Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Mate I just ordered a couple of dipping belts from APT with an order so when it gets here (should be less than 10 work days) we can test it out and if you want it you can have it for £15 which is about what I paid for it and cheaper than most belts here seem to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Mate I just ordered a couple of dipping belts from APT with an order so when it gets here (should be less than 10 work days) we can test it out and if you want it you can have it for £15 which is about what I paid for it and cheaper than most belts here seem to be.
    Nice one dude, will almost certainly take you up on that!

ReputationRep:
    Friday:

Squats:
    70x5
    90x5
    107.5x5
    125x5
    145x3
    107.5x8

Press:
    35x5
    42.5x5
    52.5x5
    60x5
    70x3
    52.5x8

Rows:
    45x5
    57.5x5
    67.5x5
    80x5
    92.5x3
    67.5x8

Easy. Gym was hot as hell though, I got through twice as much water as I usually do.

I really like this program, and I know I've only just begun (progress due in a couple of weeks) but it feels right. Definitely prefer the ramp-up to a lone heavy set than a daunting 3x5.

My girlfriend's gone home this weekend so I don't have to eat with her. She doesn't really like red meat. Which means tonight I'm having an entire M&S boneless beef roasting joint to myself. Bought some big packs of salted beef to snack on, too. I'll throw in half a GOMAD and some whey for good measure. Loving my low-carb, meat-heavy cut.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean about volume sets. They are lame.

Also, does a 0.5GOMAD count as low carb now days? lol

ReputationRep:
    Have some fish oil with it and s'all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    I know what you mean about volume sets. They are lame.

Also, does a 0.5GOMAD count as low carb now days? lol
    Well, the rest of my day's food was almost devoid of them. Although I suppose you're right. Can't remove it from my diet though, it's the only thing that stops me from feeling extreme hunger pangs.

And yep George, got a big pack of high-strength caps yesterday!

I ******* hate this cut, I'm due dinner but I promised my girlfriend I'd take her to Nandos tonight, and she's not here yet. She said she'd be back in Nottingham this afternoon, but didn't take her phone charger home and it's died so I have no idea how long I'll be waiting. Torture.

ReputationRep:
    New BW goal - cut down to 85KG (just weighed in at 93.4KG), then clean bulk back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    New BW goal - cut down to 85KG (just weighed in at 93.4KG), then clean bulk back up.
    You must be pretty stacked at 93.4kg now dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    You must be pretty stacked at 93.4kg now dude!
    Where 'stacked' means 'unnecessarily flabby due to careless and self-indulgent eating', then yes, yes I am. The gut's already been nicely reduced just through this past week of dieting though. BTW, you coming back to Nottingham next year?

I'm seriously ****** concerning revision, even though I actually went to everything this term it seems nothing went in and I've got 6 heavyweight exams to nail. Because of this, time in the gym is a luxury and I'm sorry to bail on my uni gym homies but Raw is going to be as far as I can go until the 3rd of June. But I'll be back.

Was having a bit of a panic attack about work earlier today (couldn't understand my philosophy of language reading AT ALL) so I went ahead and splurged on a pair of lifting shoes to make me feel better.

Yummy. Thinking about changing my wider squat stance for a narrower Olympic one too.

Will post Friday's workout; didn't do Monday and Wednesday isn't very exciting.

ReputationRep:
    Wait freshers panic about their exams? That's news to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    Wait freshers panic about their exams? That's news to me!
    Haha, I'm a 2nd year dude! And last semester went DREADFULLY...so I have every reason to. Last year I didn't give a ****, though.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, that explains it.

2nd year is ******* difficult.

ReputationRep:
    This diet feels like a sham, only 2700 calories a day and I'm not even getting hunger pangs. I know this is probably a good thing, but still, WTF. I get the feeling that if I was the proverbial Bebbs, I'd be lying on a scattered array of takeaway menus, in the foetal position, shaking.

ReputationRep:
    Friday:

Squats

72.5x5
    92.5x5
    110x5
    127.5x5
    150x3
    110x8

Presses

35x5
    45x5
    52.5x5
    62.5x5
    72.5x3
    52.5x8

Strict Pendlay Rows
    47.5x5
    57.5x5
    70x5
    80x5
    95x3
    70x8

Easy. New PBs only a week away now! Can't wait to lift in my new Adistars on Monday.

ReputationRep:
    V strong lifting mate, nice to see another person on Starrs.

If you want some figures, my Bench stalled on Week 7, and i'm starting Week 8 on monday, and everything else is still going strong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanage)
    V strong lifting mate, nice to see another person on Starrs.

If you want some figures, my Bench stalled on Week 7, and i'm starting Week 8 on monday, and everything else is still going strong!
    Cheers. Yeah, I'm probably going to have a few problems because of my cutting diet, although if everything goes to plan I should have a BW press (probs just a single) nailed in about 3 weeks! Focus is on pressing at the mo, so I'll probably switch to the default program if I have any significant problems. I'm hoping my bench will quickly follow my squatting and pressing progress because I didn't bench properly before Starrs for about 7 weeks.

Was surprised to take delivery of my Adistar 2004s today! Got them from http://www.sports-shoes.net/ for £80. They're a little bit narrow but I'm sure the leather will give a bit after a few workouts.

ReputationRep:
    Annoying/enlightening session today. Squatted/pressed/rowed in my new olympic shoes. It's thinking time:

Squats: Wide-stance didn't work in my shoes, they felt awful. Only managed 2 reps of 150KG. HOWEVER, full olympic squats feel ******* marvellous in them so I'm going to drop the weight a bit and continue that way in future. I figure this actually suits me best as: 1) I'm not a powerlifter, 2) it should be better for my leg development, 3) I have flexible hips and can get very low without losing ham tension and 3) I've always had the bar high, on my traps. I tested myself out by hitting a relatively easy double of 135 at the end of my squat session. I'm planning to do 140 for my heavy triple on Friday. Also tried some front squats today (never done them before) and they felt amazing.

Presses: Only hit 72.5x4, and I really should've had this, I hit 72.5x5x3 a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure my cutting diet is playing havoc with these. Might've been a form issue though, my performance in the press seems to be enormously sensitive to any imperfections. I've just discovered my armspan is 6'4 (I'm a shade under 6') so that probably doesn't help much. Anyway, I can't see myself making much headway on these until I begin to eat big again. According to ExRx strength standards, I've got an advanced press and not much more than an intermediate bench - perhaps increasing my bench will help move me forwards too.

Rows: No problems.

Thought I'd crack out some cleans to see how much difference proper shoes make. I can't stress how much easier power/full cleans are in olympic shoes. I've never been able to PC past 100KG before, but it was EASY. Reckon I could've taken a 110 PC today, and maybe a 120 full squat clean.

In conclusion: full high-bar oly squats from now on; might FSQ on recovery Wednesday; might switch bench and press around to change focus in my routine; thinking about incorporating some olympic work into my workouts, too (maybe swap rows out for PCs for a few weeks if I stall).

ReputationRep:
    With your overhead strength and cleans, weightlifting should suit you nicely. You could do squat cleans on Wednesday instead of front squats since full cleans tend to be easier to get the straight arm technique right on.

Then BOOM! You can compete

ReputationRep:
    Good pressing mate.
    Bit of a schoolboy squatting wide stance in weightlifting shoes though :p:

ReputationRep:
    cool stuff mr. fox, someone from PLUK trains at that RAW gym whos lifts are similar to yours, though he doesn't squat as much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.