Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be attending a careers fair next week and many companies will be there, these include:

ACCA
    Barclays
    BDO Stoy Hayward
    CIMA
    CIPFA
    Hatsand
    HM Revenue and Customs
    HSBC
    State Street Bank
    VT Plc

I have researched the companies and have alot of information about them, but i wanted to know that is there anything that they will be looking for a undergraduate Accounting and Finance student should know or should ask?
    Thanks for all the help, im really nervous and want to make the most out of this.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously don't worry about it, this is the opportunity for you to find out what you want to know, you're not being assessed. They just want to encourage as many people to apply to their schemes. It's your chance to quiz them before you get to interview where it's switched round and they will quiz you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel1188)
    Seriously don't worry about it, this is the opportunity for you to find out what you want to know, you're not being assessed. They just want to encourage as many people to apply to their schemes. It's your chance to quiz them before you get to interview where it's switched round and they will quiz you.
    I wasnt worried until i had a word with my careers advisor and she said that i need to make sure that i know this & that about the companies, what i want to do after my degree why? etc etc Its just i have a few questions but is ther anything else that i should ask or should be expected to know?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well if it's like a normal careers fair it sounds like you've already done enough research to prevent you sounding like an idiot.

I honestly can't think of anything they would expect you to ask or expect you to know other than the basics of what they do. Even if you don't know, they're there to tell you!

ReputationRep:
    Do enough research, about these companies, to be able to ask intelliigent questions and have a meaningful conversation.

ReputationRep:
    Its much easier to get decent freebies when you know enough to have a interesting conversation. I knew nothing about law and when i went to the law career fair i came out with no decent freebies. The finanace fair I knew enough to have a short conversation and i got much better stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billyboymccoy)
    Its much easier to get decent freebies when you know enough to have a interesting conversation. I knew nothing about law and when i went to the law career fair i came out with no decent freebies. The finanace fair I knew enough to have a short conversation and i got much better stuff.
    it's not all about the free stuff :p:

OP - ask the questions that you want to ask to aid your application or to find out if you want to work there. There's not too much chance to make a really big impact or a good contact given the amount of people that pass through there, and the fact that you can't really have a long conversation because of the amount of people that will also have questions. So just think of what you need to know and can ask to make a good impression but most importantly to derive the most value from the day.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.