The Student Room Group

starting uni and nervous about making friends

How easy or difficult is it to make friends at uni? I’ll be living at home would that make it difficult for me to make friends? Also I’ve heard there’s a freshers week, is this when people start making friends or there will b more opportunities to do so?
So commenting to uni does put you in a disadvantage when it comes to your social life however as long as you know what you’re looking for and you’re friendly and confident, making friends shouldn’t be too difficult
Original post by Anonymous
How easy or difficult is it to make friends at uni? I’ll be living at home would that make it difficult for me to make friends? Also I’ve heard there’s a freshers week, is this when people start making friends or there will b more opportunities to do so?

Living at home won't stop you making friends, just make sure you join group chats for your course, and you can start chatting with people on your course before you meet them, sit with people during lectures, eat lunch together and take breaks with other people.
Freshers week is mostly for going out and things like that, but you can make friends throughout your degree, there isn't a deadline for making friends :smile:
Just put yourself out there, join societies and sports clubs you like and you should be able to meet people and make some friends x

Hiya

I've lived out as well during my first year and I'd say you have to put in more effort than the students who live in uni halls to start friendships. This is mostly in terms of commuting to events as I found myself slacking off at the thought of having to travel back and forth. That was mainly because I'm an introvert so wasn't really interested in meeting new people but still managed to make friends. Yes people do start making friends during freshers week so it's an amazing opportunity to meet with other freshers but joining clubs, societies or playing sports can also be really really helpful :smile:

-Himieka
Hi. :hello:

This is the same thought that I had as I travelled to Uni and was worried not staying on campus and with other students would disadvantage me from making friends. However, there are so many ways to make friends that it really didn’t impact me at all.

The easiest way I think anyone finds to make friends is to join a society and these all generally have stalls out during fresher’s week for you to go and meet them and to find out more about them. Usually, there is a broad range so you will find a few that you like the look of. The reason it is easier to make friends this way is as they have the same interests as yourself and so you are more likely to find others to get along with.

You could also become more involved in your course such as a course rep and this will give you the opportunity to interact more with your course peers and get to know them. This is a great way to mingle with others and also find people on your course that you could work or study with.

The Uni will also likely hold events at the start of term to welcome new students such as lunches, activities and events that will help to make and meet new friends. Freshers can be a little overwhelming with the atmosphere and all the information to take in so it is always worth looking at some other social events the Uni is holding to help people get to know each other.

I believe having the approach and confidence to start a conversation with someone can really help in meeting new people but I don’t think travelling to Uni will make too much of a difference and I am sure you will meet lots of people at freshers and beyond.

Wishing you a great and fun first year

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep

Hi there,

I lived at home for my first year of university and made plenty of friends during that year. You will have plenty of opportunities to meet new people, be it in your course or the societies/activities you participate in. Please also remember that it's your first year of uni and almost everyone else is the same so everyone is as eager as you to get to know new people. I smiled at one girl from my first lecture and we are now really good friend :smile:

Enjoy your time at university and best of luck!

Lily (Lancaster Uni Student Ambassador)

Hey!

I personally think making friends at uni is rather easy because you have the opportunity to meet soo many different people so you have a good chance of finding people who are "Your people". Living at home might mean it takes a little more effort as you will see people less but there's still plenty of opportunities that will enable you to meet people and you can always plan to meet up with them outside of lecture time etc!

Freshers is the first week and provides opportunities to meet lots of people and hopefully make people feel more settled about uni! During the week the uni will organise lots of different activities in which people can take part in. For example, from my experience there was taster sessions for some of the sporting societies so you can meet people with a similar interest to you. Freshers is definitely not the only opportunity there is to make friends! I met most my close friends after freshers week and sometimes the people you hang round with during freshers you don't always stay close mates with them!

Hope this helps a bit,
Abby, University of Chichester Student Rep First Year Student Ambassador
People can make friends during freshers week, but it is not the only time to do so. You can make friends in societies, on your course, through events run by the uni/the students union, and you can make friends with those you live with.

A good thing to do is to invite/go with flat mates to freshers events, to the freebie fairs etc. It's a good way to get to know each other and have fun in a non-alcoholic environment without any potential awkwardness.

When freshers week is approaching, look online for your universities freshers week, they should have a list of events lined up, so you can see in advance which ones you want to go to and plan accordingly! Societies will also be hosting taster sessions, these are a lot of fun to get involved in, meet new people, and find societies you want to join long term.

On your course, join or make a group chat, this is a great way to get to know people, to talk to them pressure free, and is a way to help and support one another. Also, sit with different people for the first week during lectures/seminars, so you get to know everyone, and can find out who you get along with most. Don't feel scared about who to sit with for lunch, if you see some people from your course, just ask to sit with them.

Basically, just make the most out of your time at university by not being worried to put yourself out there :smile:

I hope this helps.

- Rosie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending