Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    yeah maybe if we put cameras in every house incase everyone is a rapist/murderer
    Lol, how on earth does that follow at all?

ReputationRep:
    this isnt about taking your anger out cuz a child wont stop crying. the man did this cuz he was a sadist. he had previously tortured animals and was a fan of hitler.

why arent these people identified and their names and faces shown to teh public? their not children and the lodger has been shown, so have the social workers n doctors. i dont see why they arent. i hope they get so much **** in prison but they probably wont cuz no one will no who they r. i want them to fear for their safety like that little boy did. people of lower crimes have been shown to the public and got threats in public so why should those even more evil get off

ReputationRep:
    How disturbing is it that in todays society when an old man gets an abusive phone call by Ross /Brand (which was wrong too btw) there are resignations and soul searching from the BBC.But when a child gets progessively battered to death during a period when there were no less than sixty visits from social workers, Police ,Health visitors the idiot witch in charge of Haringey 'social services' says there will be no resignations and she certainly will not go.. How arrogant is she?

In America they now award criminal charges of child neglect to social workers involved in similar cases. Perhaps it's time we went down that route.Maybe if a few do hard time in cells than social workers and others involved in protecting children might give a ****. We also need to look at who we recruit into social work. I have heard it said that social workers are afraid to intervene with certain families because of intimidation . If that is the case perhaps we should focus on recruiting people with life experience who are less likely to have people pull a fast one on them. ( the poor mites mother apparently covered up his bruises with chocolate). Not people with a simple professional qualification and limited idea of what life is like.

Finally the scum who do this will be on the numbers.But hopefully the screws turn a blind eye like social services have done and real justice can be meted out. All should be sterilised too. Because lets face it they will get out at some point (no death penalty sadly) and we need to do our utmost to make sure they don't breed.

ReputationRep:
    This story has affected me so much, I feel so sorry for the little boy.
    How could anyone do such a thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angrybanana)
    I read more on this story on another website and i wish I hadn't because I feel physically sick now. No news story has ever had that effect on me before.
    Not even the Rwandan genocide? Or ethnic cleansing in Bosnia? What about the stories of female children in China killed by their parents as a result of the one-child policy?

I think what's happened is disgusting and hope the people responsible spend a long, long, long time in prison. However, there seems to be quite a lot of melodrama on here. Taking just one example, thousands of children had their limbs cut off using machetes, were raped and later murdered Rwanda. However, the media and Western governments paid very little attention to these events during the actual process or after. Very few of the genocidaires have been bought to justice and the international community's humanitarian efforts (and attempts to hold the guilty accountable) in the aftermath were ramshackle at best.

What I'm trying to say is that as appalling and terrible as this incident is, the British public shouldn't be lulled into thinking that this degree of brutality is unprecedented. I fear we'll have another 'Maddie' style story, where one child's death gains disproportional attention in the media. Each day, thousands of children across the world face a torturous and unecessary death and we would do well to remember all of them. I hope Baby P's death reminds people of *all* the children suffering out there.

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone killing their kids lately? There's been two things on the news this week that's stuck in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puddlove)
    Why is everyone killing their kids lately? There's been two things on the news this week that's stuck in my mind.
    http://www.gendercide.org/case_infanticide.html It's not a phenomenon that's been taking place 'lately'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Not even the Rwandan genocide? Or ethnic cleansing in Bosnia? What about the stories of female children in China killed by their parents as a result of the one-child policy?

I think what's happened is disgusting and hope the people responsible spend a long, long, long time in prison. However, there seems to be quite a lot of melodrama on here. Taking just one example, thousands of children had their limbs cut off using machetes, were raped and later murdered Rwanda. However, the media and Western governments paid very little attention to these events during the actual process or after. Very few of the genocidaires have been bought to justice and the international community's humanitarian efforts (and attempts to hold the guilty accountable) in the aftermath were ramshackle at best.

What I'm trying to say is that as appalling and terrible as this incident is, the British public shouldn't be lulled into thinking that this degree of brutality is unprecedented. I fear we'll have another 'Maddie' style story, where one child's death gains disproportional attention in the media. Each day, thousands of children across the world face a torturous and unecessary death and we would do well to remember all of them. I hope Baby P's death reminds people of *all* the children suffering out there.
    No one is saying that children aren't dying all the time, but this case DOES stand out and is worthy of a mention for a number of reasons. First of all, this has sparked particular outrage because it has happened in this country where there are so many measures that have been taken place to ensure child welfare (social services, etc.). Secondly, I think that there are not many cases (and I'm very glad of it) that a BABY is not just killed but actually tortured to death in the ways that he was by his family members. I'm sorry but that does seem worthy of an outcry.

This isn't "just one child's death", it is a very clear and very distressing example of a failing child welfare system in the UK and it does deserve a mention. The argument should be "mention other children too", not "don't mention any at all".

ReputationRep:
    This has disturbed me more, it's true, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not about just the killing that is shocking, it's about who is killed, in what system, by who, and in what way.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gendercide.org/case_infanticide.html It's not a phenomenon that's been taking place 'lately'.
    In this country it is actually a "lately" phenomenon, and it is especially if we are considering baby torture rather than baby murder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    This has disturbed me more, it's true, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not about just the killing that is shocking, it's about who is killed, in what system, by who, and in what way.
    I find this kind of thing more disturbing and I think anyone who's reacted hysterically on this thread over one child ought to put their money where their mouth is: http://www.steppingstonesnigeria.org/node/18

ReputationRep:
    Its disgusting, it makes me angry. That poor baby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    I find this kind of thing more disturbing and I think anyone who's reacted hysterically on this thread over one child ought to put their money where their mouth is: http://www.steppingstonesnigeria.org/node/18
    It's not "over one child", it's the fact that someone could be so sick and twisted to torture their own child to death. It's beyond comprehension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    It's not "over one child", it's the fact that someone could be so sick and twisted to torture their own child to death. It's beyond comprehension.
    i can comprehend people being that evil. it's the catalogue of incompetence which is more worrying.

ReputationRep:
    Dont blame social services or health visitors, kids. It was ultimately the hopsitals fault. Plus, when the social workers went round the parents- specifically the mum, disguised all the problems. Although you would expect the social worker to have spotted something out of the ordinary, I know for sure a health visitor would have had all the clothes off that baby and looked at every bruise on them
    In the end though, its very hard to stop people from commiting such crimes, its even hard to get the parents away from the children they are abusing as the tend to go into 'voluntary' care where the mum still looks after the kid in a care home. Its most liekly that the paediatrician's head will roll (which it should for their incompetence) but it would be a shame if the area gets reassessed as all the blame will go on the social workers, which they do not need! Its like blaming the police for every crime that happens, they cannot all be prevented!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    No one is saying that children aren't dying all the time, but this case DOES stand out and is worthy of a mention for a number of reasons. First of all, this has sparked particular outrage because it has happened in this country where there are so many measures that have been taken place to ensure child welfare (social services, etc.). Secondly, I think that there are not many cases (and I'm very glad of it) that a BABY is not just killed but actually tortured to death in the ways that he was by his family members. I'm sorry but that does seem worthy of an outcry.

This isn't "just one child's death", it is a very clear and very distressing example of a failing child welfare system in the UK and it does deserve a mention. The argument should be "mention other children too", not "don't mention any at all".
    Absolutely.
    This is a case that need highlighting because it is a rarity in our culture. It is showing that the systems currently in place need surveying and improving. A lot of the issue is the fact that it is the same council responsible for a hideous abuse case - clearly they need to do something about this.
    Death is intrinsically a bad thing - it's sad, and has negative impacts on so many people. But this story deserves to be in the spotlight, because it is bringing forward issues of child abuse and neglect, something that people and the Government clearly need to be aware of.

ReputationRep:
    WHY....why would anyone do that to a child, their own child, I am actually shocked, and Im not usually one that is easily shocked, but seriously, WHY, ******* retarded ***** of a mother makes me wanna punch something repeatedly, preferably her face.

She should be sentenced to death. I know the death penalty is no longer in effect, but there are exceptions for near enough everything, lets make one for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by À la mode)
    Absolutely.
    This is a case that need highlighting because it is a rarity in our culture.
    not really. kids die all the time from abuse in this country, as do adults at the hands of domestic violence. id say it was a fairly large problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vraz)
    WHY....why would anyone do that to a child, their own child, I am actually shocked, and Im not usually one that is easily shocked, but seriously, WHY, ******* retarded ***** of a mother makes me wanna punch something repeatedly, preferably her face.

She should be sentenced to death. I know the death penalty is no longer in effect, but there are exceptions for near enough everything, lets make one for this.
    are you honestly that shocked? am i the only person who sees humanity for what it is? people do hideous things to their kids, they always have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by À la mode)
    Absolutely.
    This is a case that need highlighting because it is a rarity in our culture.
    Our amazing culture that sees one child killed at the hands of their parent every 10 days? And more than half other non-convicted cases the parent is the principle suspect? Or is it the culture that sees 36% of rapes recorded by police happening to girls under the age of 16?

Cases like this are not a rarity. They just seem like that to you, and too much of the public, because we only choose to sit up and pay attention when the media force it down our throats.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.