The Student Room Group

A university degree is needed to get a good job?

What are your guys opinion on this?

Me personally i agree because a university degree opens doors to so many job opportunities after you finish your degree.
@thrivingfrog @Noble.x @TriplexA @mari_101 @-Himaya-
@IhaveNothingToDo @MagicKats @londonmyst
@rosy_posy @McGinger @Muttley79
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
here to see the responses.
Reply 2
Depends on what you think a good job is.

My mate's a gas engineer on 70k a year but he didn't get a degree.
I don't think it's needed for all 'good' jobs, but I do think it would help get you into starting roles at soke companies. If you're starting your own business/ are self employed it obviously makes no difference.
you can get good jobs without a degree. depending on what field you want to go into it might help or it might be a waste of time. theres a lot of factors
I'm studying nursing, so I definitely need a degree for my job, but there's loads of jobs out there that don't require a degree at all, and you can get into straight from school, and they are considered 'good jobs'.
No I don't believe you need a degree - lots of successful people haven't got degrees.

However it may help or be necessary for you to get on the career path you want.
Mostly disagree. You can get into many respected fields through apprenticeships, such as Pharmacy and Engineering.
It's dependent on what 'good job' you want. Some need degrees, some don't
i agree and disagree bcs uni does mean the chances of getting a good job is high, but there are also apprenticeships that can get you jobs that are decent as well
Not anymore. A university degree acts as a shortcut to a good job but you still got other options.
i dont think its necessary but it helps
Depends on the field , but can be quite useful
Not necessarily - there are many routes to professional occupations without a degree eg apprenticeships in quantity surveying, engineering, accounting, actuarial work. You would earn similar to a graduate but would be at the same rank much quicker than going to uni plus wouldn't accumulate all the debt. I've seen plenty of apprenticeships in the civil service offering starting salaries of 25k, when I was applying for grad schemes in my field (recently) the most companies were offering me were 21k.
Original post by sabana
Not necessarily - there are many routes to professional occupations without a degree eg apprenticeships in quantity surveying, engineering, accounting, actuarial work. You would earn similar to a graduate but would be at the same rank much quicker than going to uni plus wouldn't accumulate all the debt. I've seen plenty of apprenticeships in the civil service offering starting salaries of 25k, when I was applying for grad schemes in my field (recently) the most companies were offering me were 21k.

some are degree apprenticeships so to stay in the job you do actually need to be studying/have a degree...
Reply 15
Nah. It's not necessary. I don't even need a degree apprenticeship for a good job
Every bartender and coffee shop worker need a degree debt now day.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by sophie hart
What are your guys opinion on this?

Me personally i agree because a university degree opens doors to so many job opportunities after you finish your degree.
@thrivingfrog @Noble.x @TriplexA @mari_101 @-Himaya-
@IhaveNothingToDo @MagicKats @londonmyst
@rosy_posy @McGinger @Muttley79

I don’t agree with the post title "A university degree is needed to get a good job” because there are some very good jobs that don’t need a university degree like an airline pilot or nuclear technician but I do agree a degree does open alot of doors but it’s not the only route just look at some of these.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 18
Recently attended a meeting with head of recruitment for UK and Europe for Siemens. For many of their roles, they now put more emphasis on degree apprenticeships than pure graduates. Having a degree for a technical job merely states you can sit an exam whereas employers are primarily looking for experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending