Turn on thread page Beta

Q: Is the following statement true or false? If A^3 = I_n then det(A) = 1.

My first instinct would be to say it is false, as proofs with determinants are *******s, but I checked for a general 2x2 matrix and it was true there, so I guess it may be true. Can anybody give a hint as to how to approach the problem? Unless I have forgotten something, the usual way of defining a determinant is \displaystyle det(A) = \sum_{\sigma \in S_n} sgn(\sigma ) \prod^{n}_{i=1} A_{i, \sigma (i)} , but I can't see how that will equal one when A^3 = I_n ? Is there a simpler way, or do I need to try and work with that beast?

ReputationRep:
    Well, det(A^3) = [det(A)]^3

A^3 = I_n => [det(A)]^3 = det(I_n) = 1...

Capiche?

(Original post by JohnnySPal)
    Well, det(A^3) = [det(A)]^3
    Oops. That identity slipped my mind, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you can't have det A = e^{2\pi i / 3}, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I don't see why you can't have det A = e^{2\pi i / 3}, however.
    Yeah, that's true. I didn't even spot that - whenever I see "Linear Algebra" I just assume that all the matrices will be nice and real. Ceratinly if A is real then it must have determinant 1.

Good luck finding a counter-example over \mathbb{C} :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly hard. There's a 1x1 matrix that springs to mind...

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly hard. There's a 1x1 matrix that springs to mind...
    You are such a **** :p:

Love you really xx

Hmm, Dave has thrown his spanner and now I'm confused. I have A as a matrix over a field \mathbb{K} containing 1/2, but I thought det(AB) = det(A)det(B) was true for all A,B over an arbitrary field. What's up?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what you're asking. If A is the 1x1 matrix \Big( e^{2\pi i /3} \Big), then det A = e^{2\pi i /3} and A^3 = I, but we never break the det(AB) = det A det B rule (which is always true, as you say).

Edit: this may be clearer. It is completely true that if A^3 = 1, then det(A^3) = 1 and so det(A)^3 = 1. But over a complex field, you can't deduce from X^3 = 1 that X = 1, it might be one of the other complex cube roots of unity.

Oh right. My "proof" was: det(A^3) = (det(A))^3 \Rightarrow (det(A))^3 = 1 \Rightarrow det(A) = 1 , but of course z^3 = 1 has complex solutions other than 1. I wonder if that was actually the intention of the problem-setter or not, but it's a nice spot. :dontknow:

Next question I'm having trouble with: Let T:V->V be a linear map with dim(V) = n, T^n = 0, and let there exist a vector v \in V such that T^{n-1}(v) = 0_V. My object is to show that v, T(v), T^2(v), ..., T^{n-1}(v) are linearly independent, and that the nullity is 1.

I can't see how to get at the problem. I can see that this sequence of vectors will be a basis of V, and that T^n(v) = 0 \Rightarrow T(T^{n-1}(v)) = 0, so for all v in V, T(T^{n-1}(v)) = 0, and there exists v such that T^{n-1}(v) = 0, but I'm not sure how to put this together. Any hints?

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean T^(n-1)(v) is not zero?

Do you mean T^(n-1)(v) is not zero?
    No. It's P7 here in case I've made a mistake in the question (but I don't think I have): http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masdf/alg1/p1.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think the question is wrong. Mainly because the existence of a v with T^{n-1}(v)\neq 0 is what "makes sense" if you know what the question is getting at.

But as a clincher, if T^(n-1)(v) = 0, then the question is claiming that a set of vectors including the zero vector is linearly indepedent, which is clearly nonsense.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    That question's just wrong, surely? Let V = R^7, T(v) = 0 for all v. Then T^7 = 0, and there exists v such that T^6(v) = 0, but T(v) and T^2(v) aren't linearly independent. I think it should be T^(n-1)(v) =/= 0 too.

Edit: beaten.

Thanks for the correction, guys. However, I still can't find what kind of thing I should be doing to answer the corrected question. :blushing: Any hints?

ReputationRep:
    Well, suppose v, T(v), T^2(v),...,T^n-1(v) isn't a basis. Then we can find a0,a1,...,a_n-1 not all zero with \sum_0^{n-1} a_k T^k(v) = 0. Now think about what happens if you apply a suitable power of T to that equation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    No. It's P7 here in case I've made a mistake in the question (but I don't think I have): http://www.warwick.ac.uk/~masdf/alg1/p1.pdf
    Woah even Dmitri's Algebra 1 assignments look scary. Be glad you didn't have him for Algebra 2. It was basically a disaster for our year.

I might actually have answers to some of these problems. It depends on whether he's changed the sheets much since Derek Holt set them for us a couple of years ago.

Well, suppose v, T(v), T^2(v),...,T^n-1(v) isn't a basis. Then we can find a0,a1,...,a_n-1 not all zero with \sum_0^{n-1} a_k T^k(v) = 0. Now think about what happens if you apply a suitable power of T to that equation...
    So can I say
    \sum_0 ^{n-1} a_k T^k(v) = 0 \Rightarrow T^{n-1} (\sum_0 ^{n-1} a_k T^k(v)) = T^{n-1}(0) = 0
    \Rightarrow \alpha _0 T^{n-1}(v) = 0 , which contradicts our assumption that there exists a v such that T^{n-1}(v) \neq 0 and a_0 \neq 0, therefore our sequence v, T(v),...,T^{n-1}(v) is a basis?

(Original post by JohnnySPal)
    I might actually have answers to some of these problems. It depends on whether he's changed the sheets much since Derek Holt set them for us a couple of years ago.
    I don't think they've been changed much, if at all. The solutions to a fair few of the problems are online, but unsurprisingly there was no solution to the dodgy question!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 26, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.