Turn on thread page Beta

How to be really strong and awesome watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    With your overhead strength and cleans, weightlifting should suit you nicely. You could do squat cleans on Wednesday instead of front squats since full cleans tend to be easier to get the straight arm technique right on.

Then BOOM! You can compete
    Interesting idea...though do you think they should come before or after deadlifts? I'd normally be squatting before (good warmup for the deads), however I should imagine the potentiation from the deads would help me move a bit more weight on the cleans...

(Original post by Herr Stamper)
    Good pressing mate.
    Bit of a schoolboy squatting wide stance in weightlifting shoes though :p:
    Cheers dude. Haha, I said before that I was thinking about switching to an olympic stance, but I've seen George do some monstrous wide-stance squats in his shoes so I thought I'd give it a go!

(Original post by Bear Force One FTW)
    cool stuff mr. fox, someone from PLUK trains at that RAW gym whos lifts are similar to yours, though he doesn't squat as much.
    Interesting, what's his PLUK nick? It's funny, RAW has a crazy hardcore reputation among the general student population here (I suppose because most don't know any better), but it's not really much more than a gallery of idiots with 10KG dumbells. I feel a bit embarrassed when the uni rugby players turn up in their kit to **** around with EZ-bars. That **** seriously wouldn't go down with college football teams in the USA.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it before your deadlifts. Some of the old timers used to train this way. Aside from anything else it mean less loading and deloading the bar. Moving the bar fast in warmups will also help your deadlift as demonstrated by Andy Bolton.

Personally I'm surprised that WL shoes threw you off with your stance, which isn't really what a powerlifter would call wide at all.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhhhh! Cheers dude, will definitely try that on Wednesday!

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. It felt to me like the squats were demanding more of my quads, but my stance was too wide for them to apply enough power. It was a bit like trying to jump as high as I could with my legs wide apart rather than at shoulder width I suppose. Does that make sense?

Shoes are fantastic BTW, very comfortable, no problems with the width (they felt ******* tight when I first tried them on) in the gym. I tried to order your Ironwork IIs actually George, but they didn't have my size and mine were only a tenner more. Should imagine they're pretty much identical performance-wise though. Anyway, I definitely recommend the Adistar 04s to anyone else looking for OL shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really make much sense mate but it doesn't matter really since you're doing Oly squats now.

I imagine the shoes are about the same in terms of performance. There are Olympians using both and it's just a shoe at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Word.

Provisional new routine, still based around Starr's 5x5. Thoughts, anyone?

Monday:

Squat 5x5
    Press 5x5
    Row 5x5
    Olympic Assistance: Power Clean 3x5 (light, form work)

Wednesday:

Front Squats 2x5
    Squat Cleans 2x3
    Bench 4x5
    Deadlift 4x5

Friday:

Squat 5,5,5,5,3,8
    Press 5,5,5,5,3,8
    Row 5,5,5,5,3,8
    Olympic Assistance: Power Clean 3x3 (heavy)

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts: Drop the front squats because you already do them as part of a squat clean. Maybe do 3x3 cleans to get some of the volume back. I'd do deadlifts straight after cleans personally but it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the purpose of your training?

ReputationRep:
    It's to be really strong and awesome.

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts: Drop the front squats because you already do them as part of a squat clean. Maybe do 3x3 cleans to get some of the volume back. I'd do deadlifts straight after cleans personally but it's up to you.
    Good thinking. Will try 3x3, depending on how they feel might make it 4x3. I'll deadlift right after. Bench will come either first or last, probably depending on whether or not it's available.

(Original post by Herr Stamper)
    Whats the purpose of your training?
    It's purely recreational, just getting stronger for the sake of it. I just think olympic stuff is cool (and fun) and it should make my training a bit more interesting. I'd quite like a 130KG power clean by the end of the year at least.

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday:

Squat Cleans

60x3
    75x3
    85x3
    85x3

These felt easy so I thought I'd give 100 a go. I didn't chalk up, my left hand slipped, and I got pinned under the bar. Oops. Left it after that, was only supposed to be light squat work anyway. My clavicle ******* hurts though.

Bench

57.5x5
    70x5
    80x5
    92.5x5

Deadlifts

100x5
    117.5x5
    137.5x5
    157.5x5

ReputationRep:
    I would keep the front squats in personally and shift the cleans to friday, most people can front more than they can clean so you will likely get more weight on your outersweep and core from this which will assist your squatting tech.
    Notwithstanding they are both a massive help to the deadlift

ReputationRep:
    front squats are the shizzle

ReputationRep:
    If you want you can sub rows for power cleans, thats what i've done. It says you can on the website. http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm. I kept the deadlifts though.

Incorporating the Olympic Lifts:
    The above is basically setup for someone who doesn't know the OLs. Starr's original workout included Power Cleans and High Pulls. Instead of Bent Rows substitute Power Cleans. Rather than Deads substitute High Pulls. That’s a quick and dirty way of handling this without much disruption.

ReputationRep:
    High pulls aren't so much a replacement for the deadlift as an assistance exercise for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I would keep the front squats in personally and shift the cleans to friday, most people can front more than they can clean so you will likely get more weight on your outersweep and core from this which will assist your squatting tech.
    Notwithstanding they are both a massive help to the deadlift
    Interesting. Thing is, on the default program I'd only be back squatting lightly as a recovery session on the Wednesday anyway - I'm not going to make much progress on fronties by subbing them in unless I make it another squat effort day. I suppose I could, but I'm thinking that might be to the detriment of Friday (when I'm working up to a heavy triple of back squats).

Today I was due for 100KG recovery back squats, which I thought would translate for me to 85KG fronts. Seeing as I can clean that, I thought I may as well use that weight in squat cleans and improve my olympic tech whilst giving my legs the same squat workout they'd get in the rack. What do you think? I'm doing power cleans on Friday.

(Original post by Khanage)
    If you want you can sub rows for power cleans, thats what i've done. It says you can on the website. http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm. I kept the deadlifts though.
    Yeah, I saw that. I was thinking about subbing PCs in but I think Pendlay-Rx'd rows are awesome, so I'd rather leave PCs as assistance afterwards for now (especially seeing as doing heavy rows first doesn't seem to suppress my power clean effort at all).

ReputationRep:
    Full Olympic Squats:

67.5x5
    85.5x5
    102.5x5
    117.5x5
    140x3
    102.5x8

Maximum depth. Triple was well easy. Good times!

Strict Press

37.5x5
    45x5
    55x5
    62.5x5
    75x3
    55x8

Triple felt very nice again. Happy with this after a not-so-successful Monday.

Pendlay Rows:

47.5x5
    60x5
    72.5x5
    82.5x5
    97.5x3
    72.5x8

Triple was murder. Had to concentrate very hard to prevent my hips from kicking in.

Power Cleans:

75x3
    85x3
    95x3

Felt good. Concentration was on accelerating the bar up my legs and exploding at thigh level rather than yanking it straight off the ground.

ReputationRep:
    your pretty strong bro

the guy from PLUKs name is connor or something, he keeps a log

ReputationRep:
    Cheers bro! Feel weak as **** though, I've been watching olympic weightlifting on youtube instead of revising this afternoon and I'm well jealous of their swole explosive power.

ReputationRep:
    Yeee Buddddyyy

That's Some Good Squattin'

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Ronnie.

Gym was closed yesterday which was a bit gash.

Tuesday:

Full Olympic Squats

70x5
    87.5x5
    105x5
    122.5x5
    140x5

Loving the depth, can definitely feel a lot of progression coming my way with these.

Strict Press

37.5x5
    47.5x5
    55x5
    62.5x5
    75x3

No numerical progression, but felt easier than last time (3rd rep was easy, attempt on 4th was CLOSE).

Pendlay Rows

50x5
    60x5
    72.5x5
    85x5
    97.5x5

Hang Cleans

50x5
    60x5
    80x5

Thought these would help with my PC technique a bit.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.