The Student Room Group

How is it doing a pharmacy course

I’m an a level student doing chem bio and psychology. I was interested in a pharmacy course but I’m someone who isn’t awful at chemistry, but I’m not the best either, and with all these posts online all i’m reading is that it is extremely hard with tons of chemistry, and the course is a lot harder than even med. Id like some opinions from pharmacist students and know some details of the course if possible, thanks
Original post by xoxovdo
I’m an a level student doing chem bio and psychology. I was interested in a pharmacy course but I’m someone who isn’t awful at chemistry, but I’m not the best either, and with all these posts online all i’m reading is that it is extremely hard with tons of chemistry, and the course is a lot harder than even med. Id like some opinions from pharmacist students and know some details of the course if possible, thanks

Hi there.

@quasa could help. :smile:

Best wishes. :smile:
Original post by xoxovdo

Hi @xoxovdo

My name is Aaliya, a third year pharmacy student at the University of Huddersfield.
There is definitely an element of chemistry in pharmacy, however, if you work hard and dedicate your time to understanding the chemistry side of things to the course, it can be achievable!
At the University of Huddersfield there is a large element of chemistry content in the first 2 years of the course.
Here is a breakdown of the course.

Year 1:
Pharmacy Practice
Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Human Physiology and Pathology
Formulation and Compounding of Medicines
Scientific Basis of Drug Action

Year 2:
Formulation and Pharmaceutics
Pharmacy Practice 2
Medical Pharmacology
Drug Synthesis Metabolism and Analysis
Pharmaceutical Microbiology

Year 3:
Molecular Pharmacology
Research Methods and Skills
Pharmacy Practice 3
Pharmaceutical Formulation and Drug Analysis

Year 4:
Pharmacy Practice 4
Applied Therapeutics - Living with Medicines
Drug Design and Development
Precision Medicine

Those in bold are modules with chemistry content. For more information visit https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/undergraduate/pharmacy-mpharm :smile:

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask questions!

Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by xoxovdo

One of my friends, a pharmacy student, had a bf who was a medical student, and he always said that looking at her work, the pharmacy course was harder than medicine.

Yes, there is chemistry, quite a bit of organic chemistry, back in the day, (early 90s!), it was called Pharmaceutical chemistry and was a fifth of our studies along with :
pharmacology
pharmaceutics
clinical pharmacy and law and ethics
pharmacognosy (the study of drugs from plants.)

Teaching methods have changed a lot.
Where I studied it was just 'chalk and talk' lectures, and practicals. There were hardly any tutorials or seminars until the 3rd and final year. (it was still a 3 year degree back then!)

What grade at A level are you predicted?
Do you think you can buckle down and try really hard with it?
But if you absolutely hate chemistry, or are really bad at it, then I would seek advice from a careers advisor, or possibly a better idea would be book a chat with some school of pharmacy admissions tutors to get their opinion.
If Chem is hard then look instead at other courses as Chem is the main subject in Pharm degrees - ie. the Cellular and Molecular course pathways at Bristol may give you some ideas : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/ (scroll down for course options).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending