The Student Room Group

Might Fail First Year - Advice Needed

I'm on my last placement and there's no way I'm going to get all my proficiencies (PARE Document) done on time. I've tried emailing the relevant staff about what happens if I don't, but I can't get an answer. Has anybody been through this or know someone that has? Will I get an extra placement to finish it/have to resit the year/get kicked off? I'm very worried.

Thanks in advance
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Aaronx99
I'm on my last placement and there's no way I'm going to get all my proficiencies (PARE Document) done on time. I've tried emailing the relevant staff about what happens if I don't, but I can't get an answer. Has anybody been through this or know someone that has? Will I get an extra placement to finish it/have to resit the year/get kicked off? I'm very worried.

Thanks in advance

@Emily_B. Any further advice on this one.
You do have to have everything completed by the time you sit your final exams 😂😂 as per NMC guidelines.

You'll need to try your upmost best to get things completed as otherwise you'll not pass..

At worse if you fail your placement then you can resit it ( depending on how many weeks you are doing on your current placement ) or resit your 1st year again. This will obviously have a impact on when you will eventually qualify as a nurse if you have to repeat the whole year again. You could have to fit it into next academic year.

You won't be kicked out of the course okay 😉😉 you would have to fail things again and even again depending on how many times your university gives you to resit any placements or essays or exams and assignment's.

You need to keep trying to get hold of your relevant staff at the university especially your university course leader to ask them. Why can't you not get hold of anyone as they should be in unless the person is on holiday at present.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, you have to achieve every single proficiency by the end of the year.

What happens depends on the university. You may have to go into retrieval and do an extra placement; you may have to repeat the year... only the university has the answer to this.
Reply 3
Original post by Tracey_W
@Emily_B. Any further advice on this one.
You do have to have everything completed by the time you sit your final exams 😂😂 as per NMC guidelines.

You'll need to try your upmost best to get things completed as otherwise you'll not pass..

At worse if you fail your placement then you can resit it ( depending on how many weeks you are doing on your current placement ) or resit your 1st year again. This will obviously have a impact on when you will eventually qualify as a nurse if you have to repeat the whole year again. You could have to fit it into next academic year.

You won't be kicked out of the course okay 😉😉 you would have to fail things again and even again depending on how many times your university gives you to resit any placements or essays or exams and assignment's.

You need to keep trying to get hold of your relevant staff at the university especially your university course leader to ask them. Why can't you not get hold of anyone as they should be in unless the person is on holiday at present.

My whole second placement was wasted as I was off sick with covid for a while, and was unable to get my assessor to sit down with me when I actualy was in.

I've had replies from uni staff but I feel my main question has been avoided. They just won't tell me what the contingencie plan is.

It's not ideal, but I'd be happy to redo a placement or even the whole year. It's just being kicked out that I'm worried about. I'm at UCLan if that means anything.
Original post by Emily_B
Unfortunately, you have to achieve every single proficiency by the end of the year.

What happens depends on the university. You may have to go into retrieval and do an extra placement; you may have to repeat the year... only the university has the answer to this.

My whole second placement was wasted as I was off sick with covid for a while, and was unable to get my assessor to sit down with me when I actualy was in.

I've had replies from uni staff but I feel my main question has been avoided. They just won't tell me what the contingencie plan is.

It's not ideal, but I'd be happy to redo a placement or even the whole year. It's just being kicked out that I'm worried about. I'm at UCLan if that means anything.

As Emily has said it depends on what your university says about things 😃

With you being of sick it definitely means you'll have lost a lot of hours for this year which does requires to be completed before able to go onto your second year of nursing, you do have to make sure you get your assessor or ward manager/ sister to discuss with you what you have done. But get a hold of your university course leader and sort things out asap so that you know what is happening regarding everything.

Unfortunately I am a Scottish registered midwife and a mentor/ supervisor to students as well.

I have heard of university of Central Lancashire but each university in the country decides what action to take themselves.
Original post by Tracey_W
As Emily has said it depends on what your university says about things 😃

With you being of sick it definitely means you'll have lost a lot of hours for this year which does requires to be completed before able to go onto your second year of nursing, you do have to make sure you get your assessor or ward manager/ sister to discuss with you what you have done. But get a hold of your university course leader and sort things out asap so that you know what is happening regarding everything.

Unfortunately I am a Scottish registered midwife and a mentor/ supervisor to students as well.

I have heard of university of Central Lancashire but each university in the country decides what action to take themselves.

Out of curiosity, where requires students to do a certain number of hours each year to progress to the next? I certainly didn't have that issue, and none of my students have (although the result of lost hours means more to catch up on.... I've known people go into retrieval purely for missed hours)

Thanks in advance

I’m going through this at the minute, I’m In children’s nursing and I got told I would have to redo the module with the placement document in it but wouldn’t progress until I had passed that so it would be repeating a year but only one module
Reply 7
Original post by Rugbygirl97
I’m going through this at the minute, I’m In children’s nursing and I got told I would have to redo the module with the placement document in it but wouldn’t progress until I had passed that so it would be repeating a year but only one module

I have now been told the same thing. Instead of going into year 2, I would repeat the module next year as a part time student.
Yeah I’m just worried about finance as I already have booked private student accommodation and I have phone bills to pay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending