The Student Room Group

Questions on the Buddha's statue

When I looked around I definitely read things that made more sence then others but not necessarily a solid answer.
-why does the buddha have long ears
-why does the buddha have coils in his hair
-what race is the buddha
-why doesnt buddha statues show them with facial hair

I read a few different reasons why the buddha has long ears and it seems it depends on which culture you look at for the beliefs why he had long ears. China(or in that general area) said ears grow for the long life. It's also said in India where he was a prince and had his rich life before becoming buddha. That putting heavy jewelry on the ears indicates being rich and eventually buddha took out the jewelry but the stretched ears were a result of before.

While looking up why the buddha had coils in his hair I saw many people claiming the coils were naturally like that beacuse hes black and black hair is typically curly. Well I dont think the buddha was black beacuse it seems there wouldnt be many blacks at the time and a few google searches say Indians have a variety of hair types.
Or I've read stories about snails crawling on his head
So that made me wonder if anyone actually remembers what race he could have been.
For the buddha not having facial hair I think its related to be considered part of something to cut it off but I dont actually know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending