The Student Room Group

Do you think air conditioner is needed in UK?and do you have an air conditioner?

I don’t live in UK, but I heard it’s very hot there. So I want to do this survey

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes yes, but generally no, so overall no.
It may vary based on how well you are able to cope with the heat, where you live, and what your house is like, but the vast majority of people would not benefit from an air con except on a handful of days of the year.

On the Tuesday (I had a chill on the Monday from my covid booster so the heat wasn't a problem then) it was warm, but a fan and some cold water was adequate (and better value for money than an air conditioning unit) for keeping me from melting.
My car has air conditioning. My house does not. If it’s hot, I open some windows or use a fan.

I don’t believe getting an air conditioning unit at home is worth it. I don’t tend to use my car aircon for long, just to make my car okay to be in otherwise it’s disgusting.
There are plenty of areas, including shops and other public spaces, that do have air conditioning. The issue is that it is not as widespread as countries with higher average temperatures, and our buildings and public spaces are often not built in a way to deal with high temperatures. So air conditioning is not particularly widespread in Spain, for example, but their houses are often built in such a way that they keep cool in hot temperatures, whereas ours are not. That means that when we do have very high temperatures we struggle with them because, whether by air conditioning or other means, we are not very well equipped to deal with them.

However, notwithstanding the high temperatures recently, the UK still requires much more energy to heat homes and buildings when it is cold, rather than cooling them down when it is hot. That is in contrast to hotter countries and hotter states in the US, for example, where the bigger issue is the higher temperatures, so they need energy (predominantly by way of air conditioning) to cool homes and buildings down. Even with the recent extreme temperatures in the UK (at least by UK standards), I don't think that general position has changed. I certainly don't feel the need to get air conditioning in my house, and I don't think there is really a case at this stage for it becoming more widespread in the country generally than it already is.
No, we have an air conditioner in the car, but in the house a fan is more than enough when it's hot. An AC would have been useful the last few days, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.
I will get a portable AC unit for next year probably. Eventually when I buy a house I'll install a proper split system.

This 40c weather is only going to get more common and British homes are not built for the heat - the only way to make it tolerable is to move it out by mechanical means.
We never needed it cos our country rarely gets hot and when it does it never used to get that hot. Even our heatwaves didn’t compare to other countries… until this week when he finally broke records. Even then it only lasted two days and now we’re just gonna have to see if it becomes a regular thing ever summer or if it was hopefully just a one off.
Temperatures will rise every year due to climate change... This recent heatwave was unbearable and now it's probably going to happen every single year from now on air conditioning may be a good investment.
A window air conditioning unit is like $200. So lets say £200. It gets hot every year in the UK, and a window AC unit is more than capable of massively reducing the temperature in the room it's in so how is it not worth the £200?
@jnpx321 A poll makes it easier to see what people's opinions are :smile:
I don't have a conditioner but I'm not opposed to it. I have purifiers dotted about because my lungs are crap.
Honestly at this rate I'd love to have aircon. Unfortunately it's rather expensive to buy a portable one as a renter, rather expensive to install a fixed one as a homeowner, and rather expensive to run in either case. Also, in the long run while it keeps the inside of the house cool, it does output a lot of heat making the outside warmer (and probably not exactly helping the climate situation in the first place...).

It has reached the point where just about every summer I think "maybe I should get a portable unit for next summer" so perhaps it's a sign that this is how it'll be and I ought to just bite the bullet and be damned with the consequences...
Original post by Sabertooth
A window air conditioning unit is like $200. So lets say £200. It gets hot every year in the UK, and a window AC unit is more than capable of massively reducing the temperature in the room it's in so how is it not worth the £200?

You underestimate the extent to which they're more expensive in this country because there isn't the same demand as in the US. You're looking at £500+ for a window air conditioning unit in this country, plus installation. And obviously they only cool the room they're in, not an entire house or apartment. So to cover an entire house or apartment, even just a main living room and bedrooms, it's thousands. You may still think that that's a good investment, of course, but it's certainly too expensive for the majority of households to realistically consider. Things may change as those higher temperatures become more common and more prolonged, of course.
Original post by Sabertooth

You can't use that window 365 days a year - but you'd probably only use the aircon a few days.
dunno about the USA but new build houses here have pokey little windows anyway. Most people prefer to manage with an electric fan.
I have a portable unit that I got when my daughter was a baby. It is bulky and very heavy but it can cool a single room if you don't mind the noise. Last week I ran it in the hall to cool down my dogs. I am seriously considering fitting a unit with a box on the outside to my home office as I am sure we are getting more hot days and working with lots of computers on can get very unpleasant. I'll wait till the current heatwave is over before looking at the options.
Original post by ReadingMum
I have a portable unit that I got when my daughter was a baby. It is bulky and very heavy but it can cool a single room if you don't mind the noise. Last week I ran it in the hall to cool down my dogs. I am seriously considering fitting a unit with a box on the outside to my home office as I am sure we are getting more hot days and working with lots of computers on can get very unpleasant. I'll wait till the current heatwave is over before looking at the options.

If youre going to be looking at heatpump home heating any time soon you can get heatpump systems that can do heating and cooling.
The weather is so unpredictable here and the cost of living keeps going up so nope
Original post by jnpx321
I don’t live in UK, but I heard it’s very hot there. So I want to do this survey

Air conditioner is needed everywhere
the climate is like nuts!
Reply 18
Consider just how horrible climate change is treating us, along with the current heatwave we've had (which is the first in a series which will progressively get worse);
Ideally it'd just be given & installed into every building, but alas. We will be left to be cooked alive for our reptilian overlords.
I think it's the oddest thing that they don't have it just incase for emergencies. No AC in schools, that's crazy to me even if it's just in the window ones.

Quick Reply

Latest