The Student Room Group

Parking at uni

i am looking at uni at the moment to see if it’s an option i want to go through with. currently i’m looking Essex, kingston, south hampton and bath spa. i’m dyslexic so am struggling to read all the info on the websites and was wondering if anyone would be able to let me know about parking at these university’s, if it’s possible on campus aswell as at the accommodation and how much it will cost me because it will make life so much easier as it will take me about 3-5 different trains to them. thanks
Hi @cfry

Looking at the different University websites they seem to operate in slightly different ways around bringing your car onto campus, with Kingston and Bath Spa having parking options and Essex and Southampton having limited permits for those with medical needs.

Essex and Southampton advise that to park you would need a permit however these will only be given to students with medical needs and requirements and proof would need to be provided.

Kingston does offer Student car parking to students living in halls and I have put the link to some information here.

Bath Spa advises that it offers car parking and you are able to bring your car but having a permit is not a guarantee of a parking space and it is first come first served with the T&Cs here

If you are finding it difficult to take in all the information from the websites it may be worth calling the Universities to explain your situation and how long it would take on public transport and see what they are able to advise you.

Hope this helps

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cfry
i am looking at uni at the moment to see if it’s an option i want to go through with. currently i’m looking Essex, kingston, south hampton and bath spa. i’m dyslexic so am struggling to read all the info on the websites and was wondering if anyone would be able to let me know about parking at these university’s, if it’s possible on campus aswell as at the accommodation and how much it will cost me because it will make life so much easier as it will take me about 3-5 different trains to them. thanks

Hi @cfry

I do not drive so don't have first-hand experience with parking on campus but I know it is quite limited. However, depending on what degree you do, you may find that you're not on campus every day so may be able to pay to park in a nearby car park (in the city centre or elsewhere) and catch a bus to the campus itself?

If not, many Halls accommodations, if you are looking to stay there, have, albeit limited, parking options and are a short walk from campus. Similarly, many private accommodations near campus have driveways for you to park a car if you choose to live there.

I hope this helps but feel free to ask any other questions. Another ambassador/student who drives may be able to share some first-hand experience of parking on campus too. :smile:

Daisy (a third-year History ambassador) :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest