The Student Room Group

Help with UCAS application?! Diversity and inclusion - Have you ever been in care?

Hi,
I'm currently filling out my UCAS application and I don't know whether to tick the box asking 'Have you ever been in care?' in the diversity and inclusion section/

From the age of 16-18 I was in a secure unit away from home sectioned under the mental health act.
Different sources seem to define public care differently, however the NSPCC states that:
"A child who has been in the care of their local authority for more than 24 hours is known as a looked after child. Looked after children are also often referred to as children in care, a term which many children and young people prefer.
Each UK nation has a slightly different definition of a looked after child and follows its own legislation, policy and guidance. But in general, looked after children are:
- living with foster parents
- living in a residential children's home or
- living in residential settings like schools or secure units."

Would I therefore count as 'care experienced'?

I've contacted multiple charities and organisations, as well as university support services but none have given me a clear answer. Hopefully someone on here has been in a similar situation and can give me some guidance?

I don't want to say yes and then be rejected if UCAS do not consider me to be care experienced, but I also don't want to miss out on contextual offers and support that could be available to me.

Thanks!
No

This question isn’t asking about health care
The NSPCC guidance mentions secure units, which I was in. I did also have input from social care so didn't know if this would qualify. Thanks though. (Original post by PQ)No

This question isn’t asking about health care

The
Hi,

I'm currently filling out my UCAS application and I don't know whether to tick the box asking 'Have you ever been in care?' in the diversity and inclusion section/

From the age of 16-18 I was in a secure unit away from home sectioned under the mental health act.

Different sources seem to define public care differently, however the NSPCC states that:

"A child who has been in the care of their local authority for more than 24 hours is known as a looked after child. Looked after children are also often referred to as children in care, a term which many children and young people prefer.

Each UK nation has a slightly different definition of a looked after child and follows its own legislation, policy and guidance. But in general, looked after children are:

- living with foster parents

- living in a residential children's home or

- living in residential settings like schools or secure units."

Would I therefore count as 'care experienced'?

I've contacted multiple charities and organisations, as well as university support services but none have given me a clear answer. Hopefully someone on here has been in a similar situation and can give me some guidance?

I don't want to say yes and then be rejected if UCAS do not consider me to be care experienced, but I also don't want to miss out on contextual offers and support that could be available to me.
The secure units the NSPCC are talking about are youth offender related units not healthcare units.
You were effectively 'in hospital' not in local-authority care.

Your referee should mention this in your reference - ie. disrupted education - and it may be worth you completing an extenuating circumstances form (example - https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/your-application/extenuating-circumstances/) for any extra consideration.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending