Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else feel insulted by the BBC news last night? Watch

ReputationRep:
    That is quite ridiculous. OK, some young people may not know what the armistice is, or the exact year the war started, but I bet they had to search hard to find someone who didn't know why we wear poppies. (sp?) I was taught about the wars many times throughout primary and secondary school, I don't think we need more education about them.

ReputationRep:
    I see more poppies worn by school kids than the general population. I can't imagine theres may schools out there that don't have kids going round selling them, or don't even have the 2 mins silence, what on earth do they think its for?

ReputationRep:
    I was never taught anything in school about the World Wars. My gran has told me a lot about WWII though.

ReputationRep:
    Well that is general knowledge of the average young person. Get off your bloody TSR high horse.

ReputationRep:
    Ill admit that I was very niave when it came to the war, since I dropped history in year 9. But since I read Bird Song earlier this year -brilliant novel READ IT!- ive been trying to brush up on my knowledge through literature and documentaries. And although i dont know all the facts, I know what these men and women went through and what they have done for us. And that, i think, is whats important!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people are clueless about history. When they did a poll a while ago, many people thought Sherlock Holmes was real but Ghandi was fictional. History at GCSE isn't cumpulsory, but I'll agree that a foundation knowledge of both World Wars should be.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because some of the people on here represent the most clever in the United Kingdom.

I could bet you many of the people from my town, in the North-Westly town of Bolton lack this sort of infomation.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that the BBC has insulted the young population but it does highlight the problem of history and education, we learn nothing really about our great and glorious history. In my opinion everyone should learn about the developing of the Empire right to contemporary issues.

ReputationRep:
    I think its good that they're exposing the fact that not many young people know why we even wear a poppy.
    I think its important to increase education about it this time of year. Not just in a history lesson. Something needs to be done about it, some of my friends dont have a clue why we do it.
    I dont feel insulted by it, I'm just a bit dissapointed more people our age dont know but more importantly dont care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfm89)
    I see more poppies worn by school kids than the general population. I can't imagine theres may schools out there that don't have kids going round selling them, or don't even have the 2 mins silence, what on earth do they think its for?
    Most of them will just know that its a charity, something to do with the war and that its respectful to wear one, I bet you if you asked why we wear them and why it is a poppy we wear, not many of them will know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    It's baised. Well, it's not particularly -- but that's the right word. :yep:
    Baised on what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01rudde)
    I do think it isn't taught very well - In my experience anyway. We were never told anything about WW1, although we did buy poppies and have a minutes silence. It was WW2 that was really focused on in my primary school...and secondary school come to think of it.
    that's more than we got. we were meant to do both WW's in year 9, but our teacher spent so long teaching WW2 that we didn't have time for WW1, which i find odd, because i found out that WW2 basically started because of WW1. but i seriously couldn't answer those questions either. though i wouldn't be stupid enough to go on national television and show the whole country that.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised how widespread that level of ignorance is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prudy)
    Baised on what?
    Damn me, even I can't get it right. Well done for picking me up though.

Of course the correct word is biased. And the BBC aren't necessarily it!

ReputationRep:
    You've only just noticed? The BBC & several newspapers have been consistently creating news stories out of thin air, which criticize the younger generation, for years.

Supply & demand. Most people want to hear about how terrible we are, so the media duly creates a news story to support this. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If they haven't been taught about it at school then how are they meant to know!

ReputationRep:
    Just watched it. I am a little offended by it, to be honest. If they wanted to highlight that there was a problem they could have shown those two and made a point about it, but there was no represantion at all of the other young people that might know one or two things about the war. Shocking, though, their lack of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    They didn't know when the WWI started or what? As I didn't watch it. If they don't know, then they really have to educate them self. Started 18 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    I agree that the BBC has insulted the young population but it does highlight the problem of history and education, we learn nothing really about our great and glorious history. In my opinion everyone should learn about the developing of the Empire right to contemporary issues.
    So as to equip the adults of the future with empire-building skills?

Edit: People need to stop being so easily offended IMO. If you know you're not like that, you don't listen to the BBC when they try to tell you that you are.

ReputationRep:
    I actually found the 1st and 2nd world wars the most interesting thing to learn about in history (I took it up to GCSE), and like to read a lot of books from those eras (like a previous person said, Birdsong is amazing). In my secondary school and also at sixth form there was a lot of emphasis on the wars, it's terrible that there are people who don't even know the basic facts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.