Have you ever seen a psychologist/psychiatrist? Watch

This discussion is closed.
puppy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Since most people on here are of the age group most prone to quite a few mental disorders, I thought it would be interesting to see who had sought professional help for anything. There've been lots of threads about eating disorders but not about anything else despite the fact that so many people suffer from anxiety, depression, personality disorders etc. If you are feeling particularly open it'd be great to hear why you sort help and whether you found it any good or not.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 14 years ago
The voices tell me to, but I never bother.

(No, I have no serious input.)
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was referred to one, saw a counsellor instead (don't know why), gave up.
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am a very open person :rolleyes: and I can tell you that I've never been or never will go see a psychiatrist/psychologist!! When i said once i'm depressed it was this one time in the month thing where you get depressed for just one day!!! LOL
Johnny 5
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
I was referred to one, saw a counsellor instead (don't know why), gave up.
Explain? You, mentally ill?
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've been to clinical psychologist and I'm training to be one!
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was sent to a psychoanalyist once by mistake. Hours upon hours of me saying "but WHY would being blamed as a child have anything to do with this?!"
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
Explain? You, mentally ill?
I dunno; I never saw the psychiatrist
Wild Thing
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
I dunno; I never saw the psychiatrist
LOL :rofl:
undiscovered
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was almost referred to one when I was in Year 3 (so about 7/8) because I was ill all the time but nobody believe me and I literally got dragged to school and one day it all came to a head and the f**king ***** called Mrs Gibbons grabbed my arm really hard and dragged me into the classroom in front of everyone (I was DEAD shy) and I was screaming and crying my eyes out and my mum got really upset and ran out of the school and left her hangbag behind...it went on... (jeeez, I now have some bloody tears in my eyes!) ANYWAY, they all thought I was making it up about feeling ill, despite that fact that everytime I felt ill I was takent to the doctor and he told me I had tonsilitis about 8 times in a few months and I nearly had to have my tonsils out. Yet everyone STILL thought I had a f**king mental problem or something and I was so close to going to a flippin' psychiatrist. Everyone I am still at school with now who was there at the time can remember the classroom incident.
G4ry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I was referred to one when i was about 8 for suspected hypochondria as i missed about 6 months of school because i wasn't feeling well. I think i only saw him once, but met frequently with one of the school's counsellors.

I was actually diagnosed with glandula-fever in that time period. I'm considering seeing a counsellor at the moment - last time i tried they had a waiting list of weeks.
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I went to one once, yeh, reffered by the doctor, she was very nice and helpful, but expensive. And hopefully will become one soon.
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yep. I was diagnosed as clinically depressed when I was 14, went to the Warneford in Oxford for a few months.. then I was discharged because they felt there was "nothing they could do for me". Then I saw a CBT therapist for six months which really helped and I ended treatment when I started sixth form!
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I haven't though I probably could do with going to see one...
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by F. Poste)
Yep. I was diagnosed as clinically depressed when I was 14, went to the Warneford in Oxford for a few months.. then I was discharged because they felt there was "nothing they could do for me". Then I saw a CBT therapist for six months which really helped and I ended treatment when I started sixth form!
CBT is great After seeing 5 separate people my CBT lady works wonders
F. Poste
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I know! I can't believe I was committed and saw so many different people when they could have just given me that first and saved many of the most miserable months in my life!
puppy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago

What do you see her for?
pink_lucie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
ive never seen one but i think i should!
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Its definatly had some very positive results over the past few years. Research is raving about it.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bit embarrassed about this so no coments please. When I was younger I went to a psychologist and a psychiatrist because I was depressed, self harmed and had anixety issues. It really helped and although it was a struggle I am much better now. Last time I went was when I was about 17.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.8%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.4%
Not great so far... (229)
35.45%
I want to drop out! (125)
19.35%

Watched Threads