at the end of July, so that it is ready in time for Fresher's week, but that is definately a fool's dream. This university doesn't get things like building work done on time. It won't be licensed, but it will be ours (The Hub isn't ours - it belongs to campus services, same people that run zeste, tiki cafe etc). Well, it'll mostly be ours. They still have to give back the games hall for exams. Yeah, I realise this doesn't sound like a great arrangement at all, but I'm just pleased there will be more societies space.
    Forgive me if I'm being thick, but do societies really need more space? After all, there's plenty of bookable rooms that the university owns, aren't there?
    Not to mention all the private venues societies use...

It just seems to me that this will have limited uses. To serve food would just emulate the Hub. Is it conceivable that it could be used for events where people can bring their own alcohol? Ceilidhs and suchlike?

All I can see this doing is setting back the need (and I do think it is a need) for a real, fully licensed union back further than it is at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ketisfolk)
    I seriously do not believe that Freshers Week will be popular if there is no licence.
    What's the contingency plan for Fresher's if it's not ready in time? And what kind of events will they have at Fresher's if it is ready in time?

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a bit off topic but where do you get the gaudie? is it possible to subscribe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starvla246)
    I know this is a bit off topic but where do you get the gaudie? is it possible to subscribe?
    They just put copies all over campus and you just pick one up when you're passing. Don't think you can subscribe no...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Although otherwise well positioned, the Butchart is still too residential for them to be seriously suggesting it. It's unfortunate, but students' unions always bring a bit of loutish behaviour and extra noise.
    Yet the Bobbin is about 100 yards from Butchart, and i think if you live right next to university, you expect student behaviour e.g. drinking.

Butchart without a license is gonna be crap. The Hub is on the main road, away from houses, why not just extend it's license and open downstairs at night? Plenty of space to hang out and drink...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Yet the Bobbin is about 100 yards from Butchart, and i think if you live right next to university, you expect student behaviour e.g. drinking.
    You probably should, but residents never look at things that way. As for the Bobbin issue, rightly or wrongly, a union will be less favourably looked upon than a pub - and having two licensed premises in an area is a lot different to having one.

Butchart without a license is gonna be crap. The Hub is on the main road, away from houses, why not just extend it's license and open downstairs at night? Plenty of space to hang out and drink...
    The same people would probably object: it's not even so much the noise it makes, but the noise of people scattering out home. Whilst there are a lot worst-positioned unions than that, I also know the licensing boards can be completely ***** - particularly in quite provincial cities like Aberdeen.

Still though, the Hub with - say - a midnight or 1am licence still wouldn't tick all the boxes of an adequate students' union. For one, it wouldn't be owned by AUSA but perhaps more significantly it wouldn't have any sort of nightclub facility.

Trying to move the Hub in a more union-like direction would probably not be looked kindly upon by the university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't see the great need for a Union, to be honest. Hillheadians have the Hole. CJ's, and anyone who lives around King's, has the Bobbin. Why should a university be any better at running a bar/club than a commercial company? I'll agree that I had some great nights at the old union on Littlejohn, but not a great deal different to the Bobbin - and the Bobbin has the added bonus of good food and daytime opening too.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.