Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Thanks Ronnie.

Gym was closed yesterday which was a bit gash.

Tuesday:

Full Olympic Squats

70x5
    87.5x5
    105x5
    122.5x5
    140x5

Loving the depth, can definitely feel a lot of progression coming my way with these.

Strict Press

37.5x5
    47.5x5
    55x5
    62.5x5
    75x3

No numerical progression, but felt easier than last time (3rd rep was easy, attempt on 4th was CLOSE).

Pendlay Rows

50x5
    60x5
    72.5x5
    85x5
    97.5x5

Hang Cleans

50x5
    60x5
    80x5

Thought these would help with my PC technique a bit.
    I find hang cleans much easier to perform correctly than PC's. I can shift less weight, which is expected, but the movement feels less "jerky". How did you find 80kg on the Hang cleans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzaa)
    I find hang cleans much easier to perform correctly than PC's. I can shift less weight, which is expected, but the movement feels less "jerky". How did you find 80kg on the Hang cleans?
    You've forced me to admit that I'm a pussy and that unracking the bar from the end of a clean back into a hook grip ******* hurts. I was gripping them in my palms which made the whole movement pretty awkward (I end up racking the bar in my hands rather than my shoulders if I don't hook grip). So it was pretty hard on 80KG, but probably shouldn't have been. Next time I think I'll just reset from the floor each rep and hook it. With hook grips on both though, I'd say power/full cleans feel smoother to me than hang cleans.

ReputationRep:
    Thursday:

Front Squats:

62.5x5
    77.5x5
    92.5x5

Squat Cleans:

62.5x3
    77.5x3
    87.5x3

Bench:

60x5
    70x5
    82.5x5
    95x5

Think this might be a PB, not sure if I ever hit 95x5 before. But it felt amazingly easy, so hopefully I'll be moving forward nicely in the coming few weeks. I'm pretty sure this must be due to my neglecting it as of late (and moving more weight in the press and other lifts).

Deadlifts:

100x5
    120x5
    142.5x5
    162.5x5

Quite easy.

ReputationRep:
    Saturday

Olympic Squats

70x5
    87.5x5
    105x5
    122.5x5
    145x3
    105x8

Felt gooooood.

Strict Presses

37.5x5
    47.5x5
    55x5
    65x5
    75x3
    55x8

75 was much easier today, reckon I could've had 5 if I'd tried for another 2 but I'll leave that for Tuesday.

Pendlay Rows

50x5
    60x5
    72.5x5
    85x5
    100x3
    72.5x8

Weren't great, a bit sloppy on the triple.

Power Cleans

75x3
    85x3
    97.5x3

Felt great. Apparently the shop below the gym rang RAW to complain about loud bangs coming from upstairs, though. Not sure what to do about that in future.

ReputationRep:
    Think I might have torn the meniscus in my left knee. Oh balls. Oh balls.

ReputationRep:
    Think I might have torn the meniscus in my left knee. Oh balls. Oh balls.
    Any idea how?

ReputationRep:
    **** Matt, that sucks. That's whats been niggling me since the start of easter pretty much.

Hope it all goes well with recovery.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not from any forceful impact, so it must have happened during my workout on Saturday. I think it might be something to do with my more compressive deep squatting of late. I don't think I twisted or anything during any of my heavy sets, but I hear the force in a deeper, bouncing squat can lead to a tear.

The joint's clicking at a certain point of extension, the cartilage feels slightly swollen, and it's a little bit stiff and slightly painful to walk on.

(Original post by Bebbs)
    **** Matt, that sucks. That's whats been niggling me since the start of easter pretty much.

Hope it all goes well with recovery.
    Did you have an MRI? If I end up needing knee surgery I'm going to /life.

EDIT: Was just reading around and apparently torn meniscuses from squatting are extremely rare, even among older folk (and even if your form is appalling). I can't work this one out, I'm going to squat tomorrow and I'll see how it fares.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, well when I did mine, I literally couldn't walk. I had to call a friend and have her drive me to the hospital. They didn't do an MRI of it cos they said it wasn't a serious tear but if it didn't heal within a period of 2-6 weeks to come back for one. It took about 8-9 weeks for it to stop aching constantly, about the time I started squatting again. If I hadn't been so busy moving back and forth between exe and canterbury and then exams and stuff I would have gone back for an MRI.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's not from any forceful impact, so it must have happened during my workout on Saturday. I think it might be something to do with my more compressive deep squatting of late. I don't think I twisted or anything during any of my heavy sets, but I hear the force in a deeper, bouncing squat can lead to a tear.

The joint's clicking at a certain point of extension, the cartilage feels slightly swollen, and it's a little bit stiff and slightly painful to walk on.

Did you have an MRI? If I end up needing knee surgery I'm going to /life.

EDIT: Was just reading around and apparently torn meniscuses from squatting are extremely rare, even among older folk (and even if your form is appalling). I can't work this one out, I'm going to squat tomorrow and I'll see how it fares.

I was getting terrible knee pain from squatting - it was debilitating at one point. It was because I was going too deep, I think, forcing my knees further out at the bottom - like a standing leg press rather than a squat. I've since changed my style - i'm squatting below parrallel but not ATG and my knees feel fine (touch wood).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebbs)
    Hmm, well when I did mine, I literally couldn't walk. I had to call a friend and have her drive me to the hospital. They didn't do an MRI of it cos they said it wasn't a serious tear but if it didn't heal within a period of 2-6 weeks to come back for one. It took about 8-9 weeks for it to stop aching constantly, about the time I started squatting again. If I hadn't been so busy moving back and forth between exe and canterbury and then exams and stuff I would have gone back for an MRI.
    Yeah, I don't trust the doctors up here, I'm gonna get it checked out properly when I get back home in a couple of weeks. Sounds like you def should've had an MRI dude!

(Original post by Lozzaa)
    I was getting terrible knee pain from squatting - it was debilitating at one point. It was because I was going too deep, I think, forcing my knees further out at the bottom - like a standing leg press rather than a squat. I've since changed my style - i'm squatting below parrallel but not ATG and my knees feel fine (touch wood).
    Interesting. I experimented a bit in the gym today and found I was absolutely fine squatting with a slightly narrower stance (no wider than shoulder width). I thought it'd make it a lot more difficult, and it made me sit even deeper than before, but heel drive in my shoes kicked ass enough to mostly negate the issue.

High Bar Olympic Squats

72.5x5
    90x5
    107.5x5
    127.5x5
    145x4

Missed the last rep on 145, still happy though 'cause I changed up my technique and didn't expect much.

Military Press

37.5x5
    47.5x5
    55x5
    65x5
    75x4

New PB on the presses! Didn't have a 5th in me unfortunately. Will be pressing 77.5KG on Saturday, 80 is only around the corner now!

Pendlay Rows

50x5
    62.5x5
    75x5
    87.5x5
    100x5

Hang Cleans

60x5
    70x5
    85x3

Reset each time on the 85s so I could hook grip it. I'm quite happy with these.

Overall, I'm very happy my knee isn't interfering with my training! It feels **** when I walk though.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon your pain is from not getting your knees far enough out for a wider stance.

ReputationRep:
    or overly gymnastic sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I reckon your pain is from not getting your knees far enough out for a wider stance.
    That would make sense. I guess I tried to avoid the most obvious explanation - me being **** at squatting. BTW, are you up for sorting out a uni strength/lifting soc for next year? I'm told it involves filling a form in, getting a few signatures and then being interviewed by the SU about the society's aims.

(Original post by Bear Force One FTW)
    or overly gymnastic sex
    Haha, I wouldn't have ruled this out but my girlfriend went home last Wednesday so it's only been a one-man tug-of-war since then! I'm thinking about doing that Extreme Male Beauty enlargement technique actually; sounds like a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Sure why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Sure why not?
    Good stuff, free next week? Up for training at the uni gym too?

Thursday

Squats

72.5x5
    90x5
    107.5x5
    107.5x5

Bench Press

60x5
    72.5x5
    85x5
    97.5x5

All time PB.

Deadlifts

102.5x5
    125x5
    145x5
    167.5x5

ReputationRep:
    Yeah man, we're training tomorrow, after that I'm not sure. Probably Sunday Monday Wed Friday for me.

ReputationRep:
    awesome bench and deadlift

5 x 5 on deadlifts, 25 reps on 167? that would leave my back destroyed :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bear Force One FTW)
    awesome bench and deadlift

5 x 5 on deadlifts, 25 reps on 167? that would leave my back destroyed :eek:
    If you cant recognise a decimal point by now ur ****** for chemistry mate

ReputationRep:
    lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.