The Student Room Group

Level 3

I have a level 3 and want to study further,is it a good idea to do level 4,5 college online and do a top up at uni?Please help
Original post by Andreea_blue
I have a level 3 and want to study further,is it a good idea to do level 4,5 college online and do a top up at uni?Please help

What type of qualification is your level 3 qualification? The term "level 3" (used in the context of a UK qualification) could refer to an A level, an AS level, a diploma, a certificate, music grades 6/7/8, or a variety of other qualifications. Generally speaking the term "level 3" describes the level of difficulty, but not the "size" of the qualification.

For example, the following are all level 3 qualifications, but are different in "size" (expressed below in terms of how many A levels they're equivalent to):
BTEC Level 3 Certificate (0.5 x A level)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate (1 x A level)
BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma (1.5 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Diploma (2 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (3 x A levels)

What subject is your level 3 qualification?

You ask, "is it a good idea to do level 4,5 college online and do a top up at uni?" That very much depends on what you want to do with your qualification, and whether you prefer to study online (remotely) or in person. What qualification are you ultimately hoping to obtain? There may be alternative routes to get you there.
Original post by DataVenia
What type of qualification is your level 3 qualification? The term "level 3" (used in the context of a UK qualification) could refer to an A level, an AS level, a diploma, a certificate, music grades 6/7/8, or a variety of other qualifications. Generally speaking the term "level 3" describes the level of difficulty, but not the "size" of the qualification.

For example, the following are all level 3 qualifications, but are different in "size" (expressed below in terms of how many A levels they're equivalent to):
BTEC Level 3 Certificate (0.5 x A level)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate (1 x A level)
BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma (1.5 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Diploma (2 x A levels)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (3 x A levels)

What subject is your level 3 qualification?

You ask, "is it a good idea to do level 4,5 college online and do a top up at uni?" That very much depends on what you want to do with your qualification, and whether you prefer to study online (remotely) or in person. What qualification are you ultimately hoping to obtain? There may be alternative routes to get you there.

It is a NCFE level 3 in Human Resource (skills for business),would like to do it remotely (I am not from Uk).Tried to look up at colleges online but I am not convinced about their accreditation.Found Lsib,Severn College,Ukversity that offer these online level 4,5,6 they offer athm and ofqual accreditation.I don’t understand how it works in Uk and don’t want to have a surprise that they are not recognized.If you can please recommend some colleges or what to look for .Thank you in advance 🙏
It is a NCFE level 3 in Human Resource (skills for business),would like to do it remotely (I am not from Uk).Tried to look up at colleges online but I am not convinced about their accreditation.Found Lsib,Severn College,Ukversity that offer these online level 4,5,6 they offer athm and ofqual accreditation.I don’t understand how it works in Uk and don’t want to have a surprise that they are not recognized.If you can please recommend some colleges or what to look for .Thank you in advance 🙏

You can check the UK Register of Learning Providers (UKRLP) here - which includes those which provide distance learning. Note, however, that the UKRLP does not quality-assure or accredit the learning provision of the registered providers in any way. There is a proposed scheme to cover the accreditation of online education providers (details here), which is due to launch this year. Whether it does or not remains to be seen!

What's probably more important than the college being accredited is that the qualification is accredited. Note, however, that whether it's an accredited qualification in the UK may mean nothing in terms of it's accreditation wherever in the world you are.

You can check the Register of Regulated Qualifications here. For example, your existing level 3 qualification is listed here as "NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Skills for Business: Human Resources". Not that this really matters to you, but you can also see exactly the same qualification listed in the UCAS Tariff Points calculator, here, as being worth between 24 and 84 points (depending on your grade). UCAS Tariff Points would be relevant if you were looking to attend a UK university.

Once you know what qualification you want (and you know that it's accredited) you can check with the body which awards that qualification (e.g. NCFE for your existing qualification) to ensure you use a college which is approved by them. For example, QualHub is the site which can be used to browse for qualifications across NCFE and CACHE brands. If I search for your existing qualification using its Qualification Number (601/2649/8) I can see it's details here. I can then use the "Find a centre" panel on that page to search for centres which have been approved (by NCFE) to deliver that qualification. Even though you're learning remotely, I assume you'd enter the town/postcode where your learning provider is physically based here.
Original post by DataVenia
You can check the UK Register of Learning Providers (UKRLP) here - which includes those which provide distance learning. Note, however, that the UKRLP does not quality-assure or accredit the learning provision of the registered providers in any way. There is a proposed scheme to cover the accreditation of online education providers (details here), which is due to launch this year. Whether it does or not remains to be seen!

What's probably more important than the college being accredited is that the qualification is accredited. Note, however, that whether it's an accredited qualification in the UK may mean nothing in terms of it's accreditation wherever in the world you are.

You can check the Register of Regulated Qualifications here. For example, your existing level 3 qualification is listed here as "NCFE Level 3 Diploma in Skills for Business: Human Resources". Not that this really matters to you, but you can also see exactly the same qualification listed in the UCAS Tariff Points calculator, here, as being worth between 24 and 84 points (depending on your grade). UCAS Tariff Points would be relevant if you were looking to attend a UK university.

Once you know what qualification you want (and you know that it's accredited) you can check with the body which awards that qualification (e.g. NCFE for your existing qualification) to ensure you use a college which is approved by them. For example, QualHub is the site which can be used to browse for qualifications across NCFE and CACHE brands. If I search for your existing qualification using its Qualification Number (601/2649/8) I can see it's details here. I can then use the "Find a centre" panel on that page to search for centres which have been approved (by NCFE) to deliver that qualification. Even though you're learning remotely, I assume you'd enter the town/postcode where your learning provider is physically based here.

Thank you for the info looks like a lot of research lol Can someone recommend some examples of college online.Was looking at Severn College the other day.Is it legit?Uni is too expensive for me and was thinking to do college then top up at uni .
It is a NCFE level 3 in Human Resource (skills for business),

Its a vocational qualification and not designed for Uni entrance.
And you dont need a degree to work in Human Resources.
Original post by McGinger
Its a vocational qualification and not designed for Uni entrance.
And you dont need a degree to work in Human Resources.

Thank you.From what I know it is still accepted by different universities in the Uk.I am a freelancer now But would like to finish my studies.I am confused if should do College and top up or go to Uni But seems too expensive .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending