The Student Room Group

#FindYourFuture - Results 2022

Poll

Are you receiving results this August?

:woo: #FindYourFuture - Results 2022 :woo:

After an uncertain couple of years, this academic year has been a process of getting back to normality. Students have pushed through a disrupted year of learning and faced changes to the exam season to account for it. It's been so impressive to see TSR users' determination through the exam period and we aim to support all students in whatever path they are headed down. Results day is approaching and its important that everyone feels supported regardless of the outcome.

#FindYourFuture aims to encourage students to embrace the wide variety of options available and celebrate the diversity of futures students are working towards.

We want to take the pressure off results day and reassure students that all outcomes can be celebrated - whether you got the grades you wanted or you're looking at different options - TSR is here to support your journey to finding a future that is right for you.

We have a wealth of resources for a range of different paths - you could be:

preparing for starting at your first choice uni

accessing clearing

exploring apprenticeships

looking into career options

Useful links include:

We would love to hear about your future below and come together to support each other in our individual journeys.

You could...

share your own path and future - the high, the lows and how you ended up where you are now?

encourage and support one another

pop on this thread to reach out to support people in a similar situation to you.

Show your support and share your own stories and encouragement on social media (just use #FindYourFuture and tag in @thestudentroom)
(edited 1 year ago)
Good luck to everyone getting results this year! :smile:
Good luck to all the A -levels students and BTEC students that are getting the results in August! :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Good luck
My story has a little bit of the unexpected in it...

I always wanted to teach. At first the plan was to be a primary school teacher, then I had changed my mind to secondary school. In 6th form I took A Levels in English Lit, Maths and History. The question then became whether I wanted to teach Maths or History. I knew that Maths would provide much more job opportunities - but my heart was to History. So, knowing that to be a teacher I needed at least 50% of a degree in History, I also looked at what else I could study. I settled on Education studies, since I had researched the course and found myself incredibly interested.

So my intention was to apply for Education and History at the following unis: Birmingham, Cambridge, Durham, Keele, Newcastle. Small problem: got to the Cambridge open day and they told me they've stopped doing the joint honours course. Oh. Stuck with what to do now, I could either research and apply to another university (the 4 year course at Strathclyde didn't massively appeal to me) to add to my UCAS application. Or I could apply to Cambridge anyway, either for History or for Education Studies - and that is what I decided to do.

I submitted my UCAS application and within 24 hours received an offer from Newcastle's combined honours course. (I would really appraise Newcastle for being a very organised and well-coordinated uni.) To my surprise I managed to land myself an interview, and then an offer! I then had a dilemma - do I turn down Cambridge because they don't offer my preferred course? Or do I attend Cambridge because it's Cambridge (and I really liked it there)?

In the end I turned down Cambridge, and I still remember the shocked look of my teachers too. On Results Day I missed the grades I needed for Durham. Durham took an extra week considering me as a near miss before actually rejecting me and off to Keele (my insurance choice) I went in September 2017. 3 years and 1 lockdown later I finish with a 2:1 and progress to a PGCE in History at another university which I won't name. I start the PGCE in September 2021 ahead of another lockdown. Most of the university input is online, to protect my school placement which was still in person for the first term.

Then one day in February, I threw up. Feeling very very ill, I texted my parents and my girlfriend to tell them I was unwell. Thank God I did. The next day nobody is able to get in touch with me, they don't hear from me all day (this is highly unusual for me). The next thing I know I'm in hospital, waking up to staff telling me that the ICU is ready for me. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes aged 21, in the middle of my teacher training year. I spent 4 nights in hospital and went home for 2 weeks to recover further.

To add: the university refused to follow up on initial concerns on the phone from my parents and from my girlfriend, it took them 7 hours to actually act on the information being given to them. Had they left me longer it could easily have been fatal. After official complaints the university still maintained that they had done nothing wrong. I don't name this university publicly for my own privacy, but if you have health conditions and want to know which uni this is, please PM me. This is an institution who on paper is happy to leave students in a room to die.

I finished the PGCE and knew I wasn't physically ready to hit a full time teaching job. I moved to a new city, joined a supply agency and have spent a year working as a cover supervisor. Now I'm at the end of that year and am happy to do another one. The career pathway I'd had in my mind for so long had to be stalled for my health. Despite all the planning I'd done since choosing my GCSEs I could never have expected that to happen.

The point is... the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft agley.
However much you set yourself up for success and achievement, there can always be something that comes in sideways unexpectedly. Don't fight it, embrace it, listen to what the world is telling you.
#FindYourFuture
(edited 1 year ago)
In 2014 Ross Murdoch won gold in the Mens 200m Breastroke at the Glasgow commonwealth games.

In 2015 and 2016 he won 3 European Gold medals.

Later in his career Murdoch wasn't selected to represent Team GB, and actually announced his retirement.

Ross came back out of retirement for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth games and won a surprise bronze on the 200m breastroke despite not really having any build up to the competition. 200m breastroke is Murdoch's main event.

An even bigger surprise, is that while Adam Peaty was finishing his 50m breakstroke gold race, Ross Murdoch also picked up that Bronze medal to his surprise and celebrated even more than Adam Peaty.

Ross Murdoch was happier with a Bronze than Adam Peaty was with a Gold. Murdoch has enrolled to join the police service in Scotland and these commonwealths may be his last major games.

The lesson: success comes in different forms for different people. We can't all get a gold medal, we can't all break world records, but we can all be happy and pleased with the things we achieve in life.
Original post by 04MR17
In 2014 Ross Murdoch won gold in the Mens 200m Breastroke at the Glasgow commonwealth games.

In 2015 and 2016 he won 3 European Gold medals.

Later in his career Murdoch wasn't selected to represent Team GB, and actually announced his retirement.

Ross came back out of retirement for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth games and won a surprise bronze on the 200m breastroke despite not really having any build up to the competition. 200m breastroke is Murdoch's main event.

An even bigger surprise, is that while Adam Peaty was finishing his 50m breakstroke gold race, Ross Murdoch also picked up that Bronze medal to his surprise and celebrated even more than Adam Peaty.

Ross Murdoch was happier with a Bronze than Adam Peaty was with a Gold. Murdoch has enrolled to join the police service in Scotland and these commonwealths may be his last major games.

The lesson: success comes in different forms for different people. We can't all get a gold medal, we can't all break world records, but we can all be happy and pleased with the things we achieve in life.

PRSOM.

Amazing story and amazing advice. Thank you so much for this!

There is always a pathway! Life is so unpredictable.
Should have had BTEC/CTEC as another option rather than lumping it in under "Yes- another kind of qualification". I don't do BTECs but small thing.
Same for T-level should have been another option in my opinion.
Also some people are receiving results for BTECs and A-levels i.e they do both so an "other" option would have been good too.

Spoiler

(edited 1 year ago)
Good luck for Thursday, everyone! Remember we're all here for you. :heart:

Good luck to everyone getting their results this week!

I've talked in previous years about just missing out on my firm and getting into my insurance, which actually worked out so much better than if I'd gone to my firm. So, things often happen for a reason :yep: remember that we're here to support you, keep chatting to friends and family too!
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow from everyone at Student Minds :heart:

We will be thinking of you all! Please do reach out if you are need in of support, we are here for you.

- Grace (Student Minds)
Hope everyone did amazing!

Quick Reply

Latest